The moment that made you SERIOUS about losing weight?

Options
Curious about that moment when you said "OH NO. This has to stop and it's going to start right now!" Maybe a picture of yourself, or an innocent child saying "You look like Santa Claus" Whatever. It makes a difference!

I've tried to drop weight before, but it is different this time because I had that moment in my life!

I was (trying) riding my bike on the greenway. I was going up this hill and it felt awful and I'm sure I looked ridiculous because I was kind of listing back and forth across the path, feeling painfully aware of how FAT I felt.

Suddenly this skinny chick rides past me in a blur and calls out in a cheery voice "You go girl! You can do it!"

I was instantly angry and ashamed. OH MY GAWD, I thought. I'M THE FAT CHICK YOU SAY "You go girl!" TO!!!!

Oh heck no! That is NOT me!

That was what kicked me into gear. Oh, she motivated me alright, just not the way she intended.

Replies

• martintanz
    Options
    It was a series of things that built up.

1. Not being able to fit into my largest suits.
    2. Going to the doctor for a checkup
    3. Going for a bike ride and watching my 11 year old kick my *kitten*
    4. Getting to the point where even my late father's XXL shirts were getting tight on me
    5. Listening to my brother, who had also gained weight, tell me how he lost 50 lbs using MFP for iphone.
    6. My wife paying for a 1 month gym membership, then bugging me to actually set up an appointment with them.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have a big "ah-ha" moment. When we adopted our third child, I hated most of the pictures with me in it (at the agency in Korea). If I died the next day, my kids would have at most a handful of pictures of me since I stayed away from the camera so much. I lost 6 lbs. on that trip because of all the walking and managed to keep it off during my 3 month maternity leave. Once i went back to work, I really started trying to lose weight.

So I guess it was really wanting to actually be IN some pictures, for my kids, instead of just taking them.
  • momsypoo
    momsypoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Saw myself naked in a 360 mirror!!! :O
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    All my weight is around my midsection, true, I have no fat arms, no big legs and no butt. Everything is around my belly. The question everyone kept asking me was "ARE YOU PREGNANT? or i can be outside and get chewed out for smoking a cigerette because ppl assumed I was pregnant. It finally broke me down and thats when I said this has to stop. Keep it in mind the only thing big on me is my midsection. My legs and arms look like a normal person. I am shaped oddly but yea when everyone assumes your pregnant when your just fat, it hurts.
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    I went to the doctors in May and I weighed in at 170. I've never weighed that much in my entire life. It literally made me want to cry. From that moment on, I knew I wanted to get back into shape and start losing weight.
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It was a Sunday night and I was chatting to a close friend on fb complaining about how fat and unattractive I was feeling . . . on a real low I was! She had mentioned mfp before to me but the thought of logging all my food put me off (in hindsight, I didn't want to admit to myself the amount of crap I was eating) . . After a really goood heart to heart with her i went to bed feeling a bit better about things. I seriously woke on the Monday morning and was full of motivation! It was like I'd had a brain transplant overnight!!! I've been on my new lifestyle journey for 10 weeks now and have lost 9.8kgs!!! Absolutely loving my life now . . . I owe her so much! She is on this journey too and we encourage each other all the way!
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    when i seen myself in a full size mirror on holiday then weighed myself when i got home and i had hit 13 stone was like a big slap that woke me up to what was happening
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I thought being 50-55 pounds overweight (on a 5' 2" lady with a super petite frame) wasn't a big deal. Then I met a chubby 5 year old who weighed 53lbs, and I realized I was carrying her on me 24/7. It blew my mind that a pudgy kid-sized blob of fat could possibly come out of my body.

...60+ pounds later... turns out I STILL have excess pudge to lose!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I tried on my bathing suit this past May and it didn't fit. The main problem was that I bought that suit the year before because the suit I had then didn't fit either. That was it for me.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have one this time. I've know I should lose weight for ages I just woke up one morning a few months ago knowing I could do it this time :D
  • sweetiepaia
    sweetiepaia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was 170 lbs, my knees hurt, my back hurt, i was getting all kinds of therapy,( chiro, physio) and living on advil and tylenol. I could not get dressed in the morning, my now ex, had to dress me :(

All the docs would say, do not excersise, you have a malformed disc in your lower back, you need back and knee surgery

HUMMM no! I didnt listen to any of them hit the gym real hard, changed my eating habtits and in 8 months went from 170 to 116 lbs!!

I looked awesome!!!
  • PlushHyena
    Options
    This is not my current motivation, but a few years ago (more like 4), I had this embarrassing moment when the school doctor smiled at me and said: "You need to lose a little weight, don't you?" I came home to mom feeling desperate and said that this time she HAD to help me. My mom is against strict diets and she is right, but that time she agreed to help me lose weight extremely fast, so she made me low calorie, healthy meals. (I mean the food was healthy, but I ate too little.) I exercised probably 5 days a week and lost 20 pounds in a very short time. I was never able to repeat that success, but I never tried that method again.

Well, that was a long time ago and most of the weight is back! There's no big event that motivated me this time, except for the slow, torturous feeling of inadequacy I feel around fitter (and shorter and smaller) girls.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    got tired of meeting chicks and they always wanted to rub my ****ing stomach.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • christmasjingle
    christmasjingle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just recently had vacation pictures developed and couldn't believe what I looked like.... :(
  • 168lbs
    168lbs Posts: 6
    Options
    When my trousers split at work, and it wasn't a small split either!! Very terrible situation to be in. I weighed my self the next day and I'd put on weight, made an appointment to have my blood pressure taken and that was high. So that was when I joined MFP.
  • mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The moment I saw a small bulge forming above my belly button. I'm not going to deal with a middle aged bulge!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I decided to change my lifestyle when I decided I was not happy with my life or the person who I had become.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The moment I gave birth to my first baby girl. Kids learn by example!
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I think the time I realized I needed to change was actually composed b little things that have been buildig up inside me: not fitting in bellow size 42-44 EU jeans; looking horrible in skin fitting shirts; the fatness of my legs when I tried to wear dresses. I just never felt truly and really good about myself about my appearence. So I decided that since I am still quite young, it is better to make a chane now then when I'm in my 30's so I did.
  • kellabella314
    Options
    I went to a concert with friends thinking I looked pretty cute.

And then someone tagged pictures on facebook.

I've never felt so unhappy with my appearance until that moment. Almost cried.