MEDICINE HAS CALORIES?!

Options
I have a cold/flu type thing. Just for ****s and giggles I scanned the barcode on the medicine. Came up with the exact product I was taking and it came out to 210 calories FOR THE 4 HOUR DOSE. I have been taking it every 4 hours! There is no nutritional value in the nutrient breakdown, but yet it contains 210 calories. I'm doing a low carb diet and I'm concerned with not only over consuming calories (because 3 doses could mean a meal from MCDONALDS) but wondering where those calories are coming from. Sugar?

Would like an explanation if anyone can come up with one..

Replies

• rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Any cough syrup type medicine may be nearly as strong as whiskey. Why do you think NyQuil woks so well?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I doubt it.
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    So it does have 210 calories per dose then..

So basically I've been doing this low carb diet for absolutely no reason. How am I supposed to know how much sugar and the nutritional stats of it if none are listed?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So it does have 210 calories per dose then..

So basically I've been doing this low carb diet for absolutely no reason. How am I supposed to know how much sugar and the nutritional stats of it if none are listed?

1) I sure could be wrong but I really doubt that calorie info is correct.

2) If you're sick, I'd prioritize getting relief even in if that means extra sugar or calories.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

2) If you're sick, I'd prioritize getting relief even in if that means extra sugar or calories.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Multi-vitamins; supplements and medications that have a calorie count the high end are cough syrups. Hint the word syrup.
  • marvelscale
    Options
    To be quite honest I don't even log when I'm sick. For the past two weeks I've been eating cough drops and lollipops without care |D
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    I'm just pissed off because I'm been trying to get my body into ketosis and I've been essentially no carbs for NO reason then, if this mucinex has 210 cals worth of sugar. I honestly couldn't care less if I have the flu, I've been stuck at this weight for 4 months and am tired of it, I want to lose this weight so badly. If that means suffering until its over and sticking with ketosis then that's what I'm going to have to do. There should be a label for this and the public should be made aware about this type of thing.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If you care, you're not that sick. Go back to work. :tongue:
  • thiscoma
    Options
    If you go to mucinex.com > max strength (fast max) > drug facts > pdf linked at the top, it gives the ingredients which lists dextrose (sugar) as the 2nd (non medicinal) ingredient. Dextrose is about 15 calories per 5 mL, so if you were taking a 20mL dose and assuming maybe 5 calories per 5 mL for the other pretty calorie-negligible ingredients (color, sucralose, etc), you're only looking at about 80 calories per dose.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was sick a few weeks back and used an entire bottle of one cold/allergy med over 2 nights and almost an entire bottle of cough syrup the next 2 nights anyway I didn't even think about logging any of it. I did not exercise for a week and rested on the couch when I was not sleeping or at work. I ate my calories I was allotted and I still lost weight. plus I have kept it off since. I am no doctor but I think when we are sick our body is working overtime to get us well so I wouldn't really worry too much. you need nutrition so I wouldn't eliminate food to find room for your medicine.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I agree, there should be a label.

But I wouldn't conclude that your efforts are wasted just because you're not in ketosis. Ketosis is not a requirement for fat loss.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Secondly, you don't need to go into ketosis to lose weight. You mustn't have been doing something right.

Sufficient protein (Lets say 1g protein per lb of lean body mass), sufficient 'healthy' fats, caloric deficit, fill the rest of your calories in with carbs + exercise, preferably HIIT/weights = Success.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm just pissed off because I'm been trying to get my body into ketosis and I've been essentially no carbs for NO reason then, if this mucinex has 210 cals worth of sugar. I honestly couldn't care less if I have the flu, I've been stuck at this weight for 4 months and am tired of it, I want to lose this weight so badly. If that means suffering until its over and sticking with ketosis then that's what I'm going to have to do. There should be a label for this and the public should be made aware about this type of thing.

Yes, you're right. Those darn medicine companies that are trying make people feel better are douches for undermining weight loss. :huh:
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    I feel absolutely terrible right now, and if I weren't trying so hard to get into ketosis I probably wouldn't care. I just am longing for cereal or cookies or chocolate or orange juice/apple juice, and I can't have any because I can't consume any sugars/carbs. So to know how much effort (I am a HUGE chocolate/cake/cookie addict, like binging on the stuff) I have put into eating a clean ketosis diet and then seeing I am consuming something that will completely negate all I've worked for and had willpower for, I feel defeated.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    feeling awesome and drugged up, thanks to 210 calories of sugar and medicine > feeling awful and like death
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When you are sick, your body needs to be fed energy so that it can fight of the virus. Do NOT cut your calories when you are sick! And hydrate like crazy.
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    The problem is I increased calories from 1200 to 1500 and gained 6 pounds. Dropped again to 1200 calories and lost and then stayed the same. I went and dipped down into 500-900 calorie days a few times a week to see, and I would lose weight, but decided to do it the healthy way and again am gaining on a calorie surplus. I have done a high protein diet before and lost 25 pounds, so FOR ME, that is what works. Being stuck at the same weight for 4 months is a really really depressing situation to be in, despite the different things you've been trying.
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    I agree, if you are this pissy about medicine, stop taking it and feel miserable...but if it were myself, who cares! You need to get to feeling better, so you can continue on your way...