Breakfast at work

Options
driaxx
driaxx Posts: 314 Member
I start work early which means I have to eat breakfast at my desk once I'm there. The only thing is, I can't think of anything work-appropriate other than dry cereal that will fill me up and serve as a good breakfast.

Does anyone have any ideas? It'd be so helpful, especially if it could be something high in protein. Things like yogurt, milk etc. would spoil by the time I took them to work unfortunately.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Baked oatmeal FTW! I add either hemp protein powder or hemp seeds to mine. It's perfect for my macros as well as for satiety.

And it's "grab and go" because I make a 13X9 pan of them and put them in portioned baggies/foil. :flowerforyou:
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Why can't you bring an insulated lunch box with an ice pack?

Granola bars, banana's, grapes, most fruits don't need to be refrigerated. You don't have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. If your specifically looking for protein you could have a protein shake.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    how early is early? can you not eat before you arrive?
    can you elaborate a bit on "work appropriate"? Where do you work? do you sit at a desk or are you walking around?

I commute each way 2+ hours and have an insulated bag of all my food with me which covers breakfast, lunch and snacks. Nothing ever spoils. I bought these bags at Target as well so if you are in the US you can easily pick them up (3 bags for $10).
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    fruit totally skipped my mind!!!! a banana and a protein shake would be awesome.. I'm worried a drink won't fill me but it's worth a try, I was considering UP&GO's
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Get up 30 minutes early and eat breakfast at home.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Get up 30 minutes early and eat breakfast at home.

That might work for some people, but not so much for others. I would honestly need to get up a couple of hours early in order to be able to actually prepare nutritious food in the a.m. It takes me a good two hours to be fully alert.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    you can prep your stuff in the evening as well. I do this all the time :)
  • kswoodard
    Options
    I eat 1oz of low fat chesse and a protein shake. Or rolled up low sodium turkey breast or chicken breast.
  • ms78
    ms78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of blueberry and banana muffins (low in sugar and made with whole meal flour and oats) and eat one for breakfast. You could also take one of those pots of porridge that you just add boiling water to. I like the golden syrup flavour.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I get to work at 7:30am and eat my breakfast there. A few things i bring that are easy to transport and good/ filling are:

1. Oatmeal ( i add a teaspoon of flaxseed)
    2. Fresh fruit- string cheese
    3. Hard boiled eggs
    4. scrambled eggs in half a pita ( reheat if you have microwave)
    5.Peanut butter and banana sandwich

I sometimes combine one or two of these things like the oatmeal and fruit or hardboiled egg and fruit. Also get an insulated lunchbox and use one of the freezer ice packs if you want to bring something perishable.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

This is exactly what i do every night before bed. I pre log for the next day and go put as much of it together as i can so all i have to do is throw it in my lunch box in the morning. This not only saves me time on the what do i want to eat today but it keeps me from making bad choices and having something different because i dont want to have to go back in and redo my diary lol
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I start very early (4:00 am ). I have a 40 minute commute, so I am usually up by 2:30 am.
    All of my prepping is the evening before. We have a full kitchen at work.
    About 3 mornings a week, I have low calorie greek yogurt. I like Dannon's Fit and Light. I add chia seeds to it.
    Some mornings, I will have a poached egg on 1/2 of a sandwich round toasted. Some weekends I will make a big batch of steel cut oatmeal, and add raw nuts, dried fruit and cinnamon to it. I freeze it in individual serving sizes and just take it out the night before and put it in the fridge. I have my breakfast, lunch, snacks and sometimes supper ready to go in fridge the night before. Like others I have an insulated bag that I put everything in. I sometimes have frosted mini wheats. I bring almond milk when I have oatmeal or cereal.
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options

This is exactly what i do every night before bed. I pre log for the next day and go put as much of it together as i can so all i have to do is throw it in my lunch box in the morning. This not only saves me time on the what do i want to eat today but it keeps me from making bad choices and having something different because i dont want to have to go back in and redo my diary lol

This works for me, as well.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, yogurt, or a bowl of fruit.
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i take greek yogurt-- lots of protein, but we also have a toaster so i can make hi fiber english muffin, also-- I would look for some low cal hi fiber/protein muffins -- pinterest is awesome for finding great recipes-- i love it
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Something VERY quick at home would be scramble up some Egg Beaters--high in protein, fast to cook up in a pan (less than 5 minutes). I sometimes throw fresh spinach or salad greens into them as well as maybe a tiny bit of cheese or deli lunchmeat (ham or turkey)--but plain is fine and quick too!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I eat at work every week day. I cut all my veg and then add liquid egg white and some basil and microwave the mixture when I get to work. I microwave turkey bacon too.
    Other days I make cream of brown rice cereal, or I have Ruth's Chia goodness cereal with almond milk. I just heat it in the microwave. A few days this week I had a slice of rye bread or 2 pieces of ryevita bread and 1 ounce of mozzerella and some tomato. That was delish!
    Just find what works for you. That's always the key. There are even days when I'm in a rush that I have a meal replacement shake. I need the nutrients and that fills me until snack time.

Good luck, friend me if you want to see my food diary.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Luckily my office has a microwave. I make porridge with added protein powder and milk every morning. Mid morning snack is normally greek yogurt and fruit.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    MORNING GLORY (I copied this from MFP) I made these but did them in a slice tin, cut them into bars rather than as muffins. I wrapped them in cling wrap & froze them; then defrosted one in the microwave to take on the train when I was doing an hour and & half commute each morning.

Morning Glory Muffins

Ingredients
    2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1-2/3 cups white sugar
    2-3/4 teaspoons bicarb soda
    2-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups grated carrots
    2 cups peeled and grated apple
    1 cup flaked coconut (We just use dessicated)
    2/3 cup dates, pitted and chopped (We use Sultanas)
    2/3 cup chopped pecans(or walnuts)
    4 eggs, beaten
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly oil muffin cups, or coat with non-stick cooking spray.
    2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
    3. In a second bowl, combine carrots, apples, coconut, dates and pecans. Stir in eggs, oil and vanilla. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients; stir until smooth.
    4. Spoon or scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Mix frozen fruit into yogurt. As the fruit thaws it will keep the yogurt cold. Add your seeds or cereal when you get to work. I like all bran buds. Very yummy and very filling.