MEDICINE HAS CALORIES?!

Options

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It's got sugar and usually 10% alcohol by volume. So yet, it's got calories :-)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you upped your calories by 300 and think this caused you to gain six pounds you are possibly incorrect.

To gain 6 lbs you need 3500 per pound or 21000 cals. Based on a 300 cal increase this is 70 days of gain if you had been on "upper edge" maintenance before. If you gained 6 lbs in less time then it was water retention or undigested food and not the calorie increase,

Rethink your long-term goals and how you want to get there, "living in ketosis" is not a good idea.
  • lajuice7
    lajuice7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Even a berocca boost tablet is 5 calories! lol
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You know, there is a certain amount of doubt over how effective cough medicines are anyway. They certainly won't cure the flu. It does kind of sound like you have bigger issues than not being in ketosis though.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    From your picture it doesn't look like you need to lose weight at all... I'm with the people that say go talk to your doctor. It sounds like your self esteem is a bigger issue than your weight.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=2891899

According to this, the calories are nowhere near the 210 that's in the database. Perhaps this is a reminder not to trust the info in the databse - if it looks wrong, then double check it elsewhere.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    That's per teaspoon. A 2.3 oz dose is 14 teaspoons or... 210 cals.
  • FitWendi
    FitWendi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The calculation is wrong. Medications with syrup in them are usually about 15 cal per tsp. The 210 must be for the whole bottle. If you are worried about it, try the tablets. Mucinex for cough and antihistamine for the other symptoms.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ah, at least that explains where the 210 comes from, thanks!

14 teaspoons is a dose????? Wow! If you imagine each of those is basically a spoon of sugar......
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Be grateful you have been on a low carb diet! Imagine how many carbs you would have eaten if you had not! Accentuate the positive!
  • phonypony
    Options
    Why the heck do you want to get into ketosis! !! ? ??
  • keni88
    keni88 Posts: 22
    Options
    so first off as has been mentioned, from your photo you're very pretty and im sure people that know everyone around you thinks the same!

Depending on what your illness is? e.g. cold flu chest infection, your core temp is much higher and your body uses much more calories than normal anyway fighting the illness! your resting calorie count will be between 15-35% higher than if you wernt ill (sorry i cant remember where i read that :s)

Also in regards to shifting the final few lbs, you havent detailed the exercise you do? have you though increasing or changing what you do?

:)
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that medicine has calories. I've had the flu for 2 weeks and have been living off cold meds. Hopefully, the alkaseltzer cold & flu tabs don't have as much sugar in them!!

I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The problem is I increased calories from 1200 to 1500 and gained 6 pounds. Dropped again to 1200 calories and lost and then stayed the same. I went and dipped down into 500-900 calorie days a few times a week to see, and I would lose weight, but decided to do it the healthy way and again am gaining on a calorie surplus. I have done a high protein diet before and lost 25 pounds, so FOR ME, that is what works. Being stuck at the same weight for 4 months is a really really depressing situation to be in, despite the different things you've been trying.

You should NOT be trying to place yourself into ketosis when you are ill. The stress will prolong your illness and will probably trigger starvation mode more than anything else. A doctor reading this would be appalled.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    focus on getting well first. then worry about 80 calories of sugar.

health first.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm just pissed off because I'm been trying to get my body into ketosis and I've been essentially no carbs for NO reason then, if this mucinex has 210 cals worth of sugar. I honestly couldn't care less if I have the flu, I've been stuck at this weight for 4 months and am tired of it, I want to lose this weight so badly. If that means suffering until its over and sticking with ketosis then that's what I'm going to have to do. There should be a label for this and the public should be made aware about this type of thing.
    That is why ketosis based diets sucks. BRB prolonging my sickness cause I don't want to take medicine that has carbs in it.

Yes, i did that stupid **** in the past.
  • JessicaJoy83
    Options
    my father is diabetic and he has to buy his meds made specifically without the sugars in it. you could ask a pharmacist what they recomend. I was shocked to find out my birth control contained sugar! :noway:
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Guys can we not turn this into a "why low carb is bad for you" debate? She's giving low-carbing a shot to get outta a plateau - it'll work or it won't - end of story. This is coming from somebody who eats 250-300 carbs a day but had phenomenal results doing a high-fat, low-carb diet.

She wanted to know how much sugar/alcohol is in her Mucinex. I went to the website and couldn't find anything. 210 calories would be 52g of sugar (since I doubt there is any fat/protein in Mucinex). That is about as much as a can of coke - I find that to be very debatable.

Lastly, you can low carb and not be sick if you eat healthy food.

So how about that debate last night?!
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If the only thing you wanted to know about was the calories in cough syrup then I think you found it.

On a side note it does not look like you have that much to lose. I know sometimes people weigh more than they look...blah blah blah. But you look great I think you need to focus more on exercise than on diet for what you are looking for. You want to get rid of body fat and build muscle. Good luck to you. I hope you have some good friends to talk to because you seem to have some body self esteem issues, you need to think about being healthy and feeling great. Get rid of the scale for awhile. Good luck.
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Guys can we not turn this into a "why low carb is bad for you" debate? She's giving low-carbing a shot to get outta a plateau - it'll work or it won't - end of story. This is coming from somebody who eats 250-300 carbs a day but had phenomenal results doing a high-fat, low-carb diet.

She wanted to know how much sugar/alcohol is in her Mucinex. I went to the website and couldn't find anything. 210 calories would be 52g of sugar (since I doubt there is any fat/protein in Mucinex). That is about as much as a can of coke - I find that to be very debatable.

Lastly, you can low carb and not be sick if you eat healthy food.

So how about that debate last night?!

Thank you.

I do have self esteem issues, I won't deny that. I weighed myself and lost 2 pounds doing this diet so far. Who knows if it would have been more had I not consumed the syrup, but we will see. I don't want to be keto forever, it's not a forever thing.. I would like to simply kickstart back into losing weight and basically being a leaner and smaller version of myself.. The female version of Fields4life without the bulky manness :)

Your body is the only thing you get in this world. It's the only thing you are given and will always have with you. That's like someone giving you a brand new mercedes benz and you graffiting it, putting the cheapest grade fuel in it, not changing the oil, and essentially being a very irresponsible vehicle owner.

Your body is your one vehicle. You get ONE shot at life. So why is striving to have your body be the best and healthiest and sleekist it can possibly be such a bad thing? If you had a choice of driving around a rust bucket piece of **** that wasn't reliable and looked horrible, verses a brand new luxary vehicle that was beautiful and always reliable, which would you choose?

That's why this is so important to me. I don't have any other way to describe it. And this analogy is coming from a girl who rebuilt an old BMW, so I know cars and this is the best I could relate it to.