Should I stop?

Options

Replies

• crystelnicole
    Options
    Are you still throwing up water? Are you able to keep anything down? You might be very dehydrated. If you can't keep anything down, including water, please go seek medical attention quickly. Get yourself hydrated.

Not today but yesterday (3 times), yes.
  • joramaker
    joramaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Agree!!
    You are not eating enough. You need at least 1200 cals a day plus what you're burning with exercise.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the tests, and seeing the doctor... and everything. I hope you do well... and please stay healthy. Your health is extremely important -- especially if you are pregnant. You need to stay healthy for your child... before and after he/she is born (if you are pregnant -- which it sounds like you may be). Either way... you still need to stay healthy. I'm sure there are many people on MFP that would be willing to help.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You need medical attention.

??

1. Exercise extensively
    2. Eating very little
    3. Become nauseous from trying to eat more

These are bad individually. They are incredibly bad combined.

This could be a eating disorder
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    Good luck with the tests, and seeing the doctor... and everything. I hope you do well... and please stay healthy. Your health is extremely important -- especially if you are pregnant. You need to stay healthy for your child... before and after he/she is born (if you are pregnant -- which it sounds like you may be). Either way... you still need to stay healthy. I'm sure there are many people on MFP that would be willing to help.

You're really nice. Thanks a lot! xx
  • AmberJo1984
    Options

You're really nice. Thanks a lot! xx

You're more than welcome. I just hate to see anyone hurting.
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    You need medical attention.

??

1. Exercise extensively
    2. Eating very little
    3. Become nauseous from trying to eat more

These are bad individually. They are incredibly bad combined.

This could be a eating disorder

I am professionally diagnosticated with nervous depression and pocrescophobia, I have to admit it's kinda hard for me to mind myself to gain again with all the progress I did...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I used to never feel like I was starving myself... it's been 2 weeks now that I have that feeling.
    I don't eat a lot but gain weight... I don't understand.

People with eating disorders typically do not feel like they are starving themselves, that's a major component of the "disorder" part.

You are probably gaining due to excessive hormonal imbalances due to eating little and exercising a lot. It is causing extreme stress on your body. Stress can also eliminate apatite.

So... Should I stop burning that much (maybe like only 300 per day) and eating more for a few weeks to see any results?

Yes. Plus... how tall are you? According to your profile, you probably weigh too little already.

I am 5'2.

You should weigh no less than 105... and probably closer to 130. Anywhere between that range. It may take a while, even after changing, to see results... at least now. Your body is not going to trust the food you are feeding yourself for a while, until it starts getting comfortable with what you need to start eating.

130lbs is too heavy for an 18 yo girl who is 5'2"...just saying. Prolly between 110 and 120 would be about right.

OP, I didn't look at your diary, but I would say you are really eating far too few calories. I would stay active, but you need to eat at least 1800 a day. And I would definatley make it as healthy and clean as you can. I also think it would be a good idea to see your doctor, there could be other things going on...I know I was diagnosed with my hypothyroid condition when I was 20yo...so there could be something else going on with the dizziness and nausea.

I am 5'2" and 130 pounds right now and I am not toooo heavy. I feel just right. :)

I def agree that you should be anywhere between 110-130 pounds if you want to be healthy. Eat more and once your body adapts to you feeding it your body will start working like it should. You can do it!

I, too, am in disagreement with the person who said that 130 is too heavy for 5'2. It might be at the upper end of the MFP range, but going by my range, the upper end is healthiest for me. I'm 5'6 and my range is around 114-150. 114 is ridiculously low and it's not like I have a large build. I saw my mom at 117 and she looked close to death (and she actually was due to illness and dieting). At 150 I would be a size 10; how is that "too big"? So, I'm guessing that 130 on 5'2 would be similar to 150 for 5'6. I think there are just too many of us who have been misinformed (brainwashed) about what is healthy and attractive. We're still constantly bombarded with images of size 0 models and actresses....
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    I used to never feel like I was starving myself... it's been 2 weeks now that I have that feeling.

