Fat Kid turned Trainer, looking to help!

Options
123457»

Replies

• kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'll do my best to keep active here, but I want to tell you about a new venue for Q&As!

I get a lot of the same questions over n over, so I started a youtube channel where I'll be posting answer videos for any and all of your questions! That way, more people will be able to find them and make use of them. Check it out, subscribe, and drop a comment if you've got any questions!

www.youtube.com/user/KentMcCannFitness
  • kentmac
    Options
    Hi,

I am hoping you are still doing this.

My question is, How do you know when you are starting to build muscle?

My reason is that I have gained, only a little, weight in October when I have behaved in my eating (mostly) and have exercised more.
    CW. 135, current loss 13lb, height 5'4.5. ideal weight around 126lb. I am noticing inch loss, be it slowly.

Thank you

The best ways to tell if you're gaining muscle are a) you're getting stronger and b) your measurements are trending downward. If both of those are happening, don't worry what the scale is saying... it's lying to ya :-P
  • kentmac
    Options
    Kent -

I just came across this comment on an exercise forum - is this true?

When using low weights, hi reps, you increase muscle capillarization - meaning oxygen & nutrients get delivered deeper into the muscle. So when you go back to heavier lifting, your muscles will respond better & repair faster.

Yeah, that's essentially the "pump" that you get during higher repetition weight lifting. In terms of improving recovery, however, I would save this kind of activity for off days, not for during a heavy workout (which accomplish this as well, and the added training would be more of a stressor than a recovery aid.)

For example, if I'm feeling energetic on an off day and want to get to the gym, I'll go row for 30 minutes to get the blood flowing and assist in recovery, and then follow that up with a flexibility/mobility session.

-K
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm a 6'2.5" male and I weigh 210 currently. What amount of calories should I be netting if I want to get down to 185? Mfp say 1760, but I second guess everything, so a little feedback would be great. Thanks!