Food questions? Ask me anything

Replies

• tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    I don't have any questions at this time and not because I'm a good good by no means just wanted to say thank you. I have read everyone else questions and answers so have copied and paste a lot from this thread that I am excited to try. I will be looking forward to further postings. Sincerest thank you......
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Have any good salmon recipes?
    Don't have a lot of time tonight because I'm on my ER rotation, but wanted to take some time on my break and answer what I can in the little amount of time I have.

Salmon recipes...some of my favorites are sushi, salmon patties, and a
    Crispy skin seared salmon with a fantastic butter sauce..no time to post them at the moment, but keep your eye here, as I'll edit this with them tomorrow at some point.
  • bodyrollin
    Any recipes that don't include grains, flour, bread? Pretty much not high in carbs.

Oh and if you don't mind me asking did you take a culinary program ? Just wondering.
    tons, but do you have anything specific in mind? Something that you're looking for in particular?

And no, never taken a culinary program, but have been cooking for myself in one form or another since I was 9 sold my first recipe to a restraunt @ 17, executive chef by 20, and did that for 9 years before finding a different career path.

That's freaking awesome man. Sold a recipe? Impressive! Congrats.

Also, really doesn't matter man. ANYTHING. Soups, Salads, w.e.

Don't know how familiar you are with Google docs, but it would be a cool idea if you could store all your recipes there for EVERYONE to see.. It's your call. :bigsmile:

Appreciate all the help!
    I'll edit this later too...

As for the google docs I havent a clue how to set up a spreadsheet, but I'd be happy to contribute the knowledge base if someone else could help set it up and explain how to edit/add to it.
  • bodyrollin
    I would be interested in a recipe for a creamy tomato soup. It needs to be gluten free, and I typically don't use low fat or fat free anything. I tried a recipe once, but the milk curdled, and it just wasn't right. :(
    will edit later.
  • bodyrollin
    Have any good salmon recipes?
    Don't have a lot of time tonight because I'm on my ER rotation, but wanted to take some time on my break and answer what I can in the little amount of time I have.

Salmon recipes...some of my favorites are sushi, salmon patties, and a
    Crispy skin seared salmon with a fantastic butter sauce..no time to post them at the moment, but keep your eye here, as I'll edit this with them tomorrow at some point.
    for whatever reason it wouldn't let me edit...so anyway salmon sushi is pretty straight forward, just good fresh salmon, and a decent recipe for sushi rice (they're everywhere all you gotta do is search, for mine I just make short grain rice in normal fashion, then stir in a simple syrup made of equal parts rice wine vinegar, and sugar, with a pinch of salt...any combination of your favorite raw veggies with the salmon, and rice...spicy mayo (that awesome orange sauce on the spicy rolls) 1/4c mayo, 2 tsp siracha, 1tsp chili oil, and 1/2 tsp sesame oil...mix it together and put it on everything lol, it's great on everything from sushi to burgers, and even scrambled eggs.

If your salmon has been properly scaled, and still has the skin on, I recommend this next one.

Take a portion of salmon filet (4-6oz) rub with a little salt and pepper...heat up an oven safe skillet with a little olive oil, get the pan nice and hot (med-high) put filet in skin side down and allow to cook for about 4 minutes (skin should crispen, and turn golden brown on the light part of the skin. Remove the skillet from te burner and stick it in a 350 degree oven...bake for 12 mins, and pull the pan from the oven, and allow salmon to rest. Spoon some sauce (recipe to follow) onto it and serve. The skin is edible, and delicious if done correctly (crispy). For the sauce melt 1 stick of butter in a sauce pan SLOWLY, add in a chopped shallot, 1/4 c chopped fresh terragon, 3 tbsp heavy cream, and about 1/4c capers. Allow to come together (sauce should never get "hot" only warm enough to barely melt the butter, you always want te butter to stay creamy, never get hot enough to become clear) in a seperate pan reduce 1/2c Pinot grigio wine by half, once done slowly add this to the butter sauce mix...strain all the solids out of the sauce through a sieve, and you're done.

Salmon patties (I add this one because honestly, this was all I knew of salmon when I was a small kid, and it just warms my soul)

3/4 lb salmon filet seasoned with salt and pepper, baked in a 350 degree oven for 30 min...flake the meat, and combine in a big bowl with 1/4 cup each of flour, cornmeal, minced white onion, and capers. 3 tbsp mayo, egg, and a clove of minced garlic. Pan fry in a little oil until golden brown (obviously turning it over once) I always had mine with a little ketchup but is good with tartar sauce, mustard, or just a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Thank you so much for the salmon recipes!!! I'm not very fond of sushi, however the salmon with the sauce sounds Devine, as well as the salmon patties. Thanks again:flowerforyou: ,
  • lbcleveland
    lbcleveland Posts: 2 Member
    Wonderful knowledge! Thank you for the posts!

For me, I have so much trouble with rice. Mine is always undercooked when the directions say it should be done, and then once I add more liquid (water) the rice becomes gummy and sticky.

Here's the usual progression:
    - Boil specified amount of water from the rice bag instructions in a stainless steel 3 qt pot on a gas range
    - Add 1 cup of white or brown rice
    - Cover with lid and reduce heat to low for simmering
    - Set timer for instructed time
    - Stir 1-3 times in between
    - Check on rice after timer beeps, find rice undercooked
    - Add a 3/4 cup or so of water
    - Continue simmering/adding water until rice is cooked....but gummy

Any thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate your insight!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    bump
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    I just asked my MFP Friends tonight for their favorite home made salsa sauce to go with home made corn tortilla chips. My MFP Friends gave me their favorites now I would like to know your favorite.

I usually use Old Elpaso Salsa and Picante but it is so high in sodium and for blood pressure and Kidney reasons I have to keep my sodium to 1500 a day. I like the Salsa more on the chunky side. What is a quick easy recipe where ingredients can be found in Europe Grocery stores? There are no habenero peppers in our Produce section. I love garlic, onion, and can't go too spicy but want it to have a bit of a bite to it. Thanks in advance.
  • huge2fan2
    huge2fan2 Posts: 62 Member
    Bump.
  • bodyrollin
    Wonderful knowledge! Thank you for the posts!

For me, I have so much trouble with rice. Mine is always undercooked when the directions say it should be done, and then once I add more liquid (water) the rice becomes gummy and sticky.

Here's the usual progression:
    - Boil specified amount of water from the rice bag instructions in a stainless steel 3 qt pot on a gas range
    - Add 1 cup of white or brown rice
    - Cover with lid and reduce heat to low for simmering
    - Set timer for instructed time
    - Stir 1-3 times in between
    - Check on rice after timer beeps, find rice undercooked
    - Add a 3/4 cup or so of water
    - Continue simmering/adding water until rice is cooked....but gummy

Any thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate your insight!
    . Ok my thoughts for rice (as a side, not sushi rice) put the rice in a bowl, or pot, and fill with water, swirl around...strain in a sieve, or fine collandar, repeat until rinse water runs clear (not cloudy) then put the rice in the pot with cold water (amount determined by the recipe on the bag) and cook as instructed (rice is in the pan as the water heats, not added after its boiling...rice is different from pasta in this regard). For flavored rice experiment with the liquids (like stock instead of water, and adding in some herbs, or seasonings (personally I love rice with a mushroom stock liquid with rosemary, thyme, and lavender.) hope this helps (or you could get super adventurous and do risotto, or a pallella)
  • lbcleveland
    lbcleveland Posts: 2 Member
    Got it; thank you for the help! I'll try rinsing the rice several times and heating it with cold water when cooking. And the mushroom stock does sound delicious-- I've used chicken stock and coconut milk a few times but haven't branched out much. Risotto is a dream, though a far off one....looking forward to buying my first Arborio rice. Thank you again!
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Bump for reading later! Fabulous ideas :)
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    how about a way to make a low fat cheese cake? or am i dreaming? lol or a low fat punpkin cheese cake? again i could be dreaming

If Bodyrollin doesn't mind, as admitted not a pastry chef and not much experience with desserts, I can help with this one:happy:
    I'm just a home cook with a sweet tooth, I love pumpkin cheesecake. I have the ingredients at home and was going to experiment with an idea I had after seeing some recipes floating around. I never make a recipe as written, I always change it around. I have 4 12hour night shifts in a row to get through, then I have some time to play in the kitchen.
    I can tell you what I'm planning to use for the cheesecake, but I'm not sure what the measurements or nutrition will be until I've played with it.
    Pumpkin Puree, lowfat cottage cheese, eggs/egg whites, stevia or splenda nectresse, still debating on the crust,
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    how about a way to make a low fat cheese cake? or am i dreaming? lol or a low fat punpkin cheese cake? again i could be dreaming

