No spotter?

Options
What do folks do when they don't have a spotter? I want to go up in weight in alot of excercises but am afraid I will hurt myself or just look like a fool without a spotter. Thoughts?

- JoAnna

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    When i dont have a spotter i dont lift heavy - its dangerous. If my friend cant make it to the gym i just do more reps on a comfortable weight.

Or you could use the machines instead. They're ok if you dont have a friend with you.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    For most exercises, I don't worry about not having a spotter. The safety bars in the squat rack for example, I adjust so that I only have about 2 inches below the bottom of my full range of motion before them. Deadlifts again aren't an issue, I reinforce proper form on my warm-up sets, and if form is wonky that day, I skip them. Shoulder press I work with dumbells, so if I fail, I drop them to the side. Only for chestpress, and only when I'm working close to my 3 rep max do I grab a spot - all the regulars at my gym are awesome, and if I needed, I could grab a quick spot from one of the trainers.
  • jayhoang
    Options
    People at the gym are usually pretty good with helping out.
    If I look around and I see someone I usually see around all the time, I'll ask for a quick spot and they are generally quite happy to oblige.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If I look around and I see someone I usually see around all the time, I'll ask for a quick spot and they are generally quite happy to oblige.

This. Gym staff will also always help.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    For what lifts? Can you use a power rack with safety pins\bars?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

This.

Although I don't use a spotter for anything. My bench is still in the range where I can roll-of-shame.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Bench is the only one I worry about having a spotter. Everything else is easy enough to bail on if I need to. I work out at home so I only go up to new weights on bench when someone is there to spot me.
  • jayhoang
    Options

This.

Although I don't use a spotter for anything. My bench is still in the range where I can roll-of-shame.

You should give it a try! I found that having a spotter helps breaks plateaus. Especially on the bench.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My bench is still in the range where I can roll-of-shame.

^ LOL, love it.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    +1 more to this

I only use a spotter for benching though. The squat rack is perfectly safe to use alone, and deadlifts are easy to bail out on without injury if you need.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I suggest power rack, with safety pins
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i just ask anyone...even people i never even seen before in the gym ahaha
    i have yet to meet someone who says NO
  • wellbert
    Options

This.

You should give it a try! I found that having a spotter helps breaks plateaus. Especially on the bench.

Yeah, I need a workout buddy. All the bros at my gym insist on touching the bar.
    Someone touches the bar = rep doesn't count.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

This.

I did this last week :sad:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

This.

I don't put the collars on for bench. I've not had to for a long time (due to rep range selection) but the whole gym will know if I've put too much on, and then tried the last rep regardless.
  • wellbert
    Options

This.

I don't put the collars on for bench. I've not had to for a long time (due to rep range selection) but the whole gym will know if I've put too much on, and then tried the last rep regardless.

Hahahaha. Awesome.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I've always just used the machines at gyms (even though I know they aren't as effective) because I've never had a spotter. I took two years of weight training in high school and it was drilled into us to never use free weights without a spotter. I guess something from high school stuck... ;)

And I never thought to ask random people at the gym. I am anti-social at the gym.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

This is what I do. But it's only on the bench. However, just having someone stand there provides a ton of confidence.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Options:
    Use a power cage or squat rack.
    Get bumper plates so you can drop the bar if needed.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

This.

Yeah, I need a workout buddy. All the bros at my gym insist on touching the bar.
    Someone touches the bar = rep doesn't count.

Right!!! I've always wondered why it becomes easier when someone has like 2 fingers on the bar :laugh: