Drop bread to lose weight

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating the exact amount of calories to maintain your weight and ate 2 slices of bread a day for 300 calories and you stopped eating those 2 slices of bread for 300 calories and didn't replace them with anything, you'd be eating 300 calories less than maintenance and lose weight.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Think it's more sticking to better sources of carbs, ones low on the gi index. Does make a difference to my losses! X
  • phatnotfat81
    Options
    I dropped the bread...the pasta..the cakes, cookies and chocolate.....

And all I did was make a mess on the floor....maybe I did it wrong!! :-)

HA!
  • SlimReggieBack
    SlimReggieBack Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    lol I was looking at this in a wrong angle I couldve sworn it said drop dead to lose weight but anyway certain bread is good for you use whole grain they are very healthy I've been eating it and so far I lost 37 pounds doing it also it helps me stay full for most of the day.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Both of you are misinformed, assuming to intolerances or medical conditions, you can eat bread and lose weight just fine.

^^^I agree! You don't need to eliminate anything from your diet other than the excess calories to lose weight. ****unless you have a medical condition.
  • MarsdenChick
    Options
    I've eaten bread almost all my 30 years, but I think I can manage not eating any in my next 30 years. I have reduced my carb intake almost 10 lbs in 22 days :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - obviously a hot topic!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Both of you are misinformed, assuming to intolerances or medical conditions, you can eat bread and lose weight just fine.
    ^^^this. I have dropped 92 lbs and eat 4 slices of bread a day. Every workday. It fits in my macros just fine.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Drop very bad carbs, basically bread and pasta. People in the west eat way too much of this heavily processed crap and refined sugar.

If you really need to eat it eat rye bread or wholemeal, but why eat it at all if trying to lose weight is beyond me.

People in the west? Just saying but I've been to Asia multiple times and I've never seen wholemeal bread there, just white bread and it's even sweeter than the ones here. Oh and it's eaten as a snack.

THANK YOU!

The Japanese LOOOOOOVE some pastries! Jus' sayin'!

Of course, haven't you seen their sumo wrestlers? :wink:

But seriously, all my relatives in Asia eat like rice twice a day and there are soooo many sweets there.
    Andddd they're like stick thin.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I come from a Hispanic background (Puerto Rican) and rice, breads, and pasta's, are a big part of our diet. We sure do love our carbs, and while I'm definitely no expert I don't think eating carbs in moderation is necessarily bad for you. I pretty much eat everything I want..even drink *gasp* diet soda on occasion and I'm not dead, my BP/cholesterol levels are normal, and I'm still managing to lose weight weekly. I still have a long *kitten* way to go but I've made pretty good progress thus far, and in my humble non expert opinion based on my own experiences I think eliminating anything you like long term from your daily diet, is just setting yourself up for future failure/binging.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I dropped bread once (my ex was all RAWR PALEO and I tried it just to see before I judged). All I lost was my speed while running.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I have triedto drop bread but found I was too hungry,good quality homemade healthy bread is great ok the shop cotton wool stuff not the best ! I dont think a slice or two is doing any harm!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i try not to eat too much bread or pastas. don't get me wrong, i still eat sandwhiches, but i try not to eat rolls, or serve bread with meal or things like that. i find that my body feels more sluggish and bloated when i fill it with grain products. maybe it's just me.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was holding a 5 lb loaf of sourdough. when i dropped it the number on the scale did indeed, go down 5 lbs.

I humbly submit this as proof that dropping bread will help you lose weight.

Where the hell are YOU shopping? A FIVE pound loaf of bread??? :laugh:
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I severely limited the bread in my diet because it is one of the foods that I don't control myself well around. I like it way too much to have it all the time.
  • annmariedap
    annmariedap Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I come from a Hispanic background (Puerto Rican) and rice, breads, and pasta's, are a big part of our diet. We sure do love our carbs, and while I'm definitely no expert I don't think eating carbs in moderation is necessarily bad for you. I pretty much eat everything I want..even drink *gasp* diet soda on occasion and I'm not dead, my BP/cholesterol levels are normal, and I'm still managing to lose weight weekly. I still have a long *kitten* way to go but I've made pretty good progress thus far, and in my humble non expert opinion based on my own experiences I think eliminating anything you like long term from your daily diet, is just setting yourself up for future failure/binging.

I'm too from a hispanic background and rice, breads and pasta are a must. 115 lbs is AWESOME congratulations!!! You are an inspiration to me. I have only been with MFP for a month. How long did it take youto drop the weight and what are your secrets?
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I'd not recommend dropping it but it's a good idea to not have them for every meal.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I dropped the bread...the pasta..the cakes, cookies and chocolate.....

And all I did was make a mess on the floor....maybe I did it wrong!! :-)

WINS THREAD. FUNNNY!!! BWHAHAHA!
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Why eat bread and pasta if you are trying to lose weight? Because they are yummy and unless you have an intolerance to gluten they can be part of a healthy diet.

I eat rice, pasta, bread (whole grain for decades, mind you) at almost every meal and in the past all my attempts at losing weight by eliminating them have been highly unsuccessful. I would stay on my diet for a for a couple/three weeks and then just have to give up due to feeling like I was starving all the time.

This time I decided I was going to to it on my own: counting calories, exercising a bit (totally sedentary before) and eating the wholesome foods I love.

It's been 6 weeks now and I have not been tempted to overeat even once. I am also not feeling deprivedIn fact, the problem I had was that I was losing 1/2 pound to a pound a day (yes, eating bread, pasta and rice) and at my age of 63 in a few weeks I do not want to lose weight too quickly. I don't want my face to look like the crypt keeper's all of a sudden.

Now, having said all that, some people feel better when they strictly curtail carbs, so it's just a matter of tweaking your diet and finding out what works for you.
  • TimTamF
    Options
    Dr William Davis believes that the glucoprotien in modern wheat Gliadin acts, basically, like an opiate thus encouraging us to eat more bread. He also points out that whole wheat is almost 20 points higher on the glycemic index that a snickers bar! Id say as with anything - there is wisdom in moderation.