Diet Soda Challenge

Options

Replies

• punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda is pretty much all this jonesing junk food junkie has left... I wouldn't give it up for all the money in the world!
  • deaddawn
    deaddawn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking diet soda all of 2011. I gained about 8 lbs. I tried drinking water or plain ice tea. Sometimes I would order plain ice tea and would discover that they gave me sweetened ice tea. If I'm in a drive-thru, it's because I'm in a hurry and don't have time for that. Also, I really only like my own brewed ice tea but often I didn't have time to make it, or I'd drink more than I thought I'd want, or I'd be out longer than I thought. I often wanted something I actually liked that I could buy anywhere so I occasionally drank juice, milk, or flavored coffee drinks instead. The extra calories put on the weight.

Sometimes, to both avoid drinking diet AND to avoid drinking something with calories I'd drink nothing at all and get dehydrated. I wouldn't even realize I wasn't getting enough liquids until I felt ill. I live in a very hot dry place where it's not hard to become dehydrated.

I was expecting to feel great or something while off soda but I didn't feel different. If anything I felt worse because of the increase in calories and weight.

So, nope, I already did the challenge.

Now I drink it in moderation. Sometimes I make myself drink a glass of water or ice tea first. If I still want a soda after that, I have one. I try not to keep it in the house all the time so I'm not always reaching for it.
  • rswood62
    rswood62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    save
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Has anyone who has done this seen a difference in weight or appearance?

I plateaued and cut diet coke out of my diet. I was drinking at least three a day. I dropped 8 more pounds. I don't know if there's any legit science behind it, but it worked for me. Good luck!!

Awesome thanks maybe I will try it out! Im a diet drinker one a day with lunch everyday, this could get rough!
  • jconnolly528
    Options
    I'll try it!
  • rswood62
    Options
    Wow, this wil be a really hard one for me because Diet Coke is like my coffee in the morning and a pick up in the afternoon but I really want to give it a try because my stomach always feels bloated and bubbly!! My brother gave up pop years ago and his headaches and body aches went away. I'm in starting tomorrow (drinking a diet dr pepper right now!!)

Are we going to start a separate group for this or just support each other on this thread??

Shelly
  • PHATFOBIA
    Options
    I cannot believe that ANYONE with even the slightest knowledge about health and nutrition with ANY amount of weight to lose or other health issues would even consider keeping up with a habit of drinking soft drink or soda pop as you call it. EVER. Most of you talk as though it was an essential foodstuff or cultural tradition or something. Same goes for the 'diet' versions which frankly are even worse.
  • BELIEVENME5
    BELIEVENME5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    GOOD CHALLENGE. I'm in, just wondering what i can replace it with. What do you all enjoy drinking after a work out, or with a meal?
  • rswood62
    Options
    I really like unsweetened tea and you can sweeten it with Stevia - they even have flavored Stevia. I also buy the sugar free tea sticks to go that you just pour into a 16 oz water bottle.
  • dolphintwin2000
    dolphintwin2000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drank it like everyday about 4-5 pepsis a day I quit drinking it and with the exercise and diet I was doing I lost 56 pounds. Low and behold I got pregnate I gained that and then some. I dont drink but one a week now. I have about 50-55 pounds to go to loose. I hope I can do it. I have an issue with artiffical sweetner. It gives me migraines. I have no choice but to drink water and unsweettea at times. I can not even drink flavored water do to the aspertaine,surclose and that I cant drink it.
  • rswood62
    Options
    What about naturally sweetened things that have cane sugar or Stevia?
  • dayotte33
    dayotte33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    W
  • rswood62
    Options
    So are we going to start a separate group or just support each other every day on this thread??
  • KH9107
    KH9107 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Starting today and I already have withdrawals (I am a self-proclaimed diet soda junkie)
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Drinking soda diet or other wise seems to be a very personal decision and people get all fired up like you started talking about religion or politics.

My challenge to you is stop drinking all soda, diet or otherwise for 30 days. Don't change anything else in your routine. Eat the same, exercise the same and come back and tell me what you experienced.

Anyone game?
    I will not give up Pepsi Max....NO NO NO! :happy: I will, however, give my left arm in exchange.

I'm SO with you on that one sister.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe that ANYONE with even the slightest knowledge about health and nutrition with ANY amount of weight to lose or other health issues would even consider keeping up with a habit of drinking soft drink or soda pop as you call it. EVER. Most of you talk as though it was an essential foodstuff or cultural tradition or something. Same goes for the 'diet' versions which frankly are even worse.

Believe it. And I'm a nurse. Shoot me.
  • LButterfly201
    Options
    I'll jump on this :) Will be good for me :) x
  • cdmalmrose
    cdmalmrose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those who, for personal reasons, believes that Diet Soda/Drinks are poison. I don't drink it, don't buy it and I don't encourage my family to either. But I have nothing against regular soda in general ... other that I know it is packed with sugar and calories. Which isnt the best for those of us who have a tendency to overindulge.

That said, I am an admitted Root Beer-o-holic and decided to cut back years ago when I was on weight watchers ... It's been now been so long since I've had one that I can barely remember how one taste. Thats good I guess.

Also ... I know that if I get a craving ... more for the carbonation than anything else these days, I drink soda or tonic water with lemon. That seems to help and is a nice change from just water. Most soda machines dispense plain soda water, which makes it nice when you are out and you don't want tea

Opting for regular soda over diet soda is only eliminating the artificial sweeteners and is bringing in real sugar. There's no health alternative by switching. It's basically eliminate all or not.

Yes I know ... thus my comment "I know it is packed with sugar and calories. Which isnt the best for those of us who have a tendency to overindulge." ...

Either way --- I rarely drink soda usually opting for unsweetened tea, coffee of water.
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What a great post/challenge! It's just what I needed right now as I am on my 4th day of no diet soda/caffeine and am having a strong craving. I already feel so much better. Of course I had a headache for the first couple days but now I feel really good. I'm hoping I can fight this craving today and continue.
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am in! I may need a support group though. I will have to find a way to get some caffeine though. I don't do coffee, so maybe unsweetened tea. I drink way too much diet coke!