Staying full on a healthy diet

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Why shoudl you care what some bozo, whom you don't know and doesn't know you, says about your food choices? Some critique might be useful. You can easily ignore the meathead comments. I'm sure you're a big girl and can take it.

I dunno, that's why I don't have my diary open either.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    since when do grains cause heart issues?

Since the latest, greatest diet book hit the best seller list. {Insert title here}

How about since heart disease etc is caused by inflammation, of which carbs are the prime suspect.
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was on Weight Watchers and lost weight by eating the things I wanted for most of the day, and when I was out of "points" I would eat this 0 point soup. It was broth based with cabbage, celery (no carrots, peas, corn, potatoes or 'carby' veggies), etc... I would fill up my tummy on this. I also would eat it all day long if I knew I was going to go out that night and wanted to eat what I wanted. I would make a huge pot of it. This might help you - although that soup does have calories that you would have to account for... you could basically eat those yummy things and use the soup for bulk. I know you don't feel full on veggies (nor do I) - but for some reason this soup was our groups greatest weapon. I lost 40 pounds eating like that in 2004. Not going back to WW - but have been considering breaking out the soup pot to do this again :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but I find unhealthy foods (bacon, white bread, full fat cheese, etc.) much more filling than the healthier options I know I should be eating.

I find this hard to believe? Bacon filling? Satisfying, maybe, but just how much bacon are you eating that it fills you up? And whole grain bread is much denser than white. Most people complain that it's too heavy compared to white, not the opposite.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit it, but I find unhealthy foods (bacon, white bread, full fat cheese, etc.) much more filling than the healthier options I know I should be eating.

I find this hard to believe? Bacon filling? Satisfying, maybe, but just how much bacon are you eating that it fills you up? And whole grain bread is much denser than white. Most people complain that it's too heavy compared to white, not the opposite.

By itself it wouldn't be too filling, but if I mix it with other things I find it fills me up quickly. And I stay full, or at least satisfied, for a long time afterward. I do agree that whole grain bread can be just as filling as white.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Since the latest, greatest diet book hit the best seller list. {Insert title here}

How about since heart disease etc is caused by inflammation, of which carbs are the prime suspect.

Suspected by whom?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was on Weight Watchers and lost weight by eating the things I wanted for most of the day, and when I was out of "points" I would eat this 0 point soup. It was broth based with cabbage, celery (no carrots, peas, corn, potatoes or 'carby' veggies), etc... I would fill up my tummy on this. I also would eat it all day long if I knew I was going to go out that night and wanted to eat what I wanted. I would make a huge pot of it. This might help you - although that soup does have calories that you would have to account for... you could basically eat those yummy things and use the soup for bulk. I know you don't feel full on veggies (nor do I) - but for some reason this soup was our groups greatest weapon. I lost 40 pounds eating like that in 2004. Not going back to WW - but have been considering breaking out the soup pot to do this again :)

I don't mean to offend you, and maybe I'm wrong, but it seems pretty clear from your post that you put the weight back on, so is eating a big pot of hot vegetable-flavored water really a sustainable plan? This sounds a lot like the "cabbage soup diet". I really enjoy the broth/tomato/cabbage/carrot/peas/green bean soup (my grandmother used to make it) once in a while but if you really need to fill your stomach up with something that has barely any nutritional relevance, aren't you just kind of nurturing an addiction to having your stomach full?
  • bcattoes
    Options

By itself it wouldn't be too filling, but if I mix it with other things I find it fills me up quickly. And I stay full, or at least satisfied, for a long time afterward. I do agree that whole grain bread can be just as filling as white.

People have varying ideas of "healthy" eating. Are you skimping on seasoning and/or fat? Because let's face it, it is the fat and seasoning in bacon that makes it so satisfying. Use healthy vegetable fats (olive, peanut, sunflower, sesame, etc. oils),and plenty of seasonings in your dishes, One my favorite dishes of any kind (healthy or not) is roast port loin with root vegetables. And it's extremely healthy and filling.

Just make whatever you like - tacos, nachos, pizza, stew, chili, omelettes, pasta sauces (use a little less pasta and a lot more sauce), burgers, whatever - just use lean meats, reduced fat cheeses, healthy oils and plenty of vegetables. Feed your senses and your tummy will be happy.
  • nesman89
    nesman89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In my opinion "If you not hungry you're not dieting" I don't mean starving but it's near impossible to lose weight and not be hungry at some point during the day.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    In my opinion "If you not hungry you're not dieting" I don't mean starving but it's near impossible to lose weight and not be hungry at some point during the day.

this is so true. I mean people might try some placebo, but if you are cutting you will always experience some form of hunger. How you manage it its up to you, and its very individual. something that works for me, wont work for you.

Eating 1kg vegetables will only make me more hungry.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Suspected by whom?

Sorry, poor choice of words. Prime culprits.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I felt hungry when I first started changing my diet. I soon learned that foods with plenty of fiber kept me fuller longer. My favorites are homemade vegetable soup (w/ or w/o chicken or beef), homemade stir-fry (with firm tofu), 1/3 c. of oatmeal cooked in microwave for 5 minutes topped w/ 1 T. of peanut butter, 6 dates, 1/3 c of milk; lentil soup with garnet yam slices cooked in, or a large salad with a light dressing and 1 or 2 T. of hummus plopped on top are all incredibly delicious and have helped me to feel better than I have in several years.

My husband went to the doctor yesterday and was down 3 pounds from his last visit, a healthy side effect to my changing our family's menus to more fruits/vegs/complex carbohydrates.