If Bodyrollin doesn't mind, as admitted not a pastry chef and not much experience with desserts, I can help with this one:happy:
    I'm just a home cook with a sweet tooth, I love pumpkin cheesecake. I have the ingredients at home and was going to experiment with an idea I had after seeing some recipes floating around. I never make a recipe as written, I always change it around. I have 4 12hour night shifts in a row to get through, then I have some time to play in the kitchen.
    I can tell you what I'm planning to use for the cheesecake, but I'm not sure what the measurements or nutrition will be until I've played with it.
    Pumpkin Puree, lowfat cottage cheese, eggs/egg whites, stevia or splenda nectresse, still debating on the crust,

well once u make it if it comes out good message me the recepie lol
  • bodyrollin

would love to have a sweets helper on this project...thank you!
  • bodyrollin
    Any recipes that don't include grains, flour, bread? Pretty much not high in carbs.

Oh and if you don't mind me asking did you take a culinary program ? Just wondering.
    tons, but do you have anything specific in mind? Something that you're looking for in particular?

And no, never taken a culinary program, but have been cooking for myself in one form or another since I was 9 sold my first recipe to a restraunt @ 17, executive chef by 20, and did that for 9 years before finding a different career path.

That's freaking awesome man. Sold a recipe? Impressive! Congrats.

Also, really doesn't matter man. ANYTHING. Soups, Salads, w.e.

Don't know how familiar you are with Google docs, but it would be a cool idea if you could store all your recipes there for EVERYONE to see.. It's your call. :bigsmile:

Appreciate all the help!
    I'll edit this later too...

As for the google docs I havent a clue how to set up a spreadsheet, but I'd be happy to contribute the knowledge base if someone else could help set it up and explain how to edit/add to it.
    well here is one of my all time favorites, and seriously tell me if you want an entree, app, salad, side, or whatever...it's hard to know what direction to go if you don't tell me what you like lol. But any way here is the first...

Spaghetti squash alla carbonara:

Seed, and scrape out a spaghetti squash enough to get 1.5 lbs, toss with a little bit of olive oil, and salt spread single layer on a cookie sheet and put into a 350 degree oven for 13 mins. remove and set aside.

In a large sauté pan heat a little olive oil and sauté 3/4 cup pancetta (or bacon if you can't get pancetta) diced small until it takes some color and starts to crispen, then turn the heat off (leaving all the ingredients in the pan and setting the pan aside)

In a large bowl combine 8 eggs, 1/2cup each fresh grated Parmesan, and pecorino cheeses, a little salt and some fresh grated black pepper. Whisk together until mixture comes together and the cheeses are well blended/suspended in the mix

Return the skillet with pancetta to a medium heat, and once heated, add the spaghetti squash. Add the egg mixture and stir aggressively over the heat for 1-2 mins until egg mixture starts to look like a cream sauce...remove from heat, garnish with some fresh chives. and serve immediately.

Will also post this in favorite spaghetti squash recipes as well.
  • bodyrollin
    I just asked my MFP Friends tonight for their favorite home made salsa sauce to go with home made corn tortilla chips. My MFP Friends gave me their favorites now I would like to know your favorite.

I usually use Old Elpaso Salsa and Picante but it is so high in sodium and for blood pressure and Kidney reasons I have to keep my sodium to 1500 a day. I like the Salsa more on the chunky side. What is a quick easy recipe where ingredients can be found in Europe Grocery stores? There are no habenero peppers in our Produce section. I love garlic, onion, and can't go too spicy but want it to have a bit of a bite to it. Thanks in advance.
    ingredient availability check: how about Roma tomatoes, lime, cilantro, jalapeño, and white onion? Most of these seem like a dumb question but just making sure...
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    I printed out a conversion table (which I refer to all the time), highlighted the most common (cup, tsp, tbsp) put it in a page protector so it just takes a min. to find. If I like the recipe and am going to keep it, I convert the amounts, so the next time it's a snap to read and create.
  • Hi I just started four weeks ago. I usually eat raisin bran cereal in the morning with skim milk. I heard eating protein in the morning is better for you. Any suggestions as to what to eat in the morning. Something that is fast and easy.Thank you:smile::smile: