Food questions? Ask me anything

Options

Replies

• bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started four weeks ago. I usually eat raisin bran cereal in the morning with skim milk. I heard eating protein in the morning is better for you. Any suggestions as to what to eat in the morning. Something that is fast and easy.Thank you:smile::smile:
    Eggs...tons of protein and pretty quick...other than that, oatmeal with a scoop of muscle milk powder (vanilla, and cinnamon bun are my 2 favorite flavors for this) or a smoothie with Greek yogurt, and fresh baby spinach, with your favorite fruit flavors...all great easy protein laden breakfasts...also cottage cheese with fresh fruit is a good one as well.
  • jfishn
    jfishn Posts: 2
    Options
    The best is on a grill. 1. Grill over direct heat 12 to 15 min. until blackened and blistered. turning for even cooking. 2. Move peppers to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 15 to 20 Min. The steam trapped inside helps to release the skins. 3. When the peepers are cool enough to handle, remove and discard stems and seeds. Then peel off the blackened skins discard them. Cut or chop the yummy pepper. This works great with the large Bell Peppers.
  • bodyrollin
    Options
    Ok at the end of the first week of this, have I forgotten anyone? Did I leave anyone out?

And also I've posted an excellent in the thread about pb2 recipes (it's my twist on chicken satay with a spicy peanut sauce, it's fun because there is no sauce lol).
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Tried making my first baba ghanoush.... and for the most part it was ok..

But how would you best recommend perfectly roasting eggplant? I ended up throwing a good portion of it away because it was either overcooked or undercooked. Maddening.

Usually I'm a fairly confident cook.
  • bodyrollin
    Options

But how would you best recommend perfectly roasting eggplant? I ended up throwing a good portion of it away because it was either overcooked or undercooked. Maddening.

What's the hardware? (gas grill, charcoal, stovetop grill pan, or oven?)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Oven.
    But I'm open to using my electric stove.... if there is a better method. I'm kinda a baba junkie.
  • bodyrollin
    Options

Oven. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature...should be fine at that point...
    But I'm open to using my electric stove.... if there is a better method. I'm kinda a baba junkie.
    I'd recommend investing in a stovetop grill pan, but in the mean time, split the eggplant lengthwise, and brush the flesh side with olive oil heat the oven to 400 degrees with the cookie sheet in the oven, once preheated put the eggplant in flesh side down onto the heated cookie sheet and bake for half an hour. Pierce the skin of the eggplant in a couple places before you put it in the oven. Remove from oven, and allow to cool to room temperature...should be good to go at that point.
  • mmartiandt
    mmartiandt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in a recipe for a creamy tomato soup. It needs to be gluten free, and I typically don't use low fat or fat free anything. I tried a recipe once, but the milk curdled, and it just wasn't right. :(
    will edit later.

Just wanted to bump this one up in case it got buried.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bumping ! I am sure I have questions so will come back shortly

Also nice dog in the profile pic !
  • bodyrollin
    Options

Thanks...that's bodie my put bull, who's your rotty buddy?
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If Bodyrollin doesn't mind, as admitted not a pastry chef and not much experience with desserts, I can help with this one:happy:
    I'm just a home cook with a sweet tooth, I love pumpkin cheesecake. I have the ingredients at home and was going to experiment with an idea I had after seeing some recipes floating around. I never make a recipe as written, I always change it around. I have 4 12hour night shifts in a row to get through, then I have some time to play in the kitchen.
    I can tell you what I'm planning to use for the cheesecake, but I'm not sure what the measurements or nutrition will be until I've played with it.
    Pumpkin Puree, lowfat cottage cheese, eggs/egg whites, stevia or splenda nectresse, still debating on the crust,
    [/quote]

From someone else who has a very sweet tooth - any chance you could hit me with your best low calorie chocolate desserts - lava cake, tart, brownies, etc.... basically I love a nightly treat and always keep calories for something but now again go mad with 200 ish cal's (the less the better) and it would be great to have some new dessert options. I generally only eat dark chocolate and don't mind if something is more bitter than very sweet. Happy to try some unusual combinations, I'm not allergic to anything either. Oh and single serve idea's or recipes I can reduce as hubby isn't big on dessert and if there's a whole cake I'll end up eating it all throughout the week! :laugh:
    Please note I'm in Australia so don't have certain ingredients such as - only normal applesauce not unsweetened, I don't use sugar substitutes (way to expensive for me), no P2B, no black beans, ummm not sure what else....

Any chance you could help a chocolate addict out? :wink:
  • 1_day_at_a_time
    Options
    What is your favorite vegan recipe?
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    How do you perfectly roast potatoes? Mine sometimes end up mushy, not the crisp on the outside, pillowy on the inside!
  • bodyrollin
    Options
    I would be interested in a recipe for a creamy tomato soup. It needs to be gluten free, and I typically don't use low fat or fat free anything. I tried a recipe once, but the milk curdled, and it just wasn't right. :(
    will edit later.

