Clean eating condiments?

Options
13»

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Is it only on MFP that people manage to get their socks in a knot over a simple question?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Ever heard of lycopene? It's a natural phytochemical from tomatoes found in ketchup and marinara sauce. It is also also a food coloring (e160d) and has know and researched possible/unclear anti-cancer properties. Would you like that sauce with a reference?

Because you don't seem able to figure this out, I'll be blunt. No, obviously I have nothing against the TOMATOES in tomato sauce.

Honestly, I've got no choice but to concede defeat. Everyone has references to why they're right. No one is going to change their mind. If you don't believe there's any merit to eating food that comes from the ground without being chemically altered by humans, that's absolutely your prerogative. I'm not interested in changing your mind. My interest was giving the OP ideas on flavoring food without compromising what she wants from her own diet.

e160d is also a manufactured colorant. It isn't bad per se.
    That's fine that is your interest, please go ahead and give that input.

My interest is that these blanket condemnations about types of food based on hearsay be challenged because they make no sense and actually are the wrong focus to promote to people. These ideas taken to an extreme do not make sense. You are against fad diets, I only ask that you consider having a very critical attitude when a type of food selection process is being taken to such levels if you are going to make a an argument about "this is the way to eat". If it is your own personal choice - go to it, eat as you like.

The HFCs strawman has been put to rest. Again, what specific ingredients are pervasively present in all condiments that would make them un"clean"? The answer is none.

Should I somehow stop using sauces, spices from around the world because they have somehow magically become un"clean"? Again the answer is no.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Is it only on MFP that people manage to get their socks in a knot over a simple question?
    Have ever been to a Dental Association meeting? - or a Bible Study Group? - or even a Choir Committee Meeting

In short - NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Zeromilediet
    Options
    Have ever been to a Dental Association meeting? - or a Bible Study Group? - or even a Choir Committee Meeting

There is truth to Sartre's 'Hell is other people' I guess :-)
  • hughtwalker
    Options

Oh yes! When you're this overweight, anyway (see photo)
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

Yes, bacon or nuts are my condiments. or sometimes tuna also.
  • melissa5604
    Options
    I put Lousiana hot sauce or Tabasco on everything, I am kind of partial when it comes to that stuff...have not eaten ketchup in yrs...if I cook a steak it does NOT need a condiment and if you put one on a piece of meat I cook , I WILL take it as an insult or my cooking is NO good.
    For steaks, and pork chops, I use one of two things, either Montreal steak seasoning..and a little vinegar to tendorize , or Tony Chachere's cajun season.
    I also do not ever flour or bread m,y pork. My mom did that..bread pork chops every week.. I just add the seasoning and cook them in the pan and they come out crispy.

If I get a steak not cooked right , I got to have A1 or Heinze 57 ....:(
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

... literary aside ...

Sartre's idea was actually much darker - it would be better to translate the phrase not literally but more likely " Hell is others" - it is intended as a commentary not of the difficulty of dealing with other but of the self-awareness that the view of others bring to our own awareness of ourselves. In his view, when we see ourselves through the eyes of others we are diminished. In the current care, this would be true if the OP and the clean-extreme crowd saw our criticism as some sort of new awareness of personal failings. Not really possible or wanted.
    Sartre's view in this case is weak and diluted, how can one suddenly be confronted by a personal character flaw and absorb it as a truth in the anonymity of the Internet where we have the computer screen to provide some defense and do not/cannot truly pretend to provide deep insights into the failings of other? Sartre might be reduced today to "Annoyance is other people."
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    that works too
  • Zeromilediet
    Options

... literary aside ...

Sartre's idea was actually much darker - it would be better to translate the phrase not literally but more likely " Hell is others" - it is intended as a commentary not of the difficulty of dealing with other but of the self-awareness that the view of others bring to our own awareness of ourselves. In his view, when we see ourselves through the eyes of others we are diminished. In the current care, this would be true if the OP and the clean-extreme crowd saw our criticism as some sort of new awareness of personal failings. Not really possible or wanted.
    Sartre's view in this case is weak and diluted, how can one suddenly be confronted by a personal character flaw and absorb it as a truth in the anonymity of the Internet where we have the computer screen to provide some defense and do not/cannot truly pretend to provide deep insights into the failings of other? Sartre might be reduced today to "Annoyance is other people."

sigh
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    why the sigh?