Almond milk for a toddler?

Options
124»

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was the gut bacteria - babies & toddlers may not have the bugs to digest it, like not giving honey to young children.

But if in doubt, ask the doctor.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My son's 2 and has been drinking rice/almond/flax milk since a little while after his first birthday when we realized he was allergic to casein. His doctor says as long as he gets the healthy fats he needs elsewhere, it doesn't matter what milk he drinks. And no dairy products are necessary for a healthy diet, there are plenty of other, healthier ways to get the fats, calcium, etc that you get with cow's milk that are far more digestible for humans. Assuming he has no allergy to nuts, there's no reason he cannot have the almond milk. Especially at 4 years old.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? You're asking a forum of non-qualified people for advice on COMPLETELY REMOVING MILK FROM YOUR 4 YEAR OLDS DIET?! No.. stick with real milk - did you even read the packaging on almond milk?
    And in the future ask a doctor not the uneducated public.

Short of the fact that she is unsure, there is no reason to consult a doctor on the choice to remove animal milk from a child's diet as the animal milk is unnecessary to begin with. All that matters are the nutrients which can be found elsewhere. Way to be rude.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My son's 2 and has been drinking rice/almond/flax milk since a little while after his first birthday when we realized he was allergic to casein. His doctor says as long as he gets the healthy fats he needs elsewhere, it doesn't matter what milk he drinks. And no dairy products are necessary for a healthy diet, there are plenty of other, healthier ways to get the fats, calcium, etc that you get with cow's milk that are far more digestible for humans. Assuming he has no allergy to nuts, there's no reason he cannot have the almond milk. Especially at 4 years old.

Thanks, this all makes me feel better. I was glad he asked for it, then I started second guessing myself. But that was my first instinct, that he gets fats and dairy from plenty of other sources. Plus it's not like I'm saying he'll never drink cows milk again, I just wasn't sure if there was a specific reason why kids couldn't drink it. I had never been around young children before my son, so even at 4 everything it is a learning experience for me. :)
  • SnarkyMam0610
    SnarkyMam0610 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My son, who is 2 1/2, cannot have milk or soy so he is drinking almond milk which has more calcium than milk in it! He's been drinking it since he was 12 months and was taken off his special formula.
  • emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We (humans) are the only species that regularly drink the milk from another species. Almond milk is fine, honey.