My Success: Results of quitting smoking

Options
1235»

Replies

• goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Thank you for all the positive comments and good luck to all those that are quitting or want to.

The biggest bit of advice I could give to anyone wanting to quit is to REALLY want it, if you do truly want to quit you will.

A big help to me was to understand the following:

1. Why do I smoke?
    2. Do I smoke more or less in certain situations?
    3. Am I really addicted to nicotine?
    4. What's more important life or a white stick?
    5. Why do cigarettes control my life?
  • meaghan2008
    meaghan2008 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    WOW amazing!
  • itsdonna35
    Options
    Congrats! You have given me the inspiration to kick my habit quicker! I have slowed down and no longer smoke during work breaks so now I am trying very hard to completely stop which I'm sure will help my endurance for physical activity.
  • jscupp1016
    jscupp1016 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is great! Keep it up! Not only do you save money, but you will feel so much healthier (or should perhaps even now!)..... I'm so happy when I see a success story of someone quitting. My aunt Shirley passed last year from lung cancer, at only 50 years old, and she kept telling me how if she could go back in time or tell everyone she sees smoking to please quit she would so I know she would be so happy to read something like this. 2013 Onward and Upward, great job!!
  • eastcoastlisa
    eastcoastlisa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!!
  • goonas
    Options
    I got there...

68FF1637-E6AF-4E45-BCAD-25FFA96BD54A-5346-000003EB4551C039.jpg

£2,600 saved from being burnt this last year. :)
  • ktbazzy
    ktbazzy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I've told myself and my kids I will stop Feb 1. Taking this time to come to terms with the issues you listed above - why do I smoke, what occasions make me smoke, etc. etc. I've been smoking 30 years on and off, 6 years since I last 'quit'. I will definitely put the money into savings for a vacation for the family or something special. One day at a time!
  • alexisetsfire
    alexisetsfire Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started logging my calories on Dec 1st and decided after two weeks if I was going to start eating healthier and losing weight, I should take the opportunity to quit smoking as well. Quit on Dec 15th and haven't really looked back.
  • goonas
    Options
    Congrats! I've told myself and my kids I will stop Feb 1.

Don't put off what you can do today till tomorrow, deadlines in life keep moving, take the bull by the horns and do it :)
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    hi goonas, I remembered your incredible achievement and I gave up a pack a day habit on 30.12.12 Ive stuck with it, the big bang for me was a family member was diagnosed with lung cancer, that made me angry and I threw them away. I guess unfortunatly it took that tragic news to change. Im done with the filthy habit, i went cold turkey, i have done it before for a few weeks or so and with useing patches or gum but this time I wanted to break free from nicotine. Well done to you and all who are quitting, staying quit etc xx
  • goonas
    Options
    hi goonas, I remembered your incredible achievement and I gave up a pack a day habit on 30.12.12 Ive stuck with it, the big bang for me was a family member was diagnosed with lung cancer, that made me angry and I threw them away. I guess unfortunatly it took that tragic news to change.

Out of the tragic news can come some good, and it has - you quitting!
    I've been through the same thing, I saw my dad die from lung cancer (from smoking)
  • shirleycooke35
    Options
    I never smoked! Always said I was too greedy to spend money that was just being burned - but I did have four kids to feed and clothe!!!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    that is amazing! Congratulations!!!
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    wow!!! now i know how to quit my fast food habit! That rocks! Congrats!
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Keep up the good work. It's not easy but definitely can be done. I quite smoking over 6 years ago now after smoking for 33 years. I can't believe I was ever a smoker. Seems so remote and far away from how I am now. Can't believe I ever smoked! All I can say is that it is worth it!!! I've never felt better and I know that's a big part of the reason. I did gain about 40 pounds but I had a lot of other stuff going on...my husband passed away and then I shattered my ankle and was bed-ridden for several months. But I'm down 35 pounds and have about 15 to go, so life is getting better and better! :smile:
  • goonas
    Options
    I've now been clean for over 1 year and 7 weeks !!

And have just signed up to 3 bike rides (100km, 50km and 90km) respectively - this wouldn't have been possible for me without quitting the cigarettes.

Good luck to all that are trying to quit or planning on doing so.

And I am now £3,000 richer thanks to kicking the habit!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration!!!! I wish you succes in your rides.:wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!