Too Tired To Exercise Most Days.

Options

Replies

• dcat4563
    dcat4563 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I found that not going home after work, and going straight to the gym gives me the best results. It is great getting home and being done. I don't feel guilty for sitting around watching TV then.

THIS^
    I change at work and go to my Zumba class. I am the same way - if i go home and sit down i don't want to get back up, so I do everything I need to do before I sit down. Workout, cook dinner, help with homework, etc. before I rest or I don't even think about it again!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym at 5am in the morning. Shower and head to work and am at my desk at work by 7am and I don't get home at 6:30pm. Every day except Friday I am home by 4:30pm (SWEET!)

My suggestion is don't think about it, once you are home change in to your workout clothes. That is THE biggest step. Once you've changed just move out the door. It sucks but it works, I promise.

Good luck!
  • mandorla
    mandorla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother to read through the responses, so maybe someone has already said what I'm about to.

I work leave the house at 5.45AM and get home at about 5PM. I call myself lazy because I refuse to get up early to work out. I also have the same problem of getting home and not wanting to do anything at all.

I walk during lunch and breaks and have a ton more energy now.

You could also think about going strait to the gym, not going home first.

Good luck.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    At first I forced myself to get up early for exercise. I did little tricks like watching TV shows and movies on Netflix while doing the elliptical. It helped.

Then I bought a bike and started biking when it got nicer outside. I found that I really enjoyed biking!

Then when the weather was getting colder again, I joined a gym and started strength training. Turns out, I love it! I found that I like working out after work best and go to a gym close to work. It also makes my commute home faster (less traffic). This has turned into a habit that I truly enjoy!

I listen to health and fitness podcasts while at work to keep me motivated and learning new things. I research different workout routines to keep my gym workouts fun and interesting.

So force yourself to get some exercise at first, but hopefully you will find something that you really do enjoy. Good luck!
  • klamarius
    Options
    The one thing that has worked for me is to just get my workout out of the way first thing! I have 3 kids and let me tell you, they take all of my energy! After a long day with them, if I have put my workout off until later on when they are in bed, I just don't do it. I'm way too tired and lazy. But if I get up early in the morning, get it out of the way (I am doing couch to 5k), the rest of my day is SO much better. But... you do get up awfully early.. I agree with what another poster said - come home from work, take a 1/2 hour nap, then get up and DO YOUR WORKOUT!! :happy: You will feel so much better and have much more energy. Or do what everyone else has said - go straight to the gym after work, no excuses. You can do this - look how many people are behind you, supporting you!! Good luck.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I work out at 4:30 am. I find it is much easier to get it taken care of first thing than to push it to later because you can always come up with excuses after work to not do it, you then have all of this time after work to do other things, plus the gym is not very busy that time of morning. Do you have room/money to get some equipment for your house? Then it's right there and you don't have to travel to get to it, or blame weather if your thing is running/biking outside.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't sit down when you get home. Change clothes and go work out. Better yet, take your clothes to work and change there. Then just stop by the gym or a local track before you ever get home. Feel free to hit the couch when you get home after that........
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    And Eat Some Protein/Small Snack For Some Energy To Get The Workout Started.

You still haven't said how many calories you're eating and if it's at your TDEE maintenance level or if you're trying one those 1200 calorie diets. Eating "some protein" or a "small snack" isn't going to give your body the nutrition it needs. How are you going to be healthy if you're starving your body? It's like trying to cook a meal on an electric stove during a brown out....

I Just Started Eating Better (Less Than A Week) And Basically Followed The Suggestion Of MFP To Have 1,200 Calories For My Weight Loss Goal... But Clearly It Seems That It May Not Be Enough And Can Be A Reason As To Why I'm So Tired And Have Little To No Energy At 3pm.

Please read this. It has great information on setting reasonable calorie goals. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

I think setting your MFP to lose 2lbs/week is too aggressive. My advice is honestly to eat more (more healthy things, of course). You will feel less sluggish in the afternoon. If your ticker says you have a goal of 75lbs to lose, then you can definitely eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight. 1200 calories is not enough to fuel your daily body functions, let alone exercise.

I eat about 1600 calories/day and have lost 33 pounds since May.
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Apples are supposed to give you energy, plus they are delicious and in season. Eat one! Just don't dip it in caramel and chocolate sprinkles.

Also, I find having my work out clothes in my bag the night before works for me. No matter how tired I am, if the workout clothes make it to the car in the morning, I make it to the gym on my lunch break, no excuses.
  • sedonaluvsher
    sedonaluvsher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bring your workout clothes with you every day. Change at the gym. Workout immediately after work, don't even let yourself go home. It's amazing how much energy you'll have for the rest of the evening.

This is exactly what I do. I work the same hours. 6 am to 3pm, I bring my clothes in my gym bag and go to the gym right afterwards. Once you start getting into the habit of going, its not that big of a deal anymore. Now I feel weird if I DON'T workout. Its weird how the body works. Try it one day. then Keep doing it, it will pay off :) Maybe you can also incorperate resistance training in addition to cardio as well. Thats whats given me the best results. :] Hope this helps! Good luck!!
  • krb67MI
    Options
    I only read a couple of pages of posts; man you got a lot of replies! A lot of advice. Is it falling on listening ears? If it is, you'll get to the gym without giving yourself the "tired" excuse. It boils down to this: If you want something bad enough, you'll do it. If you're happy the way you are, you'll sit on the couch after work for hours and waste the daylight hours you have available to you.

