Women - are you walking or jogging at 4mph?

Options

Replies

• Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to whether you ladies find yourself walking or jogging at 4mph. I'm 5'4", I don't have stubby legs, but when I move the treadmill speed up to 4mph I have to jog. MFP lists 4mph as walking, though - the slowest jogging speed it lists is 5mph.

from the OP .. I'm 5'4 .. and I walk that speed around my neighborhood.. I look like I'm walking in a hurry to get somewhere .. but not "speed walking" style that is deliberate in arm movements. Haven't done it on the treadmill yet .. will have to check it out at the gym sometime
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I have short legs.. 4mph is a slow jog for me, or a faceplant on the treadmill.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3", so 4.0 is a fast walk for me, and anything over that would definitely be a jog or run!
  • fit4life76
    fit4life76 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 4mph is a fast walk. Once I hit about 4.5 is when I start a slow jog.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Probably a slow jog or a proper speed-run. With butt-wiggling and everything.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Walking for me; I'm 5'7"
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    That is an easy walk speed for me. I start jogging after 5.5.
    I'm 5'4

I'm 5'5 and agree with the above. I find around 5mph difficult as I end up doing a kind of half walk/half jog
  • LibbyCaramia
    LibbyCaramia Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic! I guess everyone is different. I'm 5'5", pretty short legs and on my treadmill I walk at 5mph, and jog at 7mph. 4mph is my cool-down speed, 6mph is that awkward in-between walking/jogging stage for me. When I'm outside I can't really tell how fast I'm going but I try to stick to my treadmill speeds as long as I can :-)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Definitely a walk for me. I tend to walk at 4mph if I have to walk during one of my runs for any reason.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, I went on the treadmill for the first time in months the other day. Having said that outside my running speed was 4mph (actually now it's faster), 4mph on the treadmill is most definitely walking! There is a world of difference between treadmill set speed, and being outside with uneven pavements, hills and wind resistance.

At the end of the day though, it's all still movement, which is what we're after.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I normally walk at 4.0 and can sort of power walk up to 4.5. Then if I'm going to run, I just start at 5.0 so the diff between 4.5-5 is just that I don't feel comfortable doing either in that zone.

I'm 5'5".
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    4mph is definitely a jog for me! I'd say up to 4mph is a walk, 4-6 is a jog (after 5 is a run for me though) and 6+ is running.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hmm, at 4mph, it's a very very brisk walk for me. I'm about 5'4" :) I usually walk at 3.7mph, and when I start the run, I go up to 6mph.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    5'3 here fast walking!,...not conversation walking!:happy:
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    4 mph is actually the pace at which i do my brisk warm-up walk before i speed up to a jog at around 4.8 or 5
  • charl2712
    charl2712 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me I'm 5ft3 and have quite short stubby legs, but I'm able to walk fast at this speed and I usually put it on a gradient aswell. At times I do think I might need to start jogging, but usually I'm able to keep walking fast and feel in control.
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I am 5'4'' and at 4.0 I am walking at a very comfortable pace and feel no need to jog - it is what I usually start off at when I am warming up before a run.. At about 4.5 I am speed walking, but still do not need to jog - it isn't until about 4.8-5.0 that I am lightly jogging.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4 mph on the treadmill. I actually walk up to 4.5 mph, then start jogging as I increase to 5.5-6 mph. I am 5' 6" and have fairly long legs though, so most likely a longer stride.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4.0. It's definitely a fast walk and I am 5'7" I can imagine that if you are shorter it would be a jog.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well I run 7.5mph & I'm not fast at all.... so 4mph is more of a walk, like a slow walk. I can NOT walk fast & that would be a normal slow walk for me. I'm 5'4" with short legs.