Why Overnight Oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It takes 5 minutes to cook. What is your deals? It just seems weird to me. You don't have 5 minutes to make oatmeal? It's faster in the microwave. And, don't you have to microwave it anyway in the morning? So, you save ZERO time?

Just confused on this. I mean, it really is freaking me out.

Unless, it's a little different somehow. Different taste or texture. Then, I understand. But, from what I hear, there is this illusion that it saves time. You had to cook it the night before. So, what time was saved???? LOL (People trip me out).

I will do things to save time. I consider myself an efficiency expert. But, if I add up the time, and none is saved, I wont do it.

Thanks.

I like my oatmeal cooked fresh in the morning, I like the texture better when it's not soaked or soggy. However there are benefits to soaking any grain. In the old days before the industrial revolution grains were sometimes soaked by default and it has shown that soaking the grain provides many benefits like making the PH more neutral. Old fashioned oats were traditionally soaked over night. Americans tend to have too much acid foods compared to alkaline foods in their diet. Eating more alkaline foods has been proven to lower the risk of cancer. Just don't get obsessed about this though. Eat as much greens as you can and eat as healthy as you can without becoming obsessed. Enjoy food and life, eat what you like. Life is too short to eat anything you don't like. My life is half over and I refuse to eat anything that isn't' to die for.
    Sprouted grain differs from whole grain in three fundamental aspects: 1) sprouting activates food enzymes; 2) sprouting increases vitamin content, and 3) sprouting neutralizes antinutrients like phytic acid which bind up minerals preventing your ability to fully absorb them. When examining the nutrient density of sprouted wheat to unsprouted wheat on a calorie-per-calorie basis, you’ll find that sprouted wheat contains four times the amount of niacin and nearly twice the amount of vitamin B6 and folate as unsprouted wheat; moreover, it contains more protein and fewer starches than non-sprouted grain and as a further boon, it is lower on the glycemic index making it more suitable for those suffering from blood sugar issues.

Furthermore, sprouted grain and sprouted flours – having been effectively “pre-soaked” do not need to undergo further soaking or souring and are therefore suitable for quick breads, cookies and cakes in a way that sourdoughs and soaked flours are not.

from http://nourishedkitchen.com/sprouted-grain/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are NOT a form of instant oatmeal and take approximately 20 minutes to cook. The texture is not a mushy as old fashioned (rolled) oats or the OTHER instant oatmeal ... quick cooking oats.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Most Overnight Oatmeal references aren't referring to oatmeal that is cooked in a crockpot overnight, it's oatmeal that is mixed with milk or yogurt or juice and left to soak overnight. It gets kind of chewy texture that I like, and it is eaten cold, which is the reason why most people eat it during the summer months.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Also some of the overnight oats people are cooking (in their crockpots) are steel-cut oats, which are different to regular ones. They take longer to cook, so people like to do them slowly overnight in a crockpot.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't cook mine. I mix it with greek yogurt, chia seeds, milk, and whatever else I'm feeling and enjoy it cold in the morning. Relax.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Do people make overnight oatmeal with old fashioned oats?
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Because it tastes good?
    Its more creamy, different texture, and delicious. I like it both ways.

Its not laziness. It is just a different way to eat oatmeal.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Do people make overnight oatmeal with old fashioned oats?

Yup :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't cook mine. I mix it with greek yogurt, chia seeds, milk, and whatever else I'm feeling and enjoy it cold in the morning. Relax.

^This! Old fashioned, rolled & instant oats..... are already cooked. These are steamed & rolled (or steamed & rolled really thin) ... any dry instant oatmeal can also be added to smoothies too.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat dessert for breakfast Just eat the Cake and stop trying to make it sound healthy!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either. Americans are strange creatures.

So are men.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I cook it at night and allow it to cool overnight so it thickens up and can be made into a smoothie or something more refreshing during warm weather months. A cold breakfast just makes more sense then! It does have a more sold texture when it sits overnight as well.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i think i have diabeetus now.
    Cause they taste better

Choc overnight proats with Krave, Reeses puffs and pb patties

Banana cheesecake overnight proats topped with a banana and Girl Scout PB Patties
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    It's laziness and it tastes good for me....

I have 5 small tupperware containers I put in a row.. fill them all up with a half cup of old fashioned oats, protein powder, cinnamon... mix them while dry ingredients is there.. and then pour in half of a cup of unsweetened almond milk.. little bit of honey... mix them again.. put a lid on them and let them sit in the fridge...... i enjoy 1 a day for 5 days... saves me extra time in the morning.

I wake up at 4am already, no need to wake up any earlier to boil and cook old fashioned oats (20 min) in the morning..

when i bring them to work, i bring a piece of fruit as well, cut it up and eat it with the cold oatmeal...

THE END!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you didn't cook it.

That changes everything.

I will only eat it if I can put raw bacon in it, and it will cook overnight, along with the oatmeal.

But, seriously, so, you don't ever cook it. It just soaks in something? It sounds gross. But, i'm sure it's sort of awesome, in it's own way. LOL
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    What I like about overnight oatmeal, is that I can grab a jar in the morning and eat it when I'm at work. The texture and flavour is also very different from cooked oatmeal. My current favourite is with milk, chia seeds and shredded coconut.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well, i don't eat instant oats so mine have to soak , plus I don't even have a microwave tbh. I microwave food at work but outside of it I try to avoid it. It is healthier this way . i am awear that with eating microwaved food 5 days a week for lunch, it probably doe snot change much if I don't do it in teh mornings but it somehow make sme feel better baout it anyway :) ... Plus I eat my oats cold anyway:) For warm grains I like farina or milet with raisins and flax seeds and honey :) ... cooking millet this way takes time so it is weekend thing :) ... to each their own I guess.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It takes 5 minutes to cook. What is your deals? It just seems weird to me. You don't have 5 minutes to make oatmeal? It's faster in the microwave. And, don't you have to microwave it anyway in the morning? So, you save ZERO time?

Just confused on this. I mean, it really is freaking me out.

Unless, it's a little different somehow. Different taste or texture. Then, I understand. But, from what I hear, there is this illusion that it saves time. You had to cook it the night before. So, what time was saved???? LOL (People trip me out).

I will do things to save time. I consider myself an efficiency expert. But, if I add up the time, and none is saved, I wont do it.

Thanks.

Because yes, I am the kind of person that does not have their crap together in the morning. If I don't put what I need in my bag the night before, I will for sure forget it in the morning...so making OO on Sunday night and then having breakfast for the next five days already figured out is not only time-saving, it's awesome! And easy to eat at work if its a really rushed morning, haha
  • csummer8882
    csummer8882 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OK at the risk of sounding like a dumba$$....what is "proats"?
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    OK at the risk of sounding like a dumba$$....what is "proats"?

i believe protein oatmeal... who knows i could be wrong haha