C25k, Sit-Ups, Push-Ups, oh my!

Options
So, I've got a challenge for you - I recently (re) started a workout routine that includes the Couch to 5k (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml), 200 sit-up challenge (http://www.twohundredsitups.com/), and the 100 push-up challenge (http://hundredpushups.com/).

I'm looking for a support team to keep motivated. Even if you only want to do one or two of the programs, please join me! I am doing all three, every other day. Anyone interested? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm interested....are you going to do check ins? How are we going to do a group? I am new to all that stuff :-)
  • megstar8686
    megstar8686 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    sounds good :) i'm in!
  • ljutras
    Options
    i did the couch potato to 5k three years ago...it really works if you follow their program...
    100 push ups...holy moly, will have to check that one out
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yay! So, we've got a few and hopefully more will join in too.

We'll just use this thread to keep each other motivated, discuss how the workouts are working for you, etc. I finished week 2 on Saturday but I'm going to do at least one more day of week 2 before I move on to week 3. I'm just using the time lines for each challenge as a guideline, I just want to complete them.....even if it takes me longer. Glad to have you guys on board! :flowerforyou:
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to do the push up and sit up challenge, but I want to do the C25k. Not sure if I can start now. Weather is pretty bad outside and I don't have a treadmill for inside running.
    Good luck to you!!
  • McFatterton
    Options
    It's WAY too cold to run outside here too (I'm in MI) but I do have a treadmill and that's what I'm using for now. Excited for Spring so I can get outside and run there! I finished week2 last night and plan on starting week3 tonight while I watch The Biggest Loser.

Anyone else out there??
  • McFatterton
    Options
    I'm doing week3 day2 today. Anyone with me??
  • Mando55
    Mando55 Posts: 140
    Options
    Completed the 5k working on the other two currently. In week 5 on both. Been lifting weights so my push up program is in the back burner right now.
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Completed the 5k working on the other two currently. In week 5 on both. Been lifting weights so my push up program is in the back burner right now.

Awesome! Did you find that C25k was really affective? Tomorrow will be day 3 of week 3 for me.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Ha! You read my mind! Before I logged on this morning I was thinking about a push-up challenge.:laugh:

OK, so this is where I stand. I'm in MI too and really want to start the c25k again. The weather frightens me though. I can bundle up to handle the cold, but its the snow that worries me. Right now there is none, but you and I both know that could change in a matter of minutes around these parts.:noway: :laugh: So I guess I'll start it and if I need to, I have a friend who goes to Planet Fitness, I'll just tag along with her since her plan allows her to bring a guest as many times as she wants. She would probably appreciate the company anyway.

I'm down for the push ups. Right now I can barely do one! LOL I'm leary about the sit ups, they tend to irritate my sciatica. However, I can shhot for the same amount in crunches on my ball thingy. Thats part of my PT anyway for sciatica.

This is great. I'm going to get started today. Woowoo!
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Ha! You read my mind! Before I logged on this morning I was thinking about a push-up challenge.:laugh:

OK, so this is where I stand. I'm in MI too and really want to start the c25k again. The weather frightens me though. I can bundle up to handle the cold, but its the snow that worries me. Right now there is none, but you and I both know that could change in a matter of minutes around these parts.:noway: :laugh: So I guess I'll start it and if I need to, I have a friend who goes to Planet Fitness, I'll just tag along with her since her plan allows her to bring a guest as many times as she wants. She would probably appreciate the company anyway.

I'm down for the push ups. Right now I can barely do one! LOL I'm leary about the sit ups, they tend to irritate my sciatica. However, I can shhot for the same amount in crunches on my ball thingy. Thats part of my PT anyway for sciatica.

This is great. I'm going to get started today. Woowoo!

I'm with ya on the MI winter weather - I HATE it! :grumble: Thankfully I have a treadmill at home, otherwise I would have to put the C25k on hold. I'm a bit accident prone so me + snow/ice/cold weather = twists/broken/sprained/dislocated, etc bones/muscles/tendons/and on and on :laugh:

When I first started doing the push-ups I did them on the floor and just this week I started doing them on my stability ball. I thought that they were easier to do, but Oh. My. Goodness! My abs were SO sore after the first day (who am I kidding, they're still sore!). But, I love it when my muscles are sore.....makes me feel like I did some good! :happy:

I'm still struggling with the push-ups. I'm definately better than I was when I started, but I still have a long way to go. I do them the "girly" way - I think I need to start incorporating more strength training for my arms on my off days. Maybe that will help.

Anyhoo - so glad to have you on board! :bigsmile:
  • Mando55
    Options
    I didn't know about the C25k till after I completed a 5k on my own.
  • Mando55
    Options

Awesome! Did you find that C25k was really affective? Tomorrow will be day 3 of week 3 for me.