People with eating disorders typically do not feel like they are starving themselves, that's a major component of the "disorder" part.

You are probably gaining due to excessive hormonal imbalances due to eating little and exercising a lot. It is causing extreme stress on your body. Stress can also eliminate apatite.

So... Should I stop burning that much (maybe like only 300 per day) and eating more for a few weeks to see any results?

Yes. Plus... how tall are you? According to your profile, you probably weigh too little already.

I am 5'2.

You should weigh no less than 105... and probably closer to 130. Anywhere between that range. It may take a while, even after changing, to see results... at least now. Your body is not going to trust the food you are feeding yourself for a while, until it starts getting comfortable with what you need to start eating.

130lbs is too heavy for an 18 yo girl who is 5'2"...just saying. Prolly between 110 and 120 would be about right.

OP, I didn't look at your diary, but I would say you are really eating far too few calories. I would stay active, but you need to eat at least 1800 a day. And I would definatley make it as healthy and clean as you can. I also think it would be a good idea to see your doctor, there could be other things going on...I know I was diagnosed with my hypothyroid condition when I was 20yo...so there could be something else going on with the dizziness and nausea.

I am 5'2" and 130 pounds right now and I am not toooo heavy. I feel just right. :)

I def agree that you should be anywhere between 110-130 pounds if you want to be healthy. Eat more and once your body adapts to you feeding it your body will start working like it should. You can do it!

I, too, am in disagreement with the person who said that 130 is too heavy for 5'2. It might be at the upper end of the MFP range, but going by my range, the upper end is healthiest for me. I'm 5'6 and my range is around 114-150. 114 is ridiculously low and it's not like I have a large build. I saw my mom at 117 and she looked close to death (and she actually was due to illness and dieting). At 150 I would be a size 10; how is that "too big"? So, I'm guessing that 130 on 5'2 would be similar to 150 for 5'6. I think there are just too many of us who have been misinformed (brainwashed) about what is healthy and attractive. We're still constantly bombarded with images of size 0 models and actresses....

I CAN'T definitely see myself at 130lbs again but I wasn't chubby when I was at that weight!! It goes with the person's frame too!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It is understandable that you are anxious about gaining back since you lost so much. Knowing that you struggle with it and asking questions is a good thing because you aren't in denial. I talked to a friend of mine before posting who is your height to see what she weighed as a point of reference both now and at your age. At over 40 she is 125, and she's muscular and fit but by no means underweight. At 18 she was 105 to 110. So while I would agree that you are underweight, I highly doubt going up to 130 is necessary.

Just remember that in the same way it was probably a struggle to lose, it will be a struggle to gain some and find your balance. Have confidence in yourself that you will get there. I am not a believer that 1200 calories is the absolute minimum regardless of age, weight, frame, etc. There is more to it than what a website program spits out as gospel for everyone. That said, whether ill, pregnant, or not, you will still need to gain, and that requires you to eat more.

You know what plan of action helped you to get where you are in terms of loss, I.e. short term goals, eating slightly less, working out a bit more, or whatever it was... So maybe try to develop something similar in reverse. Your gains don't have to happen overnight. If you're only eating 700 to 1200 now, try upping that to 800 to 1300 this week, then 900 to 1400 next week. Make small changes like swapping out non-fat "X" for full fat. Add a protein smoothie every couple days. Instead of jogging, just walk and then do some strength training so that you build or tone muscle while you increase.

And just as important as your physical health, is your mental health. Do something every day that makes you feel good about yourself. You're a beautiful girl with unlimited possibilities.
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    It is understandable that you are anxious about gaining back since you lost so much. Knowing that you struggle with it and asking questions is a good thing because you aren't in denial. I talked to a friend of mine before posting who is your height to see what she weighed as a point of reference both now and at your age. At over 40 she is 125, and she's muscular and fit but by no means underweight. At 18 she was 105 to 110. So while I would agree that you are underweight, I highly doubt going up to 130 is necessary.

