Scared to Get Pregnant...

Options

Replies

• RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Oh...and, as the others said. It's completely worth it!! :)
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    In the end, what's more important to you -- having a child, or having to work harder to lose the weight you might gain?

I gained the 25 lbs my doctor told me to (not intentionally; it just worked out that way). I didn't weigh myself coming out of the hospital, but 2-3 months later (2-3 months of total inactivity and crap eating), I still had 10 of those pounds. Once I started exercising again, and eating more consciously, the pounds came off. You're already doing that, yes? So do it throughout your pregnancy, and your weight gains should remain healthy. It's a risk, but the alternative is never getting pregnant, and possibly never having the opportunity to be a parent.
  • naomipelley
    naomipelley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I gained 60 with my first and nearly 70 with my second and I was So, So, SOOOOOOO sick the ENTIRE time. The only thing I could do to avoid feeling awful was to eat every few hours. I tried to eat healthy, but everything I ate, came right back up. The healthy food did not stick...I threw up apples, salads, etc. within 20 minutes. As a fitness professional I exercise and eat well...but being pregnant threw the entire plan out the window. No matter what I did, I gained a LOT of weight....even if I threw up everything I ate. You just never know until you experience it yourself. The good news is that the weight came off which helps me work towards getting the weight off with my 2nd (she is only 10 weeks old). Please don't assume that women who gain A TON of weight just ate whatever they wanted...that usually is not the case.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    if you are more concerned about your weight and appearance than your desire to have a child...maybe, just maybe, you should hold off on having one.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I only gained 28 lb buring my pregnancy and most of that was my baby weight. I put on more afterwards. It is all down to what you eat and how much you move. I also heard of people putting on double that put I just wanted to eat healthily during my pregnancy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would love to experience the miraculous wonders of pregnancy and childbirth..however I have been running from the possibility everytime I think of how much weight I would gain. I've heard some people have gained 90 pounds! Seriously??!!?? I've also heard it's ridiculously hard to get off. The basic motto is either you've got "the snap back genes" or you don't. :( Is this true?

Don't overeat and stay active (assuming your doc says it's OK).

Now, I was very young when I had my daughter, but it went like this: I weighed about 110 when I got pregnant and gained about 10 pounds in the first month (though my weight tended to fluctuate that much, anyway) then had terrible morning sickness and was 102 pounds from month 2 until month 7. I gave birth at 155 pounds and within a few months (and not even trying to lose) I was back to 115.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Negatory...I've had two kids, I gained well over 50 pounds with each pregnancy - ate anything I wanted and did not exercise. With the most recent pregnancy, I went from over 160 pounds (pregnant) to 106 pounds in less than 3 months. It's all about motivation.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 with my son. He was carried to term and born 8 lbs 4 oz. I lost the 50 lbs and then some with nursing, jogging, and healthy eating. It's not horribly hard to do. Just keep active and don't go overboard.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    .however I have been running from the possibility everytime I think of how much weight I would gain

My mom lost weight when she was pregnant with me. She was never really over weight, she was just in college and had put on her "Freshman Fifteen" or so...but when she got pregnant, she stopped partying, started eating right, and actually lost a little weight.

One of my best friend's wife is pregnant and if you look at her from behind, you can't tell, and would compliment her on such a nice hiney. You CAN workout and stay active when you are pregnant, you CAN eat healthy! You have to be mentally strong and not just decide it's ok to get a free pass to go molest buffets JUST because you are pregnant.

Not everyone will have the same experience, but do NOT let weight be the factor to deter you.
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I would love to experience the miraculous wonders of pregnancy and childbirth..however I have been running from the possibility everytime I think of how much weight I would gain. I've heard some people have gained 90 pounds! Seriously??!!?? I've also heard it's ridiculously hard to get off. The basic motto is either you've got "the snap back genes" or you don't. :( Is this true?

A lot of the weight that you gain is within your control. Don't stop exercising. Don't use the theory "I'm pregnant so I can eat whatever I want"! I did that with my pregnancies and I gained tons of weight. I also didn't stay as active as I should have even though I was active duty Army during both!. Yes some people will go back to their pre-prego sizes quickly while it takes longer for others. But as a mom, I would go through it all again for the joys of having kids! How quickly the weight comes off is dependent upon how active you are!!!

Don't be afraid to get pregnant. You can still exercise while pregnant. I know people who still ran bunches and lifted weights while pregnant.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Believe me- every pound you gain to have your children is worth it! I have 4!!!
  • adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can lose the weight if you are determined too. I just had my 4th child and I am 15lbs away from where I was before pregnancy 2 months post partum. With my first two I gained over 70lbs each and lost it all. If you are willing to put in the time and energy to work out and eat healthy the weight comes off. Also Debbe2 said it so right. Every lb is so worth it. With my son I just had I had finally lost all the baby weight from #3 and was wanting to build muscle and had a bunch of halfs planned and then found out #4 was coming sooner than later and everytime I look at his tiny adorable face I would do it all over again no matter what.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I gained 85 lbs during my pregnancy. I got bigger than a closet. BUT..I would do it again in a heartbeat. You can always lose the weight ( I finally lost all of it 15 months after having the baby). Pregnancy is a beautiful thing, dont be scared !!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of hot moms on here who lost a lot of weight and look fantastic!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It was a lot easier with my 1st baby to drop the weight then with the 2nd and more so with the 3rd. I stayed quite active with all 3 pregnancies and also after having the babies. I also breastfed all 3 and ate fairly healthy during and after pregnanies. I was able to drop back to pre pregnancy clothes and weight with all 3-bottom line is-stay active, eat sensible and healthy and you should be ok
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would love to experience the miraculous wonders of pregnancy and childbirth..however I have been running from the possibility everytime I think of how much weight I would gain.

I was terrified, too. I think it is totally normal. I gained more than I wanted to, about 50, and now my daughter is 2 and I weigh less than I did when I got pregnant (and in much better shape). But I also FIRMLY believe if I didn't lose the weight, my daughter is worth that and 100 lbs more. You won't regret it! She is the biggest joy of our lives.
  • jroselive2012
    Options

I have a history of eating disorder and just a lot of focus on my body, so when I became pregnant I worried about what it was going to do to my body. I DID gain 50 pounds, and yes it took a long time to come off. Almost a year. I fit into some of my pre pregnancy clothes, and others I can't. However, when you have a child, your life doesn't revolve around the extra stomach as much as the love you have for your child. The amount thought and care you had for every lb that showed up on the scale fizzles away. Yes, once it's safe to do so, you start working out. You start toning up. You start to feel more like the "old" you. But your life changes from being one dimentional to two.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    There's much scarier things imo when getting pregnant. I'm terrified of birth defects, miscarriages, possible future diseases that child may have.

In other words, I'd worry for my child. Not my physical appearance. Especially as, as many people pointed out, you can control the weight gain by working out and eating right.
  • lizconnor0823
    Options
    It wasn't the weight gained during pregnancy that got me...

It was the weight gained the four months after giving birth!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The main reason people put on weight during pregnancy is because "I'm eating for two now" so they over indulge. It's not pregnancy that makes them fat, it's eating for two adults when your child is barely the size of a thumbnail.