I didn't know about the C25k till after I completed a 5k on my own. It seems like it works though. Actually ran a 5k today. Need to work on my 10k now. I completed week 6 day 1 on sit-ups and struggled a bunch so I'm gonna drop back to week 5 day 1. Completed week 5 day 1 on push-ups today but struggled as well. I just started working out at a gym lifting weights so my arms are TIRED from the lifting. May hold off on the push-ups till I get used to lifting weights.

For anyone out there the 200 sit-ups, 100 push-ups and 200 squats is a great tool. It even has a logger so you can track yourself and others and post it directly to your facebook or twitter account.
  • famv5
    famv5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Can I join? I'd love to do this with you guys. I'm probably going to hold off on the push-up part since I cannot even do one girly one. :blushing: I don't know why. I guess I need to strengthen my arms.

Anyway, I'm all for the sit-up and c25k challenge, though. I have my own treadmill and a gym membership so I'm good to go. :wink:

So are we checking in on M, W, and F?
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Can I join? I'd love to do this with you guys. I'm probably going to hold off on the push-up part since I cannot even do one girly one. :blushing: I don't know why. I guess I need to strengthen my arms.

Anyway, I'm all for the sit-up and c25k challenge, though. I have my own treadmill and a gym membership so I'm good to go. :wink:

So are we checking in on M, W, and F?

Of course you can join! Glad to have another person :happy: . I know what you mean about the push-ups - I could barely do one girly one but now I can do about 12 in a row. Just check in whenever you need some motivation or some gripes!

Glad to have you on board!
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Just finished Day3 Week3. My abs aren't so sore anymore, but I can still feel it.....push-ups are still tough, but I manage to get them done. The running is getting easier but think I will do one more day of the running for week3 tomorrow before starting week4 on Tuesday. The straight 5 minute run in week4 is already freaking me out! :noway:

Also, I created a spreadsheet in Excel awhile ago with the circuits for each week laid out for all three of the programs to keep track of everything. If anyone is interested in it, just let me know, I'd be happy to email it to you. I keep track of how many calories I burn at each circuit, how far I run and how many sit-ups and push-ups I do in order to see my progress.
  • famv5
    famv5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been doing another running program for a while now and the longer runs used to freak me out, too, but they just work. It's weird. Then once you do it you just can't believe it and you are so proud of yourself. :)

I'm going to start from Day One on the C25K program even if it's easy for me. I want to go through the whole thing and I plan to start this Monday.

How are you doing your sit ups? Do you do them the old fashioned way on the floor and do you come completely all the way up or do you use a stability ball? Just wondering so I can decide how I'm going to do mine. It will be interesting to see how many I can do on day one. (haha)

I'd love to see the tracking chart you use. It must be fun watching your progress. I'd love to see my push-ups go from 0 to at least 5 or 10. I would be amazed!

I'll send you a message with my email address. :) Thanks so much! :)
  • McFatterton
    Options
    I've been doing another running program for a while now and the longer runs used to freak me out, too, but they just work. It's weird. Then once you do it you just can't believe it and you are so proud of yourself. :)

I'm going to start from Day One on the C25K program even if it's easy for me. I want to go through the whole thing and I plan to start this Monday.

How are you doing your sit ups? Do you do them the old fashioned way on the floor and do you come completely all the way up or do you use a stability ball? Just wondering so I can decide how I'm going to do mine. It will be interesting to see how many I can do on day one. (haha)

I'd love to see the tracking chart you use. It must be fun watching your progress. I'd love to see my push-ups go from 0 to at least 5 or 10. I would be amazed!

I'll send you a message with my email address. :) Thanks so much! :)

I started out doing my sit-ups (well, crunches actually) on the floor, but it was really hard on my back. Now I do them on my stability ball and do an entire sit-up. They are easier than doing them on the floor, but work so much better! My first day of doing them on the stability ball was last Tuesday and they are still slightly sore. :happy:

As for the running - I still can't believe that I can run for 3 minutes at a time. I know that I'll be able to do the 5 minutes - or at least MAKE myself do that :wink: . I've never ever ever been a runner or athletic whatsoever in my life so it's just disbelief that I can actually do this and not pass out!

I'd be happy to send you the spreadsheet if you're interested. :flowerforyou:
  • Mando55
    Options
    For those of you running keep it up. When I started running, I couldn't run for more then 30-45 seconds....yes seconds! Now about a year and some change down the road I am able to run for 45 minutes to an hour without stopping. My average mile pace is about 9 min 30 secs to about 10 min. When I first started, it took me 19 minutes to run .80 of a mile. So stay on it and DON'T GIVE UP OR GET DISCOURAGED. Follow the C25k program and I'm sure you will do fine. Tomorrow I will drop back a week on the sit-ups and start at week 5 day 1 and no push-ups for me, I hit the weights tomorrow as well.
  • PrincessSaraMarie88
    Options
    I am IN! Starting Jan 25, 2010!