Why Overnight Oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because I don't put milk or anything really in my oatmeal. I just boil it in water and eat. Sometimes I put banana or raisens. But, that's it' i don't put milk in it.
    It sems weird to me that you could enjoy oats boiled in water with nothing else in them.

Maybe I should start a thread about it.

I do what I can to eliminate, what I consider, unnecssary calories. Breakfast is not a meal to enjoy, just something to eat for nutrition. I enjoy foods later in the day.

Something else weird to start a thread about!

Go for it. this is mine. Start your own if you want to.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It takes 5 minutes to cook. What is your deals? It just seems weird to me. You don't have 5 minutes to make oatmeal? It's faster in the microwave. And, don't you have to microwave it anyway in the morning? So, you save ZERO time?

Just confused on this. I mean, it really is freaking me out.

Unless, it's a little different somehow. Different taste or texture. Then, I understand. But, from what I hear, there is this illusion that it saves time. You had to cook it the night before. So, what time was saved???? LOL (People trip me out).

I will do things to save time. I consider myself an efficiency expert. But, if I add up the time, and none is saved, I wont do it.

Thanks.

simple - two reasons:

(1) some people like the yogurty cold taste
    (2) cooking in the micro is easy, but you it takes time to cook (maybe 2-3 min only, but not the same as grab and go...also theirs a few minutes of cool down time), you need to be careful of boilover (meaning, cook in a large dish then transfer to a smaller dish) - so some don't like the hassle.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are NOT a form of instant oatmeal and take approximately 20 minutes to cook. The texture is not a mushy as old fashioned (rolled) oats or the OTHER instant oatmeal ... quick cooking oats.

This. When I ate oats in the morning I always ended up burning them because I didn't have 20 minutes to sit around waiting for my steel cut oats to cook so I would cook 4 portions of oats at a time, put in the honey and berries and then portion them out for the 4 days I was going to eat them. It was a grab meal in the morning that I liked either cold or reheated.

I stopped eating instant oats a long time ago as I started reading the added benefits of eating steel cut.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not a meal to enjoy, just something to eat for nutrition. I enjoy foods later in the day.

really? kind of a bold black and white statement, no? you sound like a nutrition nazi. isn't it ok if we enjoy each meal we eat (including bkfst)? I am looking at lifestyle choices for the rest of my life - I don't want to be stuck punishing myself every morning cuz of some macho-sounding self-flagellation mind-set.

that being said, I think we should all have schedules that allow us 5 minutes to make oatmeal hot if that's how we like it. if you don't have that time, then something is wrong with your life and you will probably age rapidly with over production of stress hormones.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Maybe it's because I don't put milk or anything really in my oatmeal. I just boil it in water and eat. Sometimes I put banana or raisens. But, that's it' i don't put milk in it.
    It sems weird to me that you could enjoy oats boiled in water with nothing else in them.

Maybe I should start a thread about it.

I do what I can to eliminate, what I consider, unnecssary calories. Breakfast is not a meal to enjoy, just something to eat for nutrition. I enjoy foods later in the day.

I'm baffled. Why would you waste an entire meal's worth of tastebuds and calories on something you just don't like when you can get all the health benefits in something you do like.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal because TIMTOWTDI

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=timtowtdi

yay diversity!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    that being said, I think we should all have schedules that allow us 5 minutes to make oatmeal hot if that's how we like it. if you don't have that time, then something is wrong with your life and you will probably age rapidly with over production of stress hormones.

I go to work at 6:30 in the morning. I like to sleep. If I take five minutes to make oatmeal in the morning, I lose sleep.

But I leave work at 3:30 in the afternoon and enjoy my day.

That's a bit of a blanket, black and white statement right there. Just sayin'. :-)

However, if I fancied some hot oatmeal in the morning, I could cook it ahead of time, portion it out, take it to work and heat it up in the microwave if I wanted.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Breakfast is not a meal to enjoy, just something to eat for nutrition. I enjoy foods later in the day.

really? kind of a bold black and white statement, no? you sound like a nutrition nazi. isn't it ok if we enjoy each meal we eat (including bkfst)? I am looking at lifestyle choices for the rest of my life - I don't want to be stuck punishing myself every morning cuz of some macho-sounding self-flagellation mind-set.

