Why Overnight Oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It takes 5 minutes to cook. What is your deals? It just seems weird to me. You don't have 5 minutes to make oatmeal? It's faster in the microwave. And, don't you have to microwave it anyway in the morning? So, you save ZERO time?

Just confused on this. I mean, it really is freaking me out.

Unless, it's a little different somehow. Different taste or texture. Then, I understand. But, from what I hear, there is this illusion that it saves time. You had to cook it the night before. So, what time was saved???? LOL (People trip me out).

I will do things to save time. I consider myself an efficiency expert. But, if I add up the time, and none is saved, I wont do it.

Thanks.

First, you must have a very easy, carefree life if this is what you're concerned about.

Second, "overnight oats" are not the old-fashioned oats. People do that with steel cut oats, which take much, much longer to cook.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you didn't cook it.

That changes everything.

I will only eat it if I can put raw bacon in it, and it will cook overnight, along with the oatmeal.

But, seriously, so, you don't ever cook it. It just soaks in something? It sounds gross. But, i'm sure it's sort of awesome, in it's own way. LOL

i personally prefer the cold oatmeal to the cooked... then again i also prefer cold pizza to hot pizza...
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It takes 5 minutes to cook. What is your deals? It just seems weird to me. You don't have 5 minutes to make oatmeal? It's faster in the microwave. And, don't you have to microwave it anyway in the morning? So, you save ZERO time?

Unless, it's a little different somehow. Different taste or texture. Then, I understand. But, from what I hear, there is this illusion that it saves time. You had to cook it the night before. So, what time was saved???? LOL (People trip me out).

I will do things to save time. I consider myself an efficiency expert. But, if I add up the time, and none is saved, I wont do it.

Thanks.

I don't know why this freaks you out... a hobby might work. As for why someone might cook oatmeal overnight, not everyone cares for instant oatmeal that has been stripped of some of its fiber and nutrients. Steel cut oats take a few hours to cook so some people (myself included) like to throw it in a crock pot and leave it on low for the night. In the morning you wake up to yummy hot oatmeal. Also like another posted stated some people believe that there are benefits to soaking your grains over night.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    love my "oatmeal" LOL
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I just shove the contents of the packet in my mouth and wash it down on my way out the door.

129227958823847.jpeg
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Home cooking seems to taste better the less convenient it is. I reheat food in a pot on the stove or in the oven. The taste and texture of microwaved meat is just not worth the convenience. Overnight oatmeal is a head-scratcher, I don't get it. Not knocking anyone if they really enjoy the taste of it, I just don't see how it's so much more convenient.
  • tiffanypettyjohn
    Options

Thanks.

From my point of view, your freak out over people's over night oatmeal is just as illogical as the people who make overnight oatmeal...

ha.
    Haha... My thoughts exactly!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Do people make overnight oatmeal with old fashioned oats?

I do. I do not use instant oatmeal. Old fashion, rolled oats.

I have also used steel cut oats with good results. I just let them overnight longer.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Home cooking seems to taste better the less convenient it is. I reheat food in a pot on the stove or in the oven. The taste and texture of microwaved meat is just not worth the convenience. Overnight oatmeal is a head-scratcher, I don't get it. Not knocking anyone if they really enjoy the taste of it, I just don't see how it's so much more convenient.

refer to my first post, it states convenience for myself?!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because I don't put milk or anything really in my oatmeal. I just boil it in water and eat. Sometimes I put banana or raisens. But, that's it' i don't put milk in it.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think overnight oats develop a lot more flavor and I like the texture better. If you add greek yogurt it becomes pudding like!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    From my point of view, your freak out over people's over night oatmeal is just as illogical as the people who make overnight oatmeal...

Calling it a "freak out" might be a bit of an exaggeration, it's a legitimate question.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I think overnight oats develop a lot more flavor and I like the texture better. If you add greek yogurt it becomes pudding like!

This actually makes sense, and kind of makes me want to try it
  • rml_16
    Options
    Maybe it's because I don't put milk or anything really in my oatmeal. I just boil it in water and eat. Sometimes I put banana or raisens. But, that's it' i don't put milk in it.
    It sems weird to me that you could enjoy oats boiled in water with nothing else in them.

Maybe I should start a thread about it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do people make overnight oatmeal with old fashioned oats?

I do. I do not use instant oatmeal. Old fashion, rolled oats.

I have also used steel cut oats with good results. I just let them overnight longer.

Old fashioned & rolled oats ARE instant ..... sorry
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    It sems weird to me that you could enjoy oats boiled in water with nothing else in them.

I do what I can to eliminate, what I consider, unnecssary calories. Breakfast is not a meal to enjoy, just something to eat for nutrition. I enjoy foods later in the day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

LOL
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2012/01/whats-the-fuss-about-soaking-grains-explanation-and-research-shared.html

Many people prefer to soak their grains before eating them. Google Weston Price to learn more.

D
  • rml_16
    Options

I do what I can to eliminate, what I consider, unnecssary calories. Breakfast is not a meal to enjoy, just something to eat for nutrition. I enjoy foods later in the day.

Something else weird to start a thread about!