C25k, Sit-Ups, Push-Ups, oh my!

Options

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Never made it to day 2 for the sit ups, but I will. I don't feel like I need to start over as day 1 didn't make me sore at all. I will do day 2 tonight. Maybe I can catch up this week and start week 3 next Monday. We'll see. If I get too sore I'll hold back, but that's my goal.

Week 1, day 2 will be tonight!!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I did actually do week 1, day 2 last night. So far I'm not feeling it. I might do it daily until I reach a point where I need the rest in between.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I did actually do week 1, day 2 last night. So far I'm not feeling it. I might do it daily until I reach a point where I need the rest in between.

I felt it a little bit the first day I did it, but then I didn't feel anything until about week 3 when I started doing them on my stability ball. I was sore for a few days after that but not much since.

Re-started week4 today with the C25k & Push-up challenge but continued on to week5 with the sit-ups and did 100 in my exhaustion round. I was recommending the C25k site to someone else and when I pulled up the site I realized that all last week I wasn't doing the whole routine. I was skipping an entire 5 minute run!:huh: I'm really glad that I noticed that - so when I restarted it today I did the whole thing - two 3min runs & two 5min runs. My knees hate me right now. Gonna eat dinner and settle in to watch TBL while I ice my knees.

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Did week 1, day 2 of the C25K tonight. I'll probably be stuck on week one for a while because I can't even keep up the one-minute intervals for the whole time. I really wish I could find an iPod app to help me know when to switch intervals, doing this without a clock or a watch is a real challenge, getting my iPod out of my pocket is nearly impossible.
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Did week 1, day 2 of the C25K tonight. I'll probably be stuck on week one for a while because I can't even keep up the one-minute intervals for the whole time. I really wish I could find an iPod app to help me know when to switch intervals, doing this without a clock or a watch is a real challenge, getting my iPod out of my pocket is nearly impossible.

http://www.active.com/donate/tntntx/jeffwelch

This website has a program that allows you to enter intervals into an existing playlist. This is what I use and I love it - I know that there are also podcasts you can download (I think some might be free), but I like using this site because I can use my own music. The only downside to it is that in order for your music to play without the intervals you have to delete the playlist (it has instructions on how to do that too) so that your itunes runs without intervals. It's not perfect but it works great for me!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Awesome, thank you!

ETA :grumble: the download link is broken, so I'm emailing the creator. I want this program!
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Awesome, thank you!

You bet! Glad I could help!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    W4D2 for situps - maxed out at NINETY-THREE and I feel like supergirl right now. W2D3 for pushups, maxed at 30. Doing W1D3 of C25K tomorrow night - and really looking forward to it.

Turns out that I can't use that program McFatterson recommended because I have a Mac, but there are two interval running podcasts that I've downloaded that will do it for me. The official C25K podcast is "Podcasts for Running" but I also subscribed to "Podrunner Intervals" just for a little variety, and because they also have an 8K and a 10K program.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Way to go Sunsh1ne!!!

About to do D2W1 (I like that Sunsh1ne), forgot about it until just now, I'll have to remind the hubby and have him do it tomorrow, perhaps when he gets home in the morning.
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Well, instead of doing my circuit last night I decided my energy would be better spent on Retail Therapy. It was desperately needed and I spent a lot of time walking. Will try to get it in tonight, but my husband has been out of town all week and is getting back today so I'm (obviously) more interested in spending time with him. So, worst case senario is that it gets put off until tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing?
  • mamaturner
    Options
    You'll be fine. Sometimes you need other kinds of "work outs" :wink: I had a similar one the other day. Did D2W1 yesterday on my work out ball like you've been mentioning Sara. It was much easier, but LORD! did I feel it the next day, I still do! So today I have to do D3W1, Yikes!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    I wrapped up week 1 today, I feel great! Glad I waited an extra day, though, towards the end my knee was twinging a little. I imagine it would have been worse if I'd gone yesterday when it was really hurting.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Just finished week 1 of the sit ups. Maxed at 30, 10 more than day 2, wahoo!! Feeling good. Hubby's gotta do his when he wakes !
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Just did a new exhaustion test for pushups - I went from 12, to 30! I haven't been able to do 30 consecutive pushups in good form since high school! This is exciting!

And I finished week 4 of 200 situps today. Maxed out at 110 in the last set, I can't believe it. I keep thinking I'm miscounting and this time I asked my roommate to count off for me, I really did it!

Starting C25K week 2 tomorrow!
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Did Day2Week4 of C25k & push-ups yesterday and boy was it tough! I couldn't even complete my last 5 minute run. I think I'll be doing this week over again. I'm starting to get worried that I'm gonna have to put the C25k on hold for awhile. I've had chronic knee problems ever since I was 13 (they dislocate, don't have any cartilage and have water on the knee on my right knee) and they are starting to get very aggravated by the running. But, today I did a 5k on the treadmill - ran a couple times but walked most of it so, if I do need to quit the C25k I'll just start doing a 5k, trying to better my time each time. On the positive side, I did Day2Week5 of the sit-ups and maxed out at 110.

Sorry for the rambling - hope everyone is having a good weekend!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    W3D1 for pushups - 28 on the exhaustion round. New exhaustion test for crunches - SEVENTY! Once I finish this program, I'm moving to an all-over ab toning program that was too hard for me before. Also started w2 for C25K today. So hard!!! It's also the coldest day I've tried running. High teens with wind chill! It felt like no matter what I did, I couldn't pull in enough air. Does anyone else have trouble running in the cold?
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Did D1W2 last night. It's like it made the ache in the abs go away! I did a total of 90, the max in the last rep was 17 I believe and I did 35, wahoo!

Hubs fell off the wagon, but plans to do his D3W1 today.
  • McFatterton
    Options
    Finished Week4 for C25k & push-ups (again) and Week5 for sit-ups tonight. Will be doing Week4 yet again for both the run and push-ups.

Sunsh1ne - I haven't run outside in the cold yet, but I have heard of people having a harder time breathing when the air is cold. I'm a big chicken (and live in cold *kitten* MI) and just can't bring myself to run outside. But, I can't wait for Spring, I think running outside will make me concentrate on more than checking my time every few seconds to see if it's time to walk yet. :tongue:
  • one_hot_momma
    Options
    Hello... I am doing all of these challenges. I guess I didn't realize there is a group for them! I start tomorrow week 2 of c25k. I have been running laps in my basement because it is way to cold out and about 7 inches of snow comes everytime I think about it. I am on week 2 of pushups, squats and situps. Look forward to having partners through this :)
  • Sunsh1ne
    Options
    Didn't run today, I decided to give my knee the time off instead. Going to try it tomorrow with an ace wrap and see if that helps. I'm also going to try some tips my research turned up for cold-weather running. It's kind of duh, but i found out that if you're cold to the point of shivering, you use up your glycogen stores two or three times as fast as normal - I think that might explain why my endurance was abnormally low last time around. So I'll dress a little warmer this time and see what happens. :smile:

Started w5 for situps, and maxed out at 100 - feeling great! W3d2 for pushups, maxed at 35. I feel much, much stronger, and I know that on weeks when I don't lose weight, I'm probably building a little muscle. If nothing else, I feel a lot less anxious about the rate at which I'm losing.