Just wanted to bump this one up in case it got buried.
    Thank you! I knew there was probably something I was missing lol.

Ok get about 10 Roma tomatoes (2lbs or so) split them length wise and remove the seeds. Place them on a cookie sheet and drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle that with 5-6 cloves of fresh chopped garlic, and bake for about 20 minutes or so at 350 until tomatoes are soft.

In a stock pot (where your soup will ultimately end up so make sure it's big enough) heat a little olive oil and add in a medium diced yellow onion, and a diced carrot, sauté until the onion is soft. Add in your roasted tomatoes, garlic, and any of the roasting juices that are on that cookie sheet, plus about a pint and a half (3 cups, or 24oz) of vegetable stock, and about a half ounce of chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tbsp). Cook that for about half an hour and then purée in a blender, and add back to pot...meanwhile in a side sauce pan heat a cup and a half of heavy cream and reduce by half (cream by itself can be reduced without curdling, it's the acid from other ingredients that curdles it). Once that's done stir it into the soup and serve.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to share any recipes you might have for wild game? Mostly rabbit and deer? Maybe wild hog or squirrel? Thanks! :D
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    How do you perfectly roast potatoes? Mine sometimes end up mushy, not the crisp on the outside, pillowy on the inside!

I like to boil mine for about 15-20 minutes from cold, drain them and sprinkle a couple of spoons of polenta/maize meal over them. Put the lid back on the pot and give it a good shake to coat the potatoes and rough them up a bit. While the potatoes are cooking, put some vegetable oil in your baking pan and put it in the oven so the oil is nice and hot when the potatoes go in. You don't need a lot of oil - just enough to wet the potatoes. Lift the potatoes in one by one, shaking off any excess polenta. Toss them in the oil so they're coated all over and roast for about 45 minutes to an hour, turning a couple of times to get them crisp and golden all over. Works every time!

And now I'm really interested to hear what our chef suggests!
  • bodyrollin
    Options
    What is your favorite vegan recipe?
    I usually don't eat vegan, so I don't make much that is, however if I had to pick a favorite that I've had, probably fajitas made with portabella mushrooms instead of meat.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

Thanks...that's bodie my put bull, who's your rotty buddy?

Nice ! Jess the rottie, I also have 2 other dogs, Tyler the Amstaff and Bruno the mutt (staffy cross)
  • Joolya57
    Options
    I just made this today. Take a container (6 oz) of nonfat greek yogurt. Mix with 2 tbsp SF FF Cheesecake pudding mix. Add three packages splenda. After all mixed together, add 2 tbsp SF strawberry preserves (either Polaner or Smuckers make one that is basically all fruit with extra fiber mixed in). Mix well. If it's too stiff, add a little milk. You can freeze it; you can serve it with reduced fat/low fat graham crackers or reduced fat Nilla Wafers or just eat it all by itself. it's delicious!!!
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If Bodyrollin doesn't mind, as admitted not a pastry chef and not much experience with desserts, I can help with this one:happy:
    I'm just a home cook with a sweet tooth, I love pumpkin cheesecake. I have the ingredients at home and was going to experiment with an idea I had after seeing some recipes floating around. I never make a recipe as written, I always change it around. I have 4 12hour night shifts in a row to get through, then I have some time to play in the kitchen.
    I can tell you what I'm planning to use for the cheesecake, but I'm not sure what the measurements or nutrition will be until I've played with it.
    Pumpkin Puree, lowfat cottage cheese, eggs/egg whites, stevia or splenda nectresse, still debating on the crust,

From someone else who has a very sweet tooth - any chance you could hit me with your best low calorie chocolate desserts - lava cake, tart, brownies, etc.... basically I love a nightly treat and always keep calories for something but now again go mad with 200 ish cal's (the less the better) and it would be great to have some new dessert options. I generally only eat dark chocolate and don't mind if something is more bitter than very sweet. Happy to try some unusual combinations, I'm not allergic to anything either. Oh and single serve idea's or recipes I can reduce as hubby isn't big on dessert and if there's a whole cake I'll end up eating it all throughout the week! :laugh:
    Please note I'm in Australia so don't have certain ingredients such as - only normal applesauce not unsweetened, I don't use sugar substitutes (way to expensive for me), no P2B, no black beans, ummm not sure what else....

Any chance you could help a chocolate addict out? :wink:
    [/quote]

I'm waiting on the pumpkin cheesecake experiment to cool as I type. I usually do either single serve or pre-portioned in muffin tins. My hubby doesn't really eat dessert either, and if he did he can have the real thing(6'0" and 185lbs, :grumble: ) I make a great low-calorie almond milk pudding(custard) but I use sugar substitutes, Stevia is my favorite. It's not ridiculously more than sugar here and is worth it for the calorie savings to me. Can you tell me what you do have available, ingredients?