Drop bread to lose weight

Options
I hve heard this from a number of respected sources but I don't understand it.

Basically, you drop bread from your diet to shed pounds of weight. I can understand the idea of reducing carbohydrates, including bread, and making sure you are having enough proteins but why bread?

And if it does make sense, what about pasta - does that go as well?

Is it more to do with the fat content of bread (so pasta would be ok).

Any ideas?

Replies

• super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Drop very bad carbs, basically bread and pasta. People in the west eat way too much of this heavily processed crap and refined sugar.

If you really need to eat it eat rye bread or wholemeal, but why eat it at all if trying to lose weight is beyond me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Both of you are misinformed, assuming to intolerances or medical conditions, you can eat bread and lose weight just fine.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I dropped the bread...the pasta..the cakes, cookies and chocolate.....

And all I did was make a mess on the floor....maybe I did it wrong!! :-)
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i drop it only at night when i don't need energy and thats working really well for me. dont need to drop it all day though unless its taking you over your calories. and i eat whole grain wheat too.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have eaten and continue to eat bread every day. I succeeded. Part of the secret to my success is immediately discarding ridiculous notions like "drop bread to lose weight".
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

:laugh: that was funny
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

THAT. was adorable! :smooched:
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I think that if you drop bread, then pick it back up, and do this behavior over and over, you can lose weight. Especially if you added more bread over the course of time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I was holding a 5 lb loaf of sourdough. when i dropped it the number on the scale did indeed, go down 5 lbs.

I humbly submit this as proof that dropping bread will help you lose weight.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, and other carbs (including white rice, and pizza).. the only difference between then and now is that i now eat it in moderation. I will have at most two slices of bread a day, and its usually rye or some other multigrain variety. I will spoil myself with pizza as long as it fits into my calorie budget and same with rice.
    I feel that if i deprive myself of too much it will end up back firing on me in the long run.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    ... you can eat bread and lose weight just fine.

I agree...but as a post-low carb dieter, getting rid of bread, pasta, and other processed carbs helped me lose weight much faster. I want to eat like a normal person though, so I have added some back into my diet in moderation (which is key in everything I think).
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Hah ha! Excellent!!
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    bread,rice,pasta,injera,potatoes are all 3rd world country survival foods. They are implemented into cultures

Russia- potatoes
    Asian countries- rice
    Spanish speaking countries- pasta
    Ephiopia- injera (sour layer)
    Western countries- bread (buns, kaisers etc..)

Those foods are a tradition to eat, and we let our kids eat it, and they get used to it
    The reason alot of people eat those, is because of VERY CHEAP price. and it is easy to meet caloric intake, and it is FILLING.

You do not have to drop bread to lose weight, in fact 1 bread slice have 100 calories, and it is more filling than 100 calories of tomatoes.

Usualy people who go on celery diet, quit it after 1 week, and then gain even more weight.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Drop very bad carbs, basically bread and pasta. People in the west eat way too much of this heavily processed crap and refined sugar.

If you really need to eat it eat rye bread or wholemeal, but why eat it at all if trying to lose weight is beyond me.

People in the west? Just saying but I've been to Asia multiple times and I've never seen wholemeal bread there, just white bread and it's even sweeter than the ones here. Oh and it's eaten as a snack.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I dropped pasta... into a pot of boiling water.

Love bread and pastas and eat them daily. I don't care if I might possibly be a little leaner if I didn't eat them. I'm perfectly happy with where I am.
  • annasensei
    Options
    It really depends who you ask.

My trainer is paleo/primal, so for her it's NO bread, pasta, ceral, rice, corn and super heavy on the meats and good fats. She tried to get me there, but it was (is) really difficult, and not very enjoyable.

We've compromised, and I have been able to work only ONE carb into one meal a day. Since June I've lost about 10 lbs, so I've been seeing some good results. I do notice that I'm not as hungry as often when I'm eating more meat and veggies rather than carbs.

Rather than denying yourself something completely (which can make the whole process very negative and make you not stick with it), simply cut back and see if that's what your body responds to.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

People in the west? Just saying but I've been to Asia multiple times and I've never seen wholemeal bread there, just white bread and it's even sweeter than the ones here. Oh and it's eaten as a snack.

THANK YOU!

The Japanese LOOOOOOVE some pastries! Jus' sayin'!
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i lived a low carb lifestyle for a long time. it just led me to carb bingeing. i'd go all week eating low carb (no bread, no pasta, no sugar, no potatoes, no fruit) and then come sunday, you'd need a straight jacket to keep me out of the kitchen. i couldn't stuff my face fast enough with carbs. i was a mess. my weight was all over the place too. i'd gain 6lbs overnight from a carb binge. now i eat anything and everything (but remain at a calorie deficit) and no more binges, no more cravings, no more crazy weight jumps.

if you are perfectly healthy and not under any medical supervision or in any sort of health condition that requires you to stay away from bread/carbs, i don't see a need to drop the bread. besides, if you drop it from your diet, you're going to one day re-introduce it and your body will probably just have to re-learn what to do with bread all over again. and with that comes water retention, bloating, gas...fun fun!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Really! :noway: I do think some of you are just not taking me seriously!! :bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Both of you are misinformed, assuming to intolerances or medical conditions, you can eat bread and lose weight just fine.

True statement ^^ As long as you don't eat so much of it that you lose your calories deficit, of course.

And I think that is the real reason many people drop (or limit) it. A big leafy salad with low cal dressing is usually a lot less calories than a big sandwich, so if you are a chubby sandwich lover it might be easier to lose by dropping the sandwiches.

Then again, you might miss them so much that it causes you to go back to your old way of eating and you'll just gain it all back.