If you're not motivated enough to get to the gym, or just go for a walk, sign up for a class (pay in advance for a month) and see if a friend or two will join you, or make friends with someone in the same class. If you have a workout buddy, or meet a workout buddy in class, you have someone else to help hold you accountable.

The thing is, you'll get the results you strive for. If you're not striving; you'll get no results, or you'll gain weight and get even more tired. It's up to YOU and YOU alone!

Make it a goal to not sit down at home until you've worked out for an hour. CANNOT SIT DOWN AT HOME UNTIL YOU'VE WORKED OUT FOR 60 MINUTES! You're going to have to do something, it might as well be something active and good for you. ;-)

Have fun and enjoy it too! Keep me posted on your decisions daily if you'd like. I'll be proud of your accomplishments. :-)

KimB
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I Want To Exercise, I Really Do, But I Am Almost ALWAYS Too Tired After Work To Bother. :frown: (Maybe I'm Lazy, But I Swear I'm Tired). I Don't Know How To Get An Energy Boost To Try And Hit The Gym For An Hour A Day... I Get Home And All I Want To Do Is Lay Down And Rest. :yawn: Then That Turns Into Watching TV And Not Bothering To Get Up Anymore. :grumble: I Start Work At 6am And Am Home By 3pm So I Have The Whole Afternoon To Exercise... I Just Can't.

Any Suggestions, Ideas Or Energy Foods/Drinks I Can Try To Get The Ball Rolling? :embarassed:

Any Help Is Appreciated.

Thank You! :glasses:

I have had this problem, but mine is actually mental and emotional stress making it hard to even get out of bed some days.

Vitamin B helps me, when I have it. I can't have caffeine so it helps. (http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200304/vitamin-b-key-energy) I like the liquid/sublingual stuff.

My hubby loves v8 fusions new energy drinks, with green tea, and of coarse 5 hour energies. He has often times a 16 hour work day. Helps him get through it. He also likes the b vitas.

oh and I hear drinking water helps.

Though, on really stressful days, esp after bad nights sleep, i am almost unfixable.

liquid vita b complex
    http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-b-complex-liquid
  • rachgleeson
    rachgleeson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find doing it first thing in the morning is best, i get my kids off to school, then get on the tradmill while watching telly. If i dont do it before evening time, i find i just dont want to. I am sure you will find a way to fit it in and you will feel so much better for it. Let us know how you get on :smile:
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling well - I am always exhausted after work...then making dinner and sometimes having to shop for groceries first. I was always making excuses or just saying - I'm too tired. But I have found, even when it's painful to even think of dragging myself to the gym - If I go, I actually feel better. Like last night... I crawled off the couch at 8PM and went to workout for an hour. I left feeling energized and good about myself. Even when you're really tired, it all comes down to motivation. If you really want to get healthy, you'll make it part of your routine, no matter what.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I haven't slept through the night more than 7 times in the past year do to a crabby baby. I go to bed around 11, asleep by 12, up at least once and sometimes twice at night. I am up for the day at 6, work till 5, come home and take care of a 1 and 2 year old till 8:30. I still find time to work out 4-5 days a week. I will admit there are times I am too tired... but that is usually when I have only gotten maybe 4 hours of sleep at night and not all at once... but other than that I try to make it a priority.

Sometimes I get a workout in during lunch, or right after work before my kids get home... or if I am desperate I get a work out to a video in at home at 8:30.....

I say, if your will power is poor, go to the gym straight from work and go to a class. Once you have been doing it for awhile, you will realize how much better you feel.
  • Kismet_35
    Kismet_35 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was too tired to exercise too. I work 4 days a week, 10 hour days, and have a 3 hour commute every day. I started getting up at 2:30am and working out for 20 minutes. It was tough at first but I knew that if I exercised in the morning if I was too tired after work at least I got something in. This last May I decided to add running so I run 3 days a week (sun, wed, fri) and then I decided I need to add strength training so I added that (tues & thurs). I also belly dance when I find the time. I am tired all the time. I go to bed at 8:30 BUT I know that it's what I have to do if I want to be fit. Eventually I might stop the 2:30am workouts but not until I have reached my goal weight. The motivation is in doing it, it's in knowing that you are doing the right thing, and that your body will change and love you for it!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Put a treadmill in front of the tv...that is how I got into exercise in the first place. I then gathered more energy and now go to a gym. I know how you feel.
  • ceejay1982
    Options
    The hardest part about going to the gym is actually finding the motivation to go there. Book into classes or get a gym buddy so U go because U dont want to let your partner down! Works a treat for me. Chin up :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I Want To Exercise, I Really Do

no you don't

If I Didn't Why Would I Be Here Asking For My Pals To Help Me With Suggestions? I Don't See How You Answered Anything. Please Make Yourself Useful And Go Away. Thanks.

prove me wrong. it is currently 3pm in california. go work out. make me look like an @$$h0le.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Damn, I wish I was done with work by three. That would leave plenty of time for a nice afternoon bike ride...especially with the days getting so short and then Daylight Saving will end in November, which means it will be dark by the time I get off work. Either get up an hour earlier and go exercise before work or suck it up and just do it when you get home. Chances are exercise will give you the boost in energy to keep exercising. Don't even go home. Pack your gym shorts and t-shirt or whatever and go right after you get done with work. That way you can't get home and find an excuse to not leave the house again.