I wish you success with your weight loss/fitness goals. You're worth this. <3
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I am sorry you feel this way. But I do not diet, I eat healthy. I have no desire to live a life that means I am intentionally hungry, period

I do not eat the way I do so I can be skinny, although it is a pleasant side effect of my choices. I eat the way I do so I can be healthy and be here for the people that I love and that love me. I have a sister that was diagnosed with cancer this summer, things really hit me hard when I found out. It is my responsibility to take care of me so I can be there for her, and those wonderful nieces and nephew of mine.

I also did not get to look like this by eating bacon, I am one of the dreaded food nazis we hear so much about that thinks it is evil BUT, in saying that , it is important to note that it is evil for ME. Saturated fats are not a friend to my bloodstream nor are they my cholesterol. And yes, after many years of seeing what "works" for me, it is animal fats that hurt me.

I am in agreement with the lady that spoke of the oatmeal and black bean chili. Those are two meals that will stick with you. I have a healthy cooking site on facebook. The link to it is on my profile page if you would like to check it out for healthy cookinthg and eating ideas. I am a foodie and love to eat. This means food must taste good to me. So I create meals that are good for me and taste good too. It is not that hard once you wrap your head around the fact that this is the way it is going to be from now on.

It is also important that we make small changes at a time. Giving every thing up all at once is a recipe for failure to me. This is a journey, not a race.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER!!!

Did I mention water? lol. Try and drink a FULL glass of water before and during your meals!

And not to be pessimistic, but you're on a diet, so you're going to be hungry more often. Your body is intentionally living off a smaller amount.

I don't see myself as being on a diet, to be honest. I'm trying to make little changes to the way I eat that will add up to a decent difference on the scale. My goal is not to be restrictive.
    the problem is that you have to make changes overall. the weight didn't magically appear (not to be mean) so there have to be changes. I know I felt the same way. The responder stating that "you are on a diet" isn't exactly correct, but if you were used to gorging yourself on crap, then your stomach is distended and you have to shrink it. You have to go hungry for a little bit before your body will adjust. Drinking a full glass of water before and after a meal can help that. I lost 15 pounds doing that without exercise.

Also, bacon and cheese aren't bad persay but the people saying the good fat (mono, poly unsaturated fats) are correct that those fats are more beneficial and easier to burn off than saturated fat. Overall, we do need fat in our diet.

Okay, I see where you're coming from, and I understand that you have to change your overall approach to food -- I know because I've done it before. But I didn't "gorge myself" on anything. I'm not even that overweight -- I'm 167 lbs and shooting for 140.
    I wasn't implying you did... I said "if" you were used to doing it. It's just an option. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.
  • c0ffee_l0ver
    c0ffee_l0ver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cheese is GREAT in moderation. So don't eat an entire block a day ;) Its the proteins and fats in the cheese that are filling you up. If you add protein to every meal AND every snack you should feel fuller. So a serving of cheese, sunflower seeds are good, hummus is a great way to spice up your veggies, greek yogurt is good, or just sandwich meat. I'm trying to eat more whole foods but protein bars are delicious and protein powders can be added to just about everything. Remember to eat every few hours and find what works for you. You shouldn't be famished to be healthy :)
  • healthyandlovely
    Options
    hardboiled egg......it's very filling and nutritious. My dad lost a lot of weight by 'snacking' on hardboiled eggs and eating smaller protions of 'regular' food at mealtimes. Also drink more water or herbal tea......A tablespoon full of PB on some carrots or celery as a snack is also very filling. I find that eating high protein and some fat works well as filling snacks (just make sure you watch the total amount/cals and keep it at a snack portion.)

I definitely agree with this - hard boiled eggs are really filling!
  • c0ffee_l0ver
    Options

The truth is, the more junk you eat, the more you'll want it instead of the good stuff.

Actually that's not the truth. But thanks for playing! :smokin:

Pretty sure it is the truth. I can't quote the science behind it, but when I cut out unhealthy carbs and fats... cookies, chips, all the delicious goodies that make us fat... I don't crave them anymore.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Suspected by whom?

Sorry, poor choice of words. Prime culprits.

According to whom?
  • c0ffee_l0ver
    Options

I am sorry you feel this way. But I do not diet, I eat healthy. I have no desire to live a life that means I am intentionally hungry, period

I do not eat the way I do so I can be skinny, although it is a pleasant side effect of my choices. I eat the way I do so I can be healthy and be here for the people that I love and that love me. I have a sister that was diagnosed with cancer this summer, things really hit me hard when I found out. It is my responsibility to take care of me so I can be there for her, and those wonderful nieces and nephew of mine.

I also did not get to look like this by eating bacon, I am one of the dreaded food nazis we hear so much about that thinks it is evil BUT, in saying that , it is important to note that it is evil for ME. Saturated fats are not a friend to my bloodstream nor are they my cholesterol. And yes, after many years of seeing what "works" for me, it is animal fats that hurt me.

I am in agreement with the lady that spoke of the oatmeal and black bean chili. Those are two meals that will stick with you. I have a healthy cooking site on facebook. The link to it is on my profile page if you would like to check it out for healthy cookinthg and eating ideas. I am a foodie and love to eat. This means food must taste good to me. So I create meals that are good for me and taste good too. It is not that hard once you wrap your head around the fact that this is the way it is going to be from now on.

It is also important that we make small changes at a time. Giving every thing up all at once is a recipe for failure to me. This is a journey, not a race.

Amen sister! :)