Women Shouldn't Lift Weights

Options

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread! I'm just starting with lifting.
  • Angrideout
    Options
    This is great! I lift and yep haven't turned into a guy yet!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    imagesCAQQQDN5.jpg

OMG SO FREAKING CUUUUUUTE!
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    When I first joined my old gym there were three PT sessions. I liked the lifting part of the PT sessions, but when it came time to do it by myself I was intimidated. Too many bulky men walking around with their muscles hanging out. I felt foolish and stuck to the cardio machines. Now I can't really afford the gym, I'm doing well on cardio but I know I need to add weights I'm not just sure how to do it without actual weights.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    yes!!! The self confidence thing. I dead lifted heavier weights the other day and WOW!!! I felt like she-man walking out of the gym that night LOL!!!! I couldn't stop "bragging" :bigsmile:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Love this!!! I've been lifting since May and while I haven't grown a weiner, I've had a few lent to me...my just reward I'd say.

I nominate this greatest comment of the thread award.

How YOU doing? :smokin:
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It works the other way around, too.

I stopped lifting for a week...jumped on the elliptical every day for 7 days.
    Lost my weiner, grew boobs.

True story.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    This thread is cracking me up:laugh: I look better than I have ever looked in my adult life thanks to those big, mean dumbbells at the gym:tongue:
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My hole hasnt grown into a pole ... So I shall continue to lift heavy weights

*flexes* <urrggghhh>
  • bellydancer124
    Options

True story.

And I'm sure you haven't left the house since. :wink:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread! I'm just starting with lifting.
    imagesCANOAAWY.jpg
    yup, wouldn't mind looking like a less green version of that lol
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options

True story.

And I'm sure you haven't left the house since. :wink:

They're just so much fun!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    imagesCAQQQDN5.jpg
    Oh man this totally cracked me up!
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    bump
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Serious question. I love lifting and think all women who are able should try it out. It has amazing benefits. However, sometimes the weight area of the gym can be intimidating to a woman who is starting out lifting for the first time, especially if the number of men is significantly greater than the # of women in the weight area of the gym. Its great to read about the benefits, the results, and how its empowering and fun (and it is!) What advice would you all have for a woman who has everything she needs to begin physically lifting, but may have difficulty just mentally breaking into the typically male-centered weight training gym area?

I know myself, I had a difficult time "getting over it" and starting to lift. I had to go with a friend at first to spot me and keep me from being the only woman in the area. After a while of getting more comfortable with my lifts I am a lot more confident and I feel "at home" there, but this may be an issue for some women still.

What say you all?
    When I began lifting, I was very skinny and didn't have much strength compared to other guys my age at the time. You can't compare yourself to what others are doing and lifting - just compete with yourself.

And the idea that the "typically male-centered weight training gym area" is related to the OP's point - that, like males, a woman's primary exercise should be strength-training. Once you eliminate the concept that women run on a treadmill and guys lift, and you begin to see your sense of confidence and strength jump through the roof, you won't think that any more.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    bump

Bump for women awareness of the dangers of weights
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options

*flexes* <urrggghhh>

HAHA! Seiously LOL'd then!
  • kenyajae
    Options
    imagesCAQQQDN5.jpg
    Oh man this totally cracked me up!

Yup - me too
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for posting this!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options

*flexes* <urrggghhh>
    :heart: :laugh: :drinker: