Scared to Get Pregnant...

Options

Replies

• uxbridgeheli
    Options
    Everyone is different - there are many horror stories out there.
    I couldn't keep a thing down for the first 5 months and lost weight.
    I was only 14lbs heavier when I gave birth from my start weight.
    My DD is now nearly 15 and I am the lowest weight I have been since I was 26 (44 now)
    It's up to you how you manage your weight.
    You should continue (if possible) and healthy eating plan when you are pregnant.
    Only you can make this decision but weight should not factor into it at all!
    H x
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I think a lot of us understand what you're feeling. When I was pg with my daughter, I had to be put on complete bed rest for 3 weeks and then modified bed rest for the remaining 4 months of the pregnancy. That made it impossible to exercise and I gained a ton of weight (close to 60lbs); a lot of it had to do with being depressed/bored due to the bed rest and eating more than I needed to. Even though I was younger (26), it was much harder to get it off even with breastfeeding exclusively. I did eventually get it off though. I gave birth again as a gestational surrogate for a friend and was able to be active during the pregnancy and ate sensibly. I gained around 40lbs. I pumped for a few weeks and got right back into exercising vigorously as soon as the doctor said I could at my 6 week follow up apt; in fact I started a boot camp the following Monday after being given the go ahead. It's been about 4.5 months since the birth and I've lost all of the weight and am continuing to loose.

I definitely think if you're fit/healthy going into the pregnancy, continue to make healthy choices during the pregnancy and after, you'll be just fine. Heck, at my age (34) and having given birth only 4.5 months ago, I'm probably nearly as fit as I was in high school now (5'10" and 155).
  • savannahjo92
    Options
    I've read up on this and all you have to do to stay at a healthy weight is eat like you've been doing while you're dieting! Eat clean!! :) If you're eating good foods, there will be no way you will gain 90lbs!! You don't even have to increase your calorie intake until the 3rd trimester! And that's only by 300 calories or so! You can also workout while your pregnant! That way you will be keeping your muscles!! I knew a lady who was super fit and ran 6 miles the day before her son was born!!! Crazy!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Well, if you properly log your calories, it shouldn't be a problem. And hey, maybe you will be nauseous the whole time and lose a couple pounds.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I haven't had kids so most people will probably say I can't have an opinion but....

The people who gain 90 pounds are the people who eat whatever the f* they want and as much as they want for 9 months "because they're pregnant".

The ones who never lose the weight after and blame genetics never tried really hard to do it. I see plenty of moms on here losing the baby weight, immediately after and years after having their kids. Those who lose it more quickly (like every celebrity ever lol) are netting less calories (and probably didn't gain that much extra to begin with).
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight after I had my twins but my tummy wasn't the same and never will be probably. They are worth it though. I've been a little slower on getting back in gear after my third, but that was me, not pregnancy. I was tired from having three kids in two years, you forget how much better you feel when you take care of yourself. Just don't forget that.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight with each one of my pregnancies. I was able to lose it each time (I have 3 kids) but it did take me a while. But, it's a small price to pay.

I think the key is to watch what you eat throughout. When I get pregnant, I pretty much eat whatever I want, whenever I want. The very minute I would get a positive test, I'd be like "It's positive. Let's EAT!" There were nights I had my husband running for pizza at midnight (he gained 20 pounds during my first pregnancy too). You just gonna remember that being pregnant isn't a license to eat whatever you want.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    please don't let gaining weight scare you from getting pregnant!!!! you will gain weight...and likely more than you plan...but it will come off!!! if you put your mind to it and take care of your body during and after pregnancy you can shed the pounds :) my daughter was born 29 weeks ago tomorrow and just this morning i stepped on the scale and saw my pre-pregnancy weight!!! :) and 3 weeks ago i ran my 3rd half marathon and got my best time ever...all of that after gaining a little under 43 lbs while pregnant AND i am 29 years old (so not super young)!!! i do breastfeed, but i also got into a routine early on with my daughter to make walking and running together a priority...i eat well and count my calories, but i also allow myself ample treats :) my body is not 100% where it was pre-baby, but i have faith it can get there...don't let weight gain hold you back :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Check my friend Yanicka out - pictures towards the end of this thread - she's had six babies and has the most enviable flat belly I've seen!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/767394-700-days-on-mfp
  • naomipelley
    naomipelley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 pounds with my first and lost it (with lots of working out & breastfeeding) in about 10 months. I was told by a few people I looked better than before I got pregnant (weighed the same before and after). I think the reason is that with a child I HAD to schedule my workouts and even valued them MORE because that time was so sacred. Prior to children, I tended to make excuses and would miss a workout. I just had my 2nd baby a few months ago and gained a little more than with the first. I am older and realize it will be more difficult; but I know I will take it off...I just can't be concerned with how long it will take. One day at a time. Absolutely NOTHING can compare to the feeling of holding and feeding your own baby. Don't get tied up in your body image...it isn't worth it and that is not why we are put on this earth. Just be healthy and listen to your gut.
  • JoyfullySimpleFit
    Options
    I would love to experience the miraculous wonders of pregnancy and childbirth..however I have been running from the possibility everytime I think of how much weight I would gain. I've heard some people have gained 90 pounds! Seriously??!!?? I've also heard it's ridiculously hard to get off. The basic motto is either you've got "the snap back genes" or you don't. :( Is this true?
    But what you are not taking into account is YOURSELF! These are personal experiences and no one is the same as everyone else. Fitness/Health is something to take into account too. If you were fit/healthy before pregnancy, continue to workout during pregnancy (under doctors advisement of chores), and workout after pregnancy you are likely to be more apt to "bounce back" faster. And your less likely to gain a ridiculous amount of weight. It really is all up to you and your nutrition/fitness. There are all kinds of workouts that you can do during pregnancy and if you worked out before hand its not advised to just stop because you are now pregnant.
    Point is do not worry about it. Enjoy the wonders of pregnancy and parenthood. Even if you only do it once, its an unforgettable and indescribable, and totally enjoyable experience. It you want you can feel free to add me as a friend and if you just need to talk let me know! :D
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I would love to experience the miraculous wonders of pregnancy and childbirth..however I have been running from the possibility everytime I think of how much weight I would gain. I've heard some people have gained 90 pounds! Seriously??!!?? I've also heard it's ridiculously hard to get off. The basic motto is either you've got "the snap back genes" or you don't. :( Is this true?