Just remember that in the same way it was probably a struggle to lose, it will be a struggle to gain some and find your balance. Have confidence in yourself that you will get there. I am not a believer that 1200 calories is the absolute minimum regardless of age, weight, frame, etc. There is more to it than what a website program spits out as gospel for everyone. That said, whether ill, pregnant, or not, you will still need to gain, and that requires you to eat more.

You know what plan of action helped you to get where you are in terms of loss, I.e. short term goals, eating slightly less, working out a bit more, or whatever it was... So maybe try to develop something similar in reverse. Your gains don't have to happen overnight. If you're only eating 700 to 1200 now, try upping that to 800 to 1300 this week, then 900 to 1400 next week. Make small changes like swapping out non-fat "X" for full fat. Add a protein smoothie every couple days. Instead of jogging, just walk and then do some strength training so that you build or tone muscle while you increase.

And just as important as your physical health, is your mental health. Do something every day that makes you feel good about yourself. You're a beautiful girl with unlimited possibilities.

Aww! That's so nice of you!
    I'll try my best, thanks a lot :) xx
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Im gonna be blunt because thats how i am take it how you will.

Your killing yourself plain and simple...You arent eating enough, doing to much cardio....and worst on a diet or food avoidance that will cause major health issues.

My honest opinion see a DOCTOR ASAP......If not admit yourself to somewhere at 95lbs your already close to danger, one day your dizzy spell may happen while driving or you may just have your body shut down and die.

I understand this is a mental dissorder and stuff but from the bottom of my heart please get help, your a beautiful girl so get help and stay around for a while
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Please listen to all the great advice. I wish you health and happiness, please eat more and exercise less so you can be the best you can be! I'm the same height as you and I'm aiming for 114lbs.

I very much doubt you are pregnant because you are so underweight but of course you should still get it checked while you are at the doctor. Take care.
  • AmberJo1984
    Options
    I just have to say... I appreciate all of the blunt, but caring advice the OP is getting. Even though I've had great success with MFP so far... I've also seen so many threads on MFP that I hate (constantly belitteling people for bad habits or differences in opinions. The OP is lucky to have had so many people be honest and caring with her. Just my opinion. I pray she takes the advice given to her.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy to see you have a doctor's appointment. No matter what the cause, your symptoms are worrisome and should be looked at.
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    I'm really happy to see you have a doctor's appointment. No matter what the cause, your symptoms are worrisome and should be looked at.

I have one every three months :)
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    Please listen to all the great advice. I wish you health and happiness, please eat more and exercise less so you can be the best you can be! I'm the same height as you and I'm aiming for 114lbs.

I very much doubt you are pregnant because you are so underweight but of course you should still get it checked while you are at the doctor. Take care.

Thanks xx
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    Im gonna be blunt because thats how i am take it how you will.

Your killing yourself plain and simple...You arent eating enough, doing to much cardio....and worst on a diet or food avoidance that will cause major health issues.

My honest opinion see a DOCTOR ASAP......If not admit yourself to somewhere at 95lbs your already close to danger, one day your dizzy spell may happen while driving or you may just have your body shut down and die.

I understand this is a mental dissorder and stuff but from the bottom of my heart please get help, your a beautiful girl so get help and stay around for a while

It's so hard... I have to win over those phobias. Thanks!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

I am 5'2.

No disrespect ladies...but I'm factoring in her age too. I'm not 18, not by a long shot, medium boned and 5'1" and 125lbs is where I'm at right now...and it is heavy for me. An 18 yo is going to naturally be lighter than an adult. That is my main point.

OP, hypothyroidism can be difficult to manage mainly because a lab will tell you your tsh is normal if it falls in a range of .5 to 7.5 I have to keep my below 1 in order to function, and around .5 is the best. Some doctors just don't get that. So I would find out what your TSH actually was and go from there. I hope you are feeling better.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    EAT