MEDICINE HAS CALORIES?!

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'm just pissed off because I'm been trying to get my body into ketosis and I've been essentially no carbs for NO reason then, if this mucinex has 210 cals worth of sugar. I honestly couldn't care less if I have the flu, I've been stuck at this weight for 4 months and am tired of it, I want to lose this weight so badly. If that means suffering until its over and sticking with ketosis then that's what I'm going to have to do. There should be a label for this and the public should be made aware about this type of thing.

that definitely sounds like the healthy way to do this!

yeesh.
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when all you want in your life is so close but yet so far. I can see why girls turn to eating disorders, this whole thing just makes me want to follow that damn Christian Bale diet of tuna an apple, and a multivitamin a day. I'm so tired of being fat and not looking lean and beautiful.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know that must be really frustrating... it definitely sounds like you've been really working very hard to eat your very low carb diet, and I'm sure it felt like a punch straight to the gut when you read that caloric info! It sounds like those calorie numbers were probably a little higher than reality, but yes it does sound like it was probably enough sugar to keep you out of ketosis.

So, right now you can feel angry, defeated, etc, and I won't blame you for that... but I'd say to only allow yourself that pity party for a short little bit. Then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and congratulate yourself for having such strong willpower even while sick! You've avoided all those sweets that you so dearly love! And sure, this cough syrup thing is a setback, but hey... just chalk it up to a "lesson learned," and figure out where to go from here.

From what I can see, you have a bunch of options. You could, for example:
    - decide that you're sick and you can put the concept of ketosis on hold while you take this cough syrup
    - decide you're going to tough it out without the cough syrup and go back to all the good healthy choices you were making to get back to ketosis
    - try to find sugar-free medicine alternatives to take. there are some out there :-)

In any case, try not to let this derail you. Yes, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world, and you have a bunch of different (good) directions you can go from here on out!

Good luck and keep up the good work! :-)
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If the handful of calories in a medicine (you know, a thing you take to feel better) puts you in such a funk, don't take it.

As far as I'm considered, overcoming an illness is more important than the number on a scale, but that's just a crazy idea of mine! :huh:
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I recommend changing from a syrup cold medicens to a tablet, they have next to no calories for the same drugs. Look at the one you are taking for active ingredients then find a pill with the same ones, or ask the pharmacist which one is the same.
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    I know that must be really frustrating... it definitely sounds like you've been really working very hard to eat your very low carb diet, and I'm sure it felt like a punch straight to the gut when you read that caloric info! It sounds like those calorie numbers were probably a little higher than reality, but yes it does sound like it was probably enough sugar to keep you out of ketosis.

So, right now you can feel angry, defeated, etc, and I won't blame you for that... but I'd say to only allow yourself that pity party for a short little bit. Then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and congratulate yourself for having such strong willpower even while sick! You've avoided all those sweets that you so dearly love! And sure, this cough syrup thing is a setback, but hey... just chalk it up to a "lesson learned," and figure out where to go from here.

- decide that you're sick and you can put the concept of ketosis on hold while you take this cough syrup
    - decide you're going to tough it out without the cough syrup and go back to all the good healthy choices you were making to get back to ketosis
    - try to find sugar-free medicine alternatives to take. there are some out there :-)

In any case, try not to let this derail you. Yes, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world, and you have a bunch of different (good) directions you can go from here on out!

I come off extremely pissy and arrogant throughout this thread, and I apologize for that. You couldn't have described what is going through my head better, and I truly appreciate this post. It wasn't sarcastic or demeaning in any way, shape, or form. Thank you for that.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when all you want in your life is so close but yet so far. I can see why girls turn to eating disorders, this whole thing just makes me want to follow that damn Christian Bale diet of tuna an apple, and a multivitamin a day. I'm so tired of being fat and not looking lean and beautiful.

what??
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    For many people, eating a very low carb diet feels a lot like being sick (fatigue, confusion, irritability, etc.) That may or may not be the case for you, but it's something to consider. Low-carbing isn't actually necessary (or IMO even helpful) for weight loss, but happiness, satiation, and energy level have a huge effect on dietary compliance. Also, being at a calorie deficit in general lowers the immune response somewhat. You should eat at maintenance until you're done being sick.