I know how you feel. we have been trying for 7 years, and I would love nothing more to be a mom.. but the thought of gaining all the weight I've worked so hard to lose scares me... oye!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    The key is controlling your diet just as much while your pregnant as you do now. Healthy food is important for your baby too. Healthy weight gain is about .5 lb/wk in the first trimester, 1lb a week during your 2nd, and physician consult thereafter. And that includes the 6-8lb baby et al. It's just about perspective and control, just like it is now. 25-35 is the normal range (again for total).

But really, it's about deciding what you want. If you want kids, figure out a way to make it work. If you really don't, which you are totally allowed, it's OK that way too.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I can't wait--snap back genes or not, I think giving birth is one of the most beautiful and amazing gifts in the entire world!

^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^

I gained about 20 to 25lbs with both of mine. Not bad at all. Left the hospital with only 10lbs left to lose.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Umm.. i think all women are different and you never know till you become pregnant and have a baby. I only gained 35 pounds, but i ate pretty good and worked out my whole pregnancy. I also started my pregnancy over weight. Its all up in the air.. just the cards we are dealt
  • LadonnaFunk
    LadonnaFunk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if you eat healthily and continue to exercise as you are able to, you won't gain 90lbs. When you gain the recommended amount, about ten pounds of that ends up going to fat stores for breastfeeding. So by a few weeks out (once all the water retention has sorted itself out), you'd be left with about 10lbs to lose. Some people find that with breastfeeding weight loss is easy to do, some people can't seem to lose the last bit until they are done. Either way, you'll be left with weak abdominal muscles that need to be strengthened again. Having a baby is sooooo worth doing!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You should only be gaining 25-35 lbs during your pregnancy.. People that go crazy thinking they really have to eat "for 2" gain the 90.
    Which you only need to add like 200-300 calories during ur 2nd and 3rd trimester
    I will admit its hard not to go into your cravings and I never didnt eat what i wanted lol... I had a burger king chicken sandwhich with extra mayo EVERY single day i was pregnant. But I made sure I was walking also.... But I gained the right amount 27 lbs. Which almost 8 lbs was my daughter and a few other lbs is the other "stuff".

If you breast feed the weight comes off quick... I lost it all and got super thin. Then I stopped and thought I could eat whatever still, and gained weight back.

I got serious about weight loss when she was about 1 1/2 half and took her to the gym w me every day.
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My wife is a bigger girl. Not fat but just not skinny minny either. When she got pregnant with both of my sons she gained a total of 10lbs each time. she was strict with her diet and didn't have the i can eat everything attitude she also walked 3-4 miles everyday. She even did this on the day of birth for both boys. Its been my experience with friends and women in my family that once they have kids they forget to take care of them selves because they are to worried about taking care of the baby and they haven't gotten great amounts of support from their significant others. My wife didn't have this problem as I have always been and will always be a strong supporter of her. So as long as you go into it knowing what you want you should be fine.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it.

I gained 60 lbs with my first (and I'm 5'2" so it showed!), lost that, then gained 40 lbs with my second. Now I'm back to my high school weight (125). My skin looks a lot worse for the wear, but oh well. 2 happy healthy kids I wouldn't trade a flat tummy for any day!!!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Although I didn't care about it at the time, I understand where you are coming from. :) My mother, while not huge, was a bigger woman when I was growing up. I was scared that would happen to me, but her stories of walking out of the hospital in her pre-pregnancy clothes were enoug to keep me from eating healthy.

With my first child, I gained 54lbs eating what I wanted, when I wanted. I had a c-section and walked out of the hospital weighing exactly what I weighed walking in (didn't even lose the 8lb 10oz that was my son). I was ticked. The next day I began to reclaim my weight and just started with light walks with him every day. It started as once a day walks and developed to 3 times per day as I felt better. I lost all of the weight except for 15 pounds. (I was 105 to start). But...I was young and able to bounce back easily.

I had my second six years later. Luckily, my cravings were a lot healthier, and I was also staying a lot more active. However, I was put on bedrest at 26 weeks. I ended up gaining 30lbs with that pregnancy. After, I was very active and walked again. I dropped all 30 of those pounds easily after.

I finally dropped back down to my 110 four years ago after I started running again. If I drink too much beer, don't run or eat too much junk, it starts creeping back up....So, you do have to watch your activity levels and calories. But, it's possible. :)