Women - are you walking or jogging at 4mph?

Options
I'm curious as to whether you ladies find yourself walking or jogging at 4mph. I'm 5'4", I don't have stubby legs, but when I move the treadmill speed up to 4mph I have to jog. MFP lists 4mph as walking, though - the slowest jogging speed it lists is 5mph.

Replies

• psweetwood1015
    Options
    that is walking for me. i'm short and it is certainly fast walking.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too! honestly i go around 3.0 and start to get skippy a little, but its because Im 4'11...but I am a fast walker...but by 4 yes I know I would be
  • kei3696
    Options
    To me its a really fast walk. But I am JOGGING at like 4.2 mph. So it will be a looonnnnggggg time before I could jog a 5 mph. You are not alone.
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that it becomes more efficient for most people to jog rather than walk at right about 4mph... I can walk, but its hard. That's an in-between, for sure! Probably depends on how you are built. I walk at 3.7 on the treadmill with the incline at 1.5, and jog at about 5.2- doing c25k intervals. I guess look at your average over all.
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    Yeah that throws me as well. I run walk so I'm right at 4.2 or so for my average. 5'3"
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I've worked up to doing some "jogging" over the past months. I can jog for 20 minutes (I did 30 minutes last week, my all time high in one stretch) at 4.0 mph. Going 5 mph I can go for 2 minutes. I'm not following any set program, some days I try to go as long as I can in one stretch, some days I jog 5 minutes and walk 2 minutes and repeat (I've done 40 minutes total once of jogging doing it this way). I do those at 4 mph. Sometimes I just walk and then go 5 or 6 mph for 1 to 2 minutes and then walk again til my heart rate drops down and repeat. I just go til I burn 600 calories on my HRM which takes about an hour and ten minutes or so. 6 mph feels almost like sprinting to me lol. I don't have short legs. I "could" walk at 4.0 but it feels easier to jog. My walking is at 3.2 which feels quite brisk to me.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I start to jog at 4.3 but I've heard that most people will start at 4.0. It doesn't really matter what MFP says as far as running/walking. As long as you have the accurate speed, your calories burned will be accurate.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    5' 2" with short legs. 4mph is very fast walking for me.

My dad is 5' 4" also with short legs, and he can walk at like 5.5mph... When I was out of shape, he took me to a local park a few times where lots of people walked/ jogged. My running couldn't keep up with him walking back then. He would pass most of the other slower joggers too.

Incline makes a pretty big difference for me. As the incline gets steeper, my speed drops lower, both for walking and running.
  • WittneeT29
    WittneeT29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4.5, and consider it a fast walk, but don't really feel the need to jog until 4.7 or so. I am 5'7 (almost 5'8), though and have pretty long legs.
    This is a really interesting topic. I am glad it was posted!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    4pmh is no man's land for me, LOL.
    I almost can't jog that slow; it feels so awkward. But it's painfully difficult to walk that speed for any length of time.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Well it's running for me, and I'm proud of that.......... I 'couldn't' run, and then a couple of months ago I joined a beginners group. Turns out I was trying to go too fast. They slowed me down, and got me running, which according to my Garmin is 4mph consistently. I can run like that for an hour or so. It's definitely not walking. My speed is now improving c/o practise and speed training. And I'm not short at 5'7.

My husband, on the other hand, considers 4mph to be his normal walking speed. Quite hilarious if he comes out with me when i run; as he walks alongside:blushing:

At the end of the day, do what feels comfortable for you.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    I walk up until 5mph. Although 4.9mph is a MANIC walk... just not manic enough to pick it into a jog. I'm 5'8, guess I have long legs.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well for me it would have to be a jog at 4mph cause I can't walk fast at all..not possible for me. Yet I run at 6mph. SO 4mph would have to be jog I guess.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 9in. I walk briskly at 4mph and fast at 6mph. But I have long legs too.
  • MissMertz
    Options
    Ok I think what ya'll would consider a jog would be my flat out run!!! LOL I have short legs.. 3.5 seems to be a fast walk.. so I think 4.5 would be a jog for me.. slowly moving up to that.. :/
  • wednesdaystar
    Options
    When doing a walk/run programme, my 'standard' walking pace is about 4mph, and I run at 5.3. I think I can walk up until about 4.5 but would need to jog above that.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 4mph is a fast walk for me. I don't jog, so I have no idea what my jogging speed would be.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    for me (5'4"), 3.7 = brisk walk, 5.2=mellow jog, 6.5=medium run, 8.5+=sprint.
    So I guess 4.0 I could go either way, walk kinda fast or jog really slow.
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I can walk (briskly) up until around 4.5 before I would need to start jogging, but then I increase the speed to 5.0+ to jog because I don't like the "in between" speed.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'41/2, when I have gone out for a good walk it is with my husband so it is definitely a 4.0mph walk. I do not run, but can go at a good pace walking. If I were by myself it would be at 3mph easily. I don't do jogging.