breakfast?

Options
124»

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast because I'm hungry (which also happens to be the reason I eat lunch and dinner).
  • huge2fan2
    huge2fan2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is just the first meal that you eat the next day (or the meal that breaks your fast from the night before). Some people require breakfast immediately after waking up (e.g., people with medical issues) and others prefer to eat later (e.g., brunch). I have been practicing intermittent fasting which gives you a set eating window of eight or less hours so I tend to eat my first meal later in the morning (around 11:30 AM). I still have energy and some mornings I work out at 5:00 AM without any problems. So, I would recommend just playing around with your times and determining what works best for you. The key is just being sure to get in all of your calories and eating at a deficit if you are trying to lose weight... Good luck!
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    I don't think it was sarcastic. But eat your breakfast! Maybe that is sarcastic. For me breakfast is an important meal and helps me with my workout. I don't think any study will disprove that it helps fuel my 6 mile tempo run. I could run without it, but I would be in a major calorie deficit, and I tend to be underweight, so why would I skip breakfast?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to eat breakfast to "start" your metabolism.

What is "metabolism" anyway? The calories burned by your body in a 24 hour period for during normal activity? Eating breakfast does not make you burn more through daily activity unless maybe you do some jumping jacks between bites.

Is it he calories burned to digest food? Yes, digesting food burns calories, but it's proportional to the amount of food you eat. If you eat 2000 spread over 5 meals you'll burn just as many calories digesting as you would if you ate one meal of 2000 calories.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Meh. I eat breakfast because i am starving when I wake up; I literally feel hollow inside when I get up in the morning. I don't think there is a way to know FOR CERTAIN that everybody NEEDS to eat breakfast to lose weight. As with a lot of weigh loss/diet science it's all conjecture because every single person on this earth is different in how the process calories and what their body requires to function.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    This! My blood sugars actually spike if I haven't eaten recently enough. :(
    I am a firm believer in not skipping breakfast, lunch or supper. Or my snacks. Then again I have a good reason not to anymore. Having low blood sugar is NOT fun so I have to remember to eat every 3 to 4 hours.

I always feel better with breakfast in my belly. Even if it is only a slice of toast or a yogurt. Maybe it does not kick start your metabolism but it certainly keeps your blood sugars in check.
    That's a good point; people with diabetes or other blood sugar issues may well need to eat meals at certain times to keep things on an even keel.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Some people are starving first thing in the morning (my kids). I personally hate eating in the morning so a 14 hr intermittent fast followed by my workout then a high protein meal about 30 minutes after works great for me. If you're hungry eat. If not dont. I don't think it's anything that will absolutely make or break your weight loss results.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I wish people would just state in their first post: Please tell me what I want to hear. Science is irrelevant. If not, you'll just be ignored until someone else comes along and tells me what I want to hear. Thanks.

Would save a lot of time for people actually trying to help.

Since many of the myths out there have been started by nutritionists, doctors, and scientists, using faulty studies, it is hard for many people to really know what is true, and what isn't.

I do believe that,some things will work for some people that don't work for others. That is why my advice is always, "Do what works for you.". Whether breakfast will kick start metabolism, may not be true, usually exercise will, which for many people requires food for proper fuel. I personally believe the metabolism effect from either would be negligible for most people, and the best reason for diet and exercise should be proper health, fitness, and nutrition. From my understanding, metabolism is usually increased with an increase in muscle mass, which for most people takes years of proper nutrition, and exercise to make much of a difference.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    As long as your hitting your calories, you'll be fine. Whatever you choose. =/ If your not a breakfast person then don't worry about it and have your meals in timeframes that work for you. Ever heard of IF or looked into it? It's a great example of how people who might not eat until later in the day still see the results they want. It all comes down to what will be easier for you and staying in your calories...
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I personally love love love breakfast foods.

What is a "breakfast food"?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast everyday because I have always been someone who wakes up pretty hungry. I know other people feel sick eating in the morning, so I don't think anyone should force themselves to eat it. Eat when your hungry. Although I find that eating a big.breakfast keeps me full for half the day and helps me make better choices afterwards/
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I guess another reason I eat breakfast is because I usually am really hungry by then. I don't tend to eat after 8pm the evening before. I then don't eat my breakfast until between 8-10am which is 12-14hrs between meals overnight. No wonder I'm so hungry come morning.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast disrupts your morning fat burning state of high cortisol and low insulin. Black coffee first, coffee with MCT or coconut oil second, then coffee with heavy whipping cream will keep you satiated until lunch time and keep you in fat burning mode all morning.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters whether you eat a meal within the first couple hours of waking up as long as you're making good nutritional choices with what you do eat throughout the day. I wake up and take my dogs on a 3 mile walk. I think that gets my metabolism going just as well as eating breakfast would.

My daughter doesn't normally eat breakfast. She doesn't like breakfast foods and eating too early makes her feel "yucky". I can go without breakfast and eat an early lunch on weekends but my weekday schedule usually has me hungry by 10am...sometimes sooner so I have a small breakfast before leaving for work. I also find if I eat a lot at night I am extra hungry the next morning.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I can't start a day out without eating breakfast.