iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3

Options

Replies

• dougieswallow
    Options
    samsungs has better specifications, external memory, bigger screen, awesome camera, great apps, plus whatever you need to get as an extra - car holder, stylus - you can get it all cheap at any shop with mobile gadgets while apple is apple - always "exclusive" and expensive :-) Samsung GS3 is absolutely AWESOME I've got one myself x

also, i phone 5 is dual core and gs3 is quad core which basically means that in simple tasks using just one or two apps both phones are ok (family member has IP5) but if you're properly multitasking - samsung is way faster :)

Early iPhone 5 benchmark tests beat Galaxy S III, Nexus 7 and latest iPad
    http://news.yahoo.com/early-iphone-5-benchmark-tests-beat-galaxy-iii-151029162.html

And that's on a dual core! Quad cores don't always mean they are better!
  • nedde
    nedde Posts: 27
    Options
    Can someone tell me which one has the best camera?

both cams are 8 megapixels but i found this online
    The Galaxy S3 has a rear facing camera rated at 8Mp with the ability to record video in full HD 1080p quality which Apple matches with the iPhone 5's rear iSight camera, although each has different software features.

Both front cameras on the smartphones can record HD video at 30fps but the Galaxy S3's has a slightly higher rating at 1.9Mp compared to 1.2Mp.
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I've wanted an iPhone forever! But then I met someone who had the S3 and played with it and I'm pretty convinced I'll be using my upgrade soon for that. Although the iPhone is actually cheaper with an upgrade through Verizon right now (assuming you get an older model). The 5 is the same price, I'm pretty sure. But I'm really opposed to brand new technology (like the 5) just because there's certain to be kinks in it. Go for the S3!
  • nedde
    nedde Posts: 27
    Options
    samsungs has better specifications, external memory, bigger screen, awesome camera, great apps, plus whatever you need to get as an extra - car holder, stylus - you can get it all cheap at any shop with mobile gadgets while apple is apple - always "exclusive" and expensive :-) Samsung GS3 is absolutely AWESOME I've got one myself x

also, i phone 5 is dual core and gs3 is quad core which basically means that in simple tasks using just one or two apps both phones are ok (family member has IP5) but if you're properly multitasking - samsung is way faster :)

Early iPhone 5 benchmark tests beat Galaxy S III, Nexus 7 and latest iPad
    http://news.yahoo.com/early-iphone-5-benchmark-tests-beat-galaxy-iii-151029162.html

And that's on a dual core! Quad cores don't always mean they are better!

well i read different opinions
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136291-iphone-5-benchmarks-slower-than-the-galaxy-s3-faster-than-the-nexus-7

either way IPhone fans will stick with it no matter what even thought the Samsung specs ARE better ;-)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Iphone all the way! I had 4 droids all different types. they messed up all the time, battery was hot always, sometimes it would delete all of my pictures, contacts, etc, It would restart in the middle of a conversation or LONG text, terrible reception. Bought all 4 BRAND NEW! not REFERBISHED from a respectible retailer (NOT WALMART or crappy places like that) It was dificult to use. HATED IT!

Iphone was so simple and easy, had the same one for a year now, fiance has his for 3 years now. I never even think about upgrading to the 5, I can keep it forever. Not one time has it frozen or slowed down, battery is fine, GREAT battery life. *cuddles her phone*
    ^^^^like
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    S3 all the way. I recently upgraded from a "dumb" phone and I'll never look back!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am the anti-apple. Love my G2, wish I could upgrade now to G3.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I Love my S3...

my sister loves her S3...

and my brothers IP5 keeps dropping calls and freezing (HA HA HA thats what he gets waiting in those stupid lines for a phone on the first day and its crappy HA HA HA!!!!)
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Can't decide which one to get - anyone care to help me? :happy:

I have the Galaxy S3 and love it. The pics are great, the screen is clear, movies play better than on the Droid Razor I had. I also found the kindle app is brighter. Over all this is my fav. phone and I have had a bunch.
  • vikramvazirani
    Options
    Or just get mobile phone insurance, which for me comes as part of my bank account package.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which is nigh on identical to the s3.... But it's google branded and is better if you want to be the first to get upgrades to the android os.

I had the Nexus for less than a week when I decided to get the Galaxy s3. The Nexus is not even on the same playing field power-wise, and is already 1-year old tech (old when you consider the typical lifecycle of a cellphone here is 2-3 years). Sure it will get the latest updates from Google, and doesn't have carrier or manufacturer bloatware preinstalled, but there are ways around that if it really bugs you.