I didn't mean it the way you took it. I just meant that that's how I look at it. I don't care about breakfast, I just eat. If overnight oatmeal requires milk or yogurt, I'm out of the discussion. I don't want that stuff in my breaky.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like hot cooked oatmeal, sometimes I like cold overnight oatmeal. Both delicious, and take about the same amount of time to prepare, (the overnight you do the day before you eat it..of course) Whoever said breakfast was just an ordeal rather than a meal to enjoy....I totally disagree. If its not pleasing as well as healthy, I am not eating it. Life's too short not to eat good food. And good food can be awesomely good for you.
  • meganbwright
    Options
    If you haven't tried it yet, I recommend that you do. I started with this recipe, and I've made several variations. It's a fairly high protein, low calorie, filling and delicious breakfast. I love that it can be customized in so many ways.

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/08/08/tomorroats/
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Are you related to someone else I know on here who runs around and tsk, tsks everyone for having a full and active life?

I have 5 minutes in the morning for instant oats, but instant oats would never again pass these lips and I don't have 20 minutes in the morning to make steel cut oats.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I didn't mean it the way you took it. I just meant that that's how I look at it. I don't care about breakfast, I just eat. If overnight oatmeal requires milk or yogurt, I'm out of the discussion. I don't want that stuff in my breaky.

But why in the world would you bother eating ANYTHING voluntarily that wasn't enjoyable??
  • lismerie
    lismerie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You don't cook it at night- you put in the fridge and it "cooks" overnight. Some people like it cold.....

I like it both ways....and I enjoy being a strange creature- wouldn't change it for the world!

Never heard of overnight oatmeal before but this does sound pretty cool ._. I might try it!
  • neverstray
    Options
    For those that wake up with your hair on fire, and run into your car half-dressed and shouting, and screaming, and throwing your kids out of your car as you drive past the school at 50 MPH...yeah, I'm the polar opposite of that person. I get up 30 minutes before I have to just so I can relax, maybe have a cup of coffee and enjoy a bit of the morning before I have to even think about jumping in the shower. So, that's always my point of view. I don't understand the above personality type. It is so unnecessary. But, at the same time, I know here are more of those people than people like me. LOL.

Carry on. When I say I don't understand, I don't mean it in a snotty way. This post was obviously tounge in cheek. Most got it, some didn't.

If it bothers you because you think it's stupid. Stop posting in it, and carry on to your more important matters. OK?

I think it's funny. And, I did learn something. I might try overnight oatmeal jst to see if it works. I probably wont eat it though. I just want to see what it looks like, and maybe take a small taste. LOL.

What I'm most curious about is how it might taste if I mix it with one of my yoplait lite yogurts. I have many different flavors. Might be fun to try it with Orange Cream, or Very Vanilla.
  • neverstray
    Options

But why in the world would you bother eating ANYTHING voluntarily that wasn't enjoyable??

Nutritional purposes. I am training myself to ignore taste and preference and just eat for purely nutritional reasons. I fail everyday. But, that is my goal someday is to eat so perfectly, I don't even poo.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Because it is yummy cold, or if I want it hot I can heat it up. Also, maybe the oats don't take long to cook, but I love fresh chopped fruit in mine, and while the chopping doesn't take long, I don't want to have to do many dishes when I'm getting ready for work. A mug and a spoon can hit the dishwasher, but if I have a dirty knife, cutting board, and saucepan. I have to hand wash and dry and put away. I make regular steel-cut oats on my days off, especially as it gets colder. In fact, as I am off today, lunch is pumpkin spice steel cut oats.
  • johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    steel cut whole oats take almost 20 minutes to cook to a nice texture like you'd get with instant oats or quaker ones. steel cut oats have the whole grain inside still while instant oats or rolled oats do not. it's similar to the difference between eating whole grain breads and white bread. overnight oats allow people to eat steel cut oats without having to cook it for 20 minutes in the morning - plus it's so easy to grab a container out of the fridge and eat it on your way to work! :) you can also incorporate tons of flavours easily and not have to deal with tons of supplies and dishes when youre rushing out of the house in the morning
  • neverstray
    Options
    steel cut whole oats take almost 20 minutes to cook to a nice texture like you'd get with instant oats or quaker ones. steel cut oats have the whole grain inside still while instant oats or rolled oats do not. it's similar to the difference between eating whole grain breads and white bread. overnight oats allow people to eat steel cut oats without having to cook it for 20 minutes in the morning - plus it's so easy to grab a container out of the fridge and eat it on your way to work! :) you can also incorporate tons of flavours easily and not have to deal with tons of supplies and dishes when youre rushing out of the house in the morning

Can you make it several days in advance?
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

Can you make it several days in advance?

Yes, you can make it up to 3 days in advance (more probably depending on recipe variation).
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    Because I love steel cut oats and overnight in the slowcooker make the breakfast quick, easy and ready when you wake up to a wonderful smell!