Weight Watchers drop out... are you ?

Options

Replies

• sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm a WW drop out too!!... Was only allocated 25 pp a day & I was always hungry so cheated regularly!!! .. Had this app on my iphone for ages but didn't think to use it then I saw it mentioned on a WW forum.. Was scary at first eating whatever I wanted lol but I was soon seeing results!!... I'm now down 13lbs less than when I was with WW where I kept losing 1-2lbs & putting 1-2 back on!!.. Plus WW is damn expensive!!... I'll always have to watch what I eat so counting points just isn't realistic in the long term whereas everything has calories on it!!.. So glad I stopped wasting my money & came here.. The inky thing I've forked out on is a fitbit but I just like to see how much I move plus I like the additional calories I get given just for being at work or shopping.. ;)
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Why pay for what you can get for free!
    This program is the BEST!
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had it for about 4 months.

I just dont luke the point system....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    drop out!!!!

It worked for me, for the first 15lbs, then I started to increase my workouts big time, but just couldn't mentally get myself to increase my point intake, resulting in me not eating enough even though I was within my daily point range. I started to plateau despite the exercise which is when I switched to calorie counting here on MFP and never looked back!
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm a WW dropout too. The point counting was just so much harder than counting calories. I love that the database here is huge! Plus I can track other nutrients as well.
  • meenzer
    meenzer Posts: 100
    Options
    Who did not joint WW or only bought the books, or even thought about it/checked online.... MEE TOO OF COURSE :wink: ... I never joint them, or went to any meetings, thought bought all kinds of books. BUT after a while I stopped calculating the points.
    During this time I've developed eating healthier and found a sport that I enjoyed, so after I have seen the weight going slowly down, l stuck with it. I moved country-wise, so I had some distraction, but I am on my way again ... It is all about discipline (yes, sometimes I do believe the world is unfair with the weight!! :laugh: )
  • Morgenlstar
    Morgenlstar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs with weight watchers! I was so happy with the program because of the leniency but that is what became my problem. After the 50 pounds I yo yod between the same 10 lbs for 10 months... or as I like to put it, 400 bucks. I don't think counting points on the WW app is any more difficult than counting calories on here. In fact I'm feeling like WW is simpler than MFP. But my problem with WW is psychological. You have weekly points, and activity points, and an ability to manipulate the points to eat more of an item due to it being a rounded system. I think WW is a great program it just didn't work for me past the first 50 lbs because I'm finding ways to cheat within the rules and I need that to be removed.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    WW dropout over here. I had a LOT of success on it until they changed their plan back in... 2008? It used to be that 1 point was 50 calories, more or less. When they made fruit and veggies free, I packed on the weight. So, I packed up my bags, left, and moved here.

The functionality is similar, the support is MUCH better, and I don't have to pay for the app. :)
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm a drop out as well. I lost around 60 lbs before getting pregnant with my daughter but gained it all back during pregnancy. I joined again (online, switched to meetings, back online) and lost only 10 lbs in over a year. It was very frustrating so I dropped out.
  • kgor1957
    Options
    Hi... I to have have been an online member of WW for a few years. I usually start out eager to get things back under control, do well for a couple of weeks, and then I start to fret about counting the points. I get frustrated, and back away from the program. I have finally decided to step away from WW for awhile, as I don't know if it is the right program for me. I read their boards quite frequently, and noticed lately that they have a "Thread" for MFP. I joined MFP a while back, but never did anything about it, because again I was going to have to sit down, and enter everything that I was going to eat for each day....... Well, let me tell you, that didn't sit well with me at the time...... Fast forward to today.... I have already got my meals set up for tomorrow on the online tracker.... go figure. And I am in the process of working on my menu for Tues. My calories for the day are @1500. That's a lot of food to eat!!!! Just for the heck of it, I looked at my tracker and took 1 day in the life of a WW'r and entered what I was going to have to eat for that particular day. Guess what??? My calorie total for the day was around 1200 calories. Isn't that almost starvation mode? Sorry if I'm going on and on. Kat
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I was on WW a couple of years ago. I did lose 20 lbs using propoints using the online site. When they switched over, I just didn't like having to calculate everything. At the end of the day, I needed to know how many calories to eat every day and how many I expend. For me it just made sense.
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    I, also, am a WW drop out. I lost 75 pounds when I was in university. Then joined 3 more times and played the yo yo game. I found it so expensive to weigh in and track my points online! There were always add ins that cost extra ad a lot of the materials were not available at our meetings. Also the time I took to go to the meetings can be better spent on my cake business or going to th gym. At one point I stopped going and was desperate to find another way to lose weight. I had joined MFP a while ago and reconnected to try it again and I love it!!! The support here is much better!!
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm also a WW dropout. I attended 3 different times in my life. No long ago, I discovered my most recent weigh-in card while cleaning out some junk. Upon close inspection, I discovered that, over the time period the card covered (about 24 weeks), I was only 3 pounds less than the beginning weight recorded. I also found a bunch of pre-paid meeting tokens that are non-refundable. :grumble: I do remember deciding to quit just prior to the whole points program being introduced. It ticked me off because I had just bought an expensive electronic WW gismo, a "serving size"WW scale and a whole shelf full of cookbooks that would no longer be of use on their program. I am so happy I didn't decide to keep giving them my money!!