Anyway, on topic, having had some sort of iPhone for the last 4 years I made the move to the galaxy s3. I don't think you could go wrong either way anymore, just figure out what your needs are (big screen? portability? battery life?) Battery life isn't the greatest on the s3, but that's to be expected with a big screen and fast processor. If you're a heavy user you may need to splurge on an extended battery pack. No idea how the iPhone 5 compares, everyone I know has given up the iPhone lol.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am the anti-apple. Love my G2, wish I could upgrade now to G3.

me too dear. :flowerforyou:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4qqapWrrsk&feature=related

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e01-humancentipad
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Had the Galaxy S3 since July, love it!

now i'm one of those people who walk around looking at their device all the time...
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I had the Nexus for less than a week when I decided to get the Galaxy s3. The Nexus is not even on the same playing field power-wise, and is already 1-year old tech

I've had the Galaxy Nexus a while, and agree with most of what you say. I still don't think there's a lot between them, and the Nexus can be had a lot cheaper. It's also worth noting that the release of the next Nexus handset(s) is imminent.

I quite like using The Verge for comparisons;
    http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/2946/4777/5588/6212/6116
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me which one has the best camera?

both cams are 8 megapixels but i found this online
    The Galaxy S3 has a rear facing camera rated at 8Mp with the ability to record video in full HD 1080p quality which Apple matches with the iPhone 5's rear iSight camera, although each has different software features.

Both front cameras on the smartphones can record HD video at 30fps but the Galaxy S3's has a slightly higher rating at 1.9Mp compared to 1.2Mp.

It's worth mentioning that the S3 has a really clever pre record feature in video mode (where it starts recording video before you press the button) and a very smart burst mode, which helps you get great action shots or pics of fast moving things (like your kids!).
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    which to get? reviews tend to put them at more or less level pegging in most aspects so what it may come down to is the other IT you have. Big Google fan? Samsung. Got lots of other Apple tech? iPhone.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Interesting...Bump...
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    which to get? reviews tend to put them at more or less level pegging in most aspects so what it may come down to is the other IT you have. Big Google fan? Samsung. Got lots of other Apple tech? iPhone.

huge google fan. you are def talking me further down the sam road. :)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/phones-mobile-devices/cell-phones-services/smart-phone-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

if you have an account to see that, samsung rates higher on consumer reports too.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Iphone all the way! I had 4 droids all different types. they messed up all the time, battery was hot always, sometimes it would delete all of my pictures, contacts, etc, It would restart in the middle of a conversation or LONG text, terrible reception. Bought all 4 BRAND NEW! not REFERBISHED from a respectible retailer (NOT WALMART or crappy places like that) It was dificult to use. HATED IT!

Iphone was so simple and easy, had the same one for a year now, fiance has his for 3 years now. I never even think about upgrading to the 5, I can keep it forever. Not one time has it frozen or slowed down, battery is fine, GREAT battery life. *cuddles her phone*

This all day. My fiance used to be a big Android fan until his phone started doing what you said. Now he will be switching to the Iphone.. I LOVE my iphone... never had a problem with it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Do you really NEED to pay all those hard earned, expensive $$$ to pack a mini computer in your pocket. Think about it. First, do the MATH. A 70.00 per month "everything plan" is actually going to hit your bank account for about $130.00 every month. Next, consider how much you also may be paying for cable TV service and internet every month. If you have those two options, you are adding about $130-160.00/month to your budget. That doesn't include car payments, car insurance & operating costs, gas/oil/serving, rent, food, medication, transportation to/from work, entertainment, clothing expenses (cleaning, etc) due to your job. I dumped cable tV a couple of months ago, hit the auto-channel programming button on the remote & still get tons of channels because I kept the internet only service. Dumped the two year cell phone contract and now pay a FLAT $50.00/everything prepaid contract phone cost. I just buy a refill card every month. I never see that long list of extra taxes and fees that are tacked onto a contract phone. Got a Roku 2 little box & connected it to the tv ~~~~ Voila! I get tons of choices for all kinds of free videos, movies, internet radio, Pandora music, etc.

Be kinder to yourself, do you really need to have all the latest technology? You're addicted if you do and it's costing you a bundle. It makes you a slave to expensive technology toys.

Um... yeah... Sorry you are poor. :laugh:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    ah i should have been here earlier. I could have saved you all the reading - you will have 4 basic groups of people:

Android users - hate apple. they are what's wrong with the world. the iphone is so restriced you can barely make a phone call. oh, and did you know the iphone BREAKS, too? It is ijunk and idumb, and isheep are the only people who buy them. They feel liberated that they have an android phone which gives them so much freedom that their phone can produce rainbows on command and it looks better, too on the mammoth screen they have. plus, did you know that every single spec is better than iphone?

iPhone users - haters gonna hate, yo. they've never used an android, but they are positive that they suck. who would want that big of a screen? iphone just works! android ones you have to do stuff. and they don't like doing stuff. they like stuff done for them. if the iphone doesn't have it, then they don't need it. And there are videos on the youtube machine that clearly show that all the fancy Samsung specs don't make a faster phone. you should be different.... like everyone else

switchers - had and iphone went to android and loved it. had an android and went to iphone and loved it.

realists - it doesn't matter which one you get. they are both fine pieces of technology that will probably accommodate 99% of what you want to do with your phone. chances are you will love either one and not regret the decision. look at other technological devices you have and what you have used before. do you have a preference? if not, find 5 things that you want to do with a phone, and see if those things are accomplished better by either. (i fall into the last category)