Women Shouldn't Lift Weights

Options
McBully4
McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
Ooops Women Should Lift Weights

I found this article this morning: There is a video along with the article I included the link at the bottom of this post.
There are dozens of myths about women and weight lifting, It’s time to obliterate these once and for all.

Myth #1 Weight Lifting Makes Women Big ‘n Bulky

It’s no surprise that this is still the most common female strength training myth. Frequent, progressive, heavy weight lifting with basic compound exercises does not make women big ‘n bulky.

The true culprit that gives a woman a bulky appearance is excess body fat. Period.

I can deadlift 330 pounds, perform weighted chin-ups, parallel bar dips, and squat 1.5 times my body weight. I’ve been called “big ‘n bulky” only once, as explained in the video. All of my female clients participate and perform progressive weight lifting (though I always use exercises that are appropriate for each woman and that she prefers), and no one in my 10 years of personal training ever complained of getting “bulky”.

Many women are hesitant to lift heavy weights at first because of this prevalent myth, but after a few weeks, they love the physical AND mental results they achieve. Bottom line — progressive strength training helps women build the body they truly want. It also helps increase self-confidence, which is an incredible bonus.

Myth #2 Weight Lifting is Not the Best Way to Lose Fat & Get That “Toned” Look

If a woman’s primary goal is to lose body fat and slim down, she just needs to do cardio, right?

Absolutely wrong.

The only way to get that “toned” look is to build some muscle and lose excess body fat. This is where strength training reigns supreme, not cardio. That’s why Lifting Like a Girl is the ultimate way to get the body you want in minimum time.

Myth #3 It Takes Too Much Time to Strength Train

No, it doesn’t. You can perform an effective workout in as little as 30 minutes a few times per week. As long as you are performing compound exercises and challenging yourself (using enough weight!), and you improve your performance, you don’t need a lot of time.

In fact, you can get in a much more effective, productive strength training workout in 20 minutes than you could with 45+ minutes of traditional cardio. Doing squats, push-ups, and inverted rows for 20 minutes will do much more for your physique than plodding along aimlessly on a cardio machine for 45 minutes. You can Lift Like a Girl & Look Absolutely Awesome in minimum time.

Myth #4 You Need a Lot of Equipment

Again, no!

Do you need a fully loaded gym to build a strong, lean, and healthy body? Nope.

You can build the physique you want no matter what equipment you have, or don’t have. Only have your bodyweight and dumbbells to work with? You’re all set.

What if you only have your bodyweight? Can you build a great body with only bodyweight exercises? Absolutely!

Bottom line — whether you can only workout at home with your bodyweight or you have access to a loaded gym, you can build the body you want

Myth #5 Strength Training is Dangerous

Anything is dangerous if you do it incorrectly. Strength training is no exception.

As long as you take the time to learn proper form on the basic exercises, weight lifting is very safe. End of story.

Myth #6 The “Proper” Way for Women to Strength Train is to use Light Weight for High Reps

This is still a common recommendation. Women should only use very light weights for high reps (usually 15 or more), or so the myth goes.

There are so many things wrong with that statement I don’t know where to begin, but I’ll try.

For one, I like to encourage women to challenge themselves and discover what their bodies are capable of doing; to see the physical strength they possess. This cannot be accomplished with triceps kick-backs with a soup can; not even a “family size” soup can.

Second, if you don’t use a challenging load, you won’t provide your body with a stimulus that is must adapt to. For instance, if you work your way up to picture perfect push-ups for 10 or more reps, you’ll get those sexy arms you’re after. A soup can won’t be able to do that because the weight never changes and super high reps with baby weights won’t be a challenge to your body.

Third, lifting heavy weights (5-10 reps, primarily) will lead to an increase in self-confidence. Unless you’ve experienced this phenomenon for yourself, you’ll just have to take my word for it. I’ve witnessed this with every single female client. Think you’ll feel strong and confident after vigorously attacking the Shake Weight for five minutes? Didn’t think so.
http://www.niashanks.com/2012/10/myth-buster-6-female-strength-training-myths-that-wont-die/

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    But if they lift weights, they will look bulky and like men right?
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    :happy: Yay for lifting!!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Only if they go over 60g of protein in a day. Even by 1 gram. Next day, they wake up She hulk.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Women should NEVER lift weights. We will become men and grow weiners.
    Women, please-remember to stick to cardio only and 1000 calories a day.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I GREW A WEINER JUST FROM READING THIS

THANKS A LOT!!!!!! (not)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Woman should def lift! it is hot!!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Women should NEVER lift weights. We will become men and grow weiners.
    Women, please-remember to stick to cardio only and 1000 calories a day.

Well I think women who lift look very sexy! Never saw one with a weiner? Does that really happen? If so how big is it?
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I almost went beast on you over the title ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Do you know how difficult it is to hide a wiener in bikini bottoms, especially if you want to show you have a thigh gap?! :sad:
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used to be a woman...then I started lifting...
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I read the title, and got all :angry: :explode:

Then I read what you wrote and i was like :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

I LOVE lifting! I feel so powerful, strong and confident :)
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    TRU DAT.

Jamie Eason & Ashley Horner <3
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for more than a year and I still not have a Weiner........it suck.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do you know how difficult it is to hide a wiener in bikini bottoms, especially if you want to show you have a thigh gap?! :sad:

Yep, this one almost made me spit coffee all over my keyboard!

I lift. I love lifting. My weiner is small, but I hear that it's not the size that matters...
    I also try to have 125 - 150 grams of protein a day, so I'm hoping that will help my weiner to grow.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Only if they go over 60g of protein in a day. Even by 1 gram. Next day, they wake up She hulk.

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap I've been eating 100-150 grams a day. When can I expect SheHulk transformation?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What if the weight I lift is the penis I sprouted from lifting?

If you know what I'm saying.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    bump

You don't need to bump a thread that someone responded to one minute ago

(unless you're referring to the bump in your pants?)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I see what you did there..lol
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap I've been eating 100-150 grams a day. When can I expect SheHulk transformation?

No she hulk yet? You must have accidentally come in contact with an elliptical machine.