What had been used prior to the points was a simple check list... boxes you ticked off on a sheet of paper hanging in your kitchen. There were boxes for fruit, veggies, starchy foods (potatoes, pasta, rice, green peas, corn) meat, dairy and water and spaces to write in what foods you ate. There were a few things they had maximum numbers per week on and that was also represented with tick boxes. It was SIMPLE.

I found MFP just this June and I have lost more here than I ever did on weight watchers. I know I won't ever encourage anyone to become of member of WW! However, I have told many people about MFP and a lot of them have signed on and are now also loosing weight!

Forgot to mention that I did learn at the meetings but I did not like how the chapter I was in ran the meeting. They would ask people to stand who had lost 0-10 lbs, then 11-20 lbs etc. I hated being put on display to all others in the meeting by being asked to show my total losses. I refused to ever stand and that got me a stern lecture from the leader. I don't mind showing it off here on MFP though somehow... maybe its because I am more successful? Or maybe I just matured...
  • ZeeShay
    ZeeShay Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I've tried WW a few times it worked a bit, but i would always run into people I didn't want to run into, thats what killed it for me. lame I know but it would make the emotional eater in me want to eat junk.
  • archiesbaby
    Options
    I joined WW but didn't last a month. Really liked the nutritional info MFP gives and its database is huge which makes logging fairly easy. So I continue on with MFP; it works for me!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I too am making the switch from WW Online to MFP. I had great success with the tool (lost 90 lbs), but MFP is basically the same thing and it's free.

Tracking meals is 80% of WL success, along with getting all of your nutrients.

I'm going to follow continue to follow this just like I did WW at a maintenance level. I'm hoping it shouldn't be too hard.
  • Sandrose
    Sandrose Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Add me ex-WW's!! I'm loving MFP and I'm actually having fun losing weight. You can't beat that! I've got some very nice supportive friends who log on regularly and consistently track. It is so inspiring to have other members support and if you want to add me I would be happy to support your weight loss journey, also.
  • MelodieRSA
    Options
    I was a WW boomerang member - kept dropping out and going back :wink:

Lost 20lbs this time around but have been getting very complacent and I need to shake things up and kick it up a notch. Seems to me MFP does everything the WW site does and is free :smile:
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    when you set up your goals, don't use the recommended route and you can st the percentage to what you like through the custom goal route. I just use the recommended though and adjust to my own measures anyway...that way I know what they recommend, vs what I am doing. (I do low fat) :smile:
  • UndefinedLoser
    UndefinedLoser Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been with WW since February and completely understand how time consuming it could be to match points to products. Geesh! lol. However, I rarely use it but those random weeks I choose to follow the program strictly, I see results. I'm still with the program and count calories. I'm trying to see which method I like best. So right now, I haven't dropped out but It won't be long before I declare my self a drop out.