But yeah, I agree that cough syrup should have a nutrition label!
  • laceyfowler
    Options
    I am a little concerned about the part where you said "all you want in your life is so close but yet so far..." etc. I really hope that losing weight isn't all that you want in your life, and that you're saying that because you're sick and frustrated and in a funk...

I hope there are other things in your life that make you happy, and other things that you are striving for, aside from losing weight. It is great to want to be fit and healthy, but please try to not base your entire self-worth on your weight - there's so much more to you than that :-) Good luck on your journey!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    it should be noted, too, that in no sense of the word are you fat.
  • laceyfowler
    Options

I come off extremely pissy and arrogant throughout this thread, and I apologize for that. You couldn't have described what is going through my head better, and I truly appreciate this post. It wasn't sarcastic or demeaning in any way, shape, or form. Thank you for that.

Your welcome - I understand the feelings you're expressing... been there before! Not the exact situation, but the feelings related to weight loss in general. They'll pass though, just keep heading the way you want to go! Or to quote David Thoreau (I think?) "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you've imagined!" And remember to enjoy yourself on the journey, not waiting to be happy until you reach your goals :-)
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you care so much about ketosis that you're whining about your medicine having calories, you need help we can't give you.
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses, I can't thank you all enough for responding.

I struggled with an ED when I was 16 and lost weight that way, I've always struggled with weight for the majority of my life.
    Besides a career and personal goals, losing weight and looking good enough to wear a bikini to a beach and be proud, and not being afraid of being in a picture because I'll "look fat", are some of the absolute most important things to me. I'm very very OCD about cleanliness, organization, my appearance, and my weight.

I don't ever see myself being on the cover of a magazine or being famous, but for my own personal self, being within the "healthy" range of the BMI scale and not having my thighs rub together (even if slightly) or having a little bit of a pooch in my stomach are some of the most important things to me. I'm obsessed with it, as sad and vain as that sounds. If I could pick billions of dollars over having a toned, tight, lean body, I would pick the perfect body. If someone told me I would have to give up having children to have this body or achieve it, I wouldn't have children.

The car I've spent 2 years restoring from the ground up? As hard as it would be, I would sacrifice that, and that is the most prized thing to me, to have a perfect body. If I could just lose these last 20 pounds I would finally accept myself and be able to move forward in my life.

I realize reading that how terribly vain and strange it sounds, and as much as I wish I could help it, I can't.
    If I was stuck this way forever a part of me would forever be feeling like I am missing out on something and I am lacking something in my life.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    hi. your beautiful. stop searching for keiosis or whatever. be happy :)
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    hi. your beautiful. stop searching for keiosis or whatever. be happy :)

You're too too kind. I wish it were that easy :/
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't be worrying about getting your body into ketosis or losing weight when you have the flu. Getting healthy is way more important than breaking a weight loss plateau.

Based on what you wrote below about your struggle with ED and how losing 20 lbs would make you finally accept yourself and move forward, I strongly suggest seeing a doctor or therapist about your ED issues.

You are only 20 years old, there is so much more to you and to make you happy in life than not having your thighs rub slightly together at this moment in time.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Try the tablets instead of the cough syrup ... zero calories. Get well soon!

http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Cold-Medicine/Mucinex-DM-Expectorant-Cough-Suppressant-Tablets-40-Count/74075
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest seeing a doctor or therapist about your ED issues.

You are only 20 years old, there is so much more to you and to make you happy in life than not having your thighs rub slightly together at this moment in time.

Agreed.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Talk to your pharmacist and ask if there is sugar in certain things because you saw somewhere that it does.
    He'll say yes or no.

if he says yes,
    "do you know which stuff has the lowest amount of sugar"

*Do not lie and say you have diabetes or any of that stuff. He'll know you're lying and not take you seriously.

There are a few people you should know in your community
    your pharmacist
    Your butcher
    Your seafood manager
    People who work in produce. At least nod and say hello/have a good afternoon, anything to acknowledge their existence.
    It will make a huge difference when you need something from them or advice.
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    you say you will be happy with your 20 # weight loss...but will you? really?? I doubt it very much. I sincerely hope you can find the help you so clearly need, especially with an ED history