Replies

• 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Good for you,girl!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE AWESOME!! Fortunately, I've never had that problem at the gym. So far, everyone I've met at my gym, staff and members alike, have been wonderfully supportive. However, I have encountered some snobbish behavior from others when running in public and such. You're right, sometimes it is very difficult to maintain your composure and not go all Jerry Springer on 'em. Glad you were able to shut them down with a good, snappy comeback, though. And kudos to your trainer for backing you up. I especially love the line about slapping her. :laugh: :drinker: CLASSIC!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    good job!! now they know they got under your skin!!

No, now they know she is not a walkover!

Good job girl great comeback !

Yup, THIS!
    Now they know their giggles won't be met with silence and tolerated.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    On one hand: Good for you for standing up for yourself! Your trainer sounds like a great dude!
    On the other hand: You chose to combat pettiness and immaturity with a threat to slap her. Seriously? Slapping is for four year olds.

Just punch her in the head. You don't warn.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If I were to slap her in good "fun" would she take it seriously??

:laugh:
    That is awesome! You're my new hero!:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    The trainer should have thrown you out if you threatened to slap someone. Find some security in who you are about yourself before resorting to violence and then the laughing wouldn't bother you.

:noway: She wasn't threatening anyone, she was making a point that not everyone's idea of "harmless fun" is harmless.

Way to totally blow that out of proportion. :huh:

THIS.
    It wasn't a threat and security within yourself is INCREASED when you stand up for yourself, especially against a group of grown *kitten* adult bullies!
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    Virtual high five!!!!!!!!!!!!! You go, girl!
    I would never have been able to do what you did but I am SO proud of you for doing it!
    Awesome!
  • regina1006
    regina1006 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on standing up for yourself! :happy: And congratulations on the 5lb loss. Keep up the good work!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    "I asked her if I were to slap her in good "fun" would she take it seriously?? "

LOVE THIS!!!!!

Well done, both on your progress AND the way you handled the groupies.

Will you be my friend? :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congradulations on your weight loss and good job for standing up for yourself!! You let them know you were not going to be their doormat without stooping to their level, I love it!!
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    Well done!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    That is amazing. And, it's great that your trainer stood up for you. You are doing great at your progress... and, with an attitude like that, you will continue to do great. Keep it up. :wink: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I believe that depending upon the size of the gym, ownership (private vs franchised vs non-profit), I'd be writing a letter to management. I'd let them know that because of the existence of these bullies, many people may not be taking advantage of the personal training they need and want. I'm not sure if you pay extra for the training class, but when informing a company that they may be losing a larger revenue base due to a small group of obnoxious people preventing others (due to the stress of being bullied) from a paid class, companies tend to take notice.

This said, I go to Planet Fitness. None of that is allowed there. I love it. No gawking (at the skinny minis or the hips that fill the treadmill from side rail to side rail). No laughing at others. None of it's allowed. I swear, it's like a gym with the basic rules of preschool -- be nice to others. I did once see two young skinny minis talking to a couple good looking body builders. The girls were glancing over their shoulders at another girl, giggling, turning back and talking to the guys. Now - the looks and giggles may have been coincidental and purely unrelated to the girl or anyone else at the gym, but when the girls caught me giving them the most evilest of evil eyes, they both went quite and dropped their heads. This wouldn't work with those nasty women at your gym - they sound like they have strength in numbers and are more obnoxious than any teenagers -- but I'm glad it worked at my gym (where, if I reported them, they would have been put on notice).

I'm very, very, very proud of you. It's so discouraging to see Woman on Woman hate. We should encourage the best in each other, not try to rip the very fabric of self esteem from another who is trying to better themselves.

I am proud you stood up and I am proud of your 5 lbs loss! Keep up the great work!!!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Now watch your back; there may be some get-back on the horizon. They sound like the type.

It would be on like Donkey Kong!
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I bet you've helped others who will come after you. Maybe you made it a little easier for new members who aren't at their ideal sizes from being ridiculed by them- especially if you befriend them and those "ladies" (I use that term loosely) know you'll stand up for them. Also good for the trainer saying something! That gym/trainer sounds like a keeper!

Congrats on your recent weight loss!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker:
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Congrats on everything in this update! The weight loss, voicing your opinion and the support of your trainer! I would also write to the management and inform them of these hateful woman. With enough support you can probably get them to leave this gym. It is people like these woman that make it harder for others to keep going.

And these women probably aren't really even friends with each other. I bet they probably tear one another down when the others aren't around. They are truly lonely souls I am sure.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Wow I am totally in awe of how you handled it and where you took it. And I'm also quite happy about your trainer.
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    you are braver than me but wow, what a way to handle the bullies. Good for you! I think the gym should be as inclusive as possible and it sounds like you AND your trainer are making that happen, despite the "mean girls"

Congrats on your weight loss progress! Good job!

UPDATE:

After everyone's advice I thought about what would work for me and keep me from snapping so I did the smart thing...I stayed true to who I am. So it goes like this....
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Now watch your back; there may be some get-back on the horizon. They sound like the type.

It would be on like Donkey Kong!
    I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything!!! LOL...Donkey Kong!