Should insurance companies charge smokers?

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Would it be right for an employer to ban their employees from smoking, and treat cigarettes like they would any other drug like marijuana?

I I also think it should be banned from any and all workplaces (make it a terminable offense).

So, are you saying that people should be fired for smoking in the work place, or for smoking period?

People have been fired for smoking

They take too many breaks and smell bad in meetings.
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree 1000%
    I also they should charge extra for being:
    fat
    type 2 diabetics
    motor cycle riders
    sky diver
    boat operator
    drinker
    private pilot
    and any other thing that puts a person's life at risk including driving.
    Its a person's right to smoke, its legal and for all you nice folks that want to push your will on u,s that do, I wish you would push your will up your anal orifice. Have a nice evening.

I do get charged more for riding a motorcycle. From this list, you must either want to pay out that orifice you want stuffed or lead a very simple life. Especially since driving is on that list.

Edit: No I don't smoke
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ain't nobody wanna smell that nasty-*kitten* smoke.
  • melbellkid
    Options
    We have a wellness plan at work and there are the main insurance rates and then if you are a nonsmoker then you get a discount and also if you do the wellness which has yearly requirements you have to meet. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Either getting charged more to not participate and smoke or being rewarded for being healthy.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Would it be right for an employer to ban their employees from smoking, and treat cigarettes like they would any other drug like marijuana?

I I also think it should be banned from any and all workplaces (make it a terminable offense).

So, are you saying that people should be fired for smoking in the work place, or for smoking period?

It's certainly with in a company's power to have rules against smoking at work, and to fire violators accordingly. However I'm wondering if the OP is suggesting that people should be fired for smoking on their own time, away from the work place.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I agree 1000%
    fat
    type 2 diabetics
    motor cycle riders
    sky diver
    boat operator
    drinker
    private pilot
    Its a person's right to smoke, its legal and for all you nice folks that want to push your will on u,s that do, I wish you would push your will up your anal orifice. Have a nice evening.

Boy, that escalated quickly. Why so angry, guy? Calm down.

Not angry one bit. The OP stated their opinion, I stated mine. I am just tired of people treading on my liberties because of their beliefs. There have been other threads about this same topic and to me the people that start these threads just like to start *kitten* and push their agendas.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

It's certainly with in a company's power to have rules against smoking at work, and to fire violators accordingly. However I'm wondering if the OP is suggesting that people should be fired for smoking on their own time, away from the work place.

Maybe, but your lunch breaks and time before you start work are also your own time. Even when you smoke at those times you'll still stink when you come back to the office. A lot of people tend to be repulsed by that.
  • shara85
    shara85 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I work for a life insurance company as an underwriter. We do charge smoker rates, we also charge smoker rates for occasional MJ use. If you have done any other illegal drug in the past 5 years, declined.
    Alcohol use in moderation is okay.
    We also charge extra for diabetes, obesity, hypertension, cancer, CAD, psych ssues, family history, travel and most avocations/aviation. Anything that puts your lfe at risk we charge more for (not health, as we only pay when you die, not if you break an arm).

BUT it is not black and white. If I see a diabetic whose A1C is 5.9 with favourable build, blood pressure and who takes his meds regularly then I would very possibly give him standard rates. It depends on the person. I can assure you that every case is looked at on an individual basis. Not saying our procedure is perfect but we do try to help the client as much as possible.
  • tmanfromtexas
    Options
    I agree 1000%
    fat
    type 2 diabetics
    motor cycle riders
    sky diver
    boat operator
    drinker
    private pilot

I do get charged more for riding a motorcycle. From this list, you must either want to pay out that orifice you want stuffed or lead a very simple life. Especially since driving is on that list.

Edit: No I don't smoke

My point is that the OP only brings up smoking because it is apparent they are against it. They dont mention any other things that could cause "harm" to people. They just want to tread on my liberties and I am tired of hearing of it.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I agree 1000%
    fat
    type 2 diabetics
    motor cycle riders
    sky diver
    boat operator
    drinker
    private pilot

Boy, that escalated quickly. Why so angry, guy? Calm down.

Not angry one bit. The OP stated their opinion, I stated mine. I am just tired of people treading on my liberties because of their beliefs. There have been other threads about this same topic and to me the people that start these threads just like to start *kitten* and push their agendas.

so you think someone who engages in a higher risk activity shouldnt have to pay more for insurance? you think everyone should pay the same? they healthy 20 year old and the 88 year old obese person? the 16 year old driver will pay the same as the 40 year old?

i dont think you understand how insurance works if that is the case.
  • tmanfromtexas
    Options

Maybe, but your lunch breaks and time before you start work are also your own time. Even when you smoke at those times you'll still stink when you come back to the office. A lot of people tend to be repulsed by that.

Then we should also ban all perfumes and colognes because folks can be repulsed by that too. See how it works, one thing is taken away for the good of the people and the next thing that will be taken away will be something you hold dear and then what will you say then.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I think insurance companies should charge anyone with an IQ below 110 or above 140...
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I agree 1000%
    fat
    type 2 diabetics
    motor cycle riders
    sky diver
    boat operator
    drinker
    private pilot

Well damn it, I can take this further, charge extra to:

Angry *kitten* (heart rate)

Heavy Equipment Operators

High Rise window washers

race Car drivers

Snorkelers

Military (danger!)

High Rise construction workers

Deep sea fisherman (the help)

Police man (dangerous job!)

Fireman (fires)

I'm getting tired...........
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    insurance sucks.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Should insurance companies charge people who smoke MORE money?
    HeII yes!

What is dangerous about boating?
  • tmanfromtexas
    Options
    HeII yes!

You would agree then that hunters should be charged higher insurance rates, do to them having guns and bullets
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    8075631832_c312277731.jpg
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    HeII yes!

You would agree then that hunters should be charged higher insurance rates, do to them having guns and bullets

Shouldnt that be folks who live near neighbors with guns should be charged more?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    HeII yes!

how many people hunt every year? how many accidents are there? my guess it is a relatively low number and a rate increase isnt warrented. but you never know...
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    HeII yes!

How is that dangerous. I would wager my abilities to handle a firearm (including bullets) are statistically safer than majority of the populations driving abilities and the dangers of sharing a road with them.

Me shooting is not directly detrimental to my health (other's health maybe). Someone smoking can be directly related to the pathology they will suffer in the future.

For the sake of this argument however. Why not. Put every single activity on a risk scale and interview each insuree and determine their risk score. I would think handling firearms would be way low on the scale while smoking would be way high up there.