No spotter?

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    When i dont have a spotter i dont lift heavy - its dangerous. If my friend cant make it to the gym i just do more reps on a comfortable weight.

This.

When I was working out by myself I didn't lift as heavy as I could because I never had a spotter because there was never any one in the fitness center to spot me. On the off chance that I did have someone spot me I stopped because I didn't trust the guy. He'd always be talking to someone while I'm struggling with my bench press.

I now have been going to the gym with my husband for a few years now and he spots me and pushes me. I would never be able to lift the amount of weight that I do now without him.

If you're going to lift heavy just ask someone at the gym to spot you. People do it all the time and they are more than happy to oblige.
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I workout with dumbbells so I don't have to have a spotter, I have no need for a dudes balls to be hanging over my head like the Sword of Damocles.
    I think my injuries would be much more severe from me dodging some dudes ball sweat and dropping a bar on my chest than simply letting a couple of dumbbells fall off to the side.

But maybe that's just me...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    For what lifts? Can you use a power rack with safety pins\bars?

This.

Although I don't use a spotter for anything. My bench is still in the range where I can roll-of-shame.

You should give it a try! I found that having a spotter helps breaks plateaus. Especially on the bench.

Yeah, I need a workout buddy. All the bros at my gym insist on touching the bar.
    Someone touches the bar = rep doesn't count.

Right!!! I've always wondered why it becomes easier when someone has like 2 fingers on the bar :laugh:

What about when the bros need a spot from me? I'm only there to stop you hurting yourself. I'm not sure if I'm being cruel or kind. They usually blurt something out to ask for assistance several seconds before I'd call it a failed attempt.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've never had a spotter. I should probably have one, though. But, I also just use the weight machines instead of free weights. I only use 10 to 20 pound free weights.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Biggest excercise that I love but need a spotter as sometimes I get off balance, step ups. Alternatives? Thoughts. Im up to 110lb with no spotter but that is 3x10. I want to go up in weight but sometimes at that top of the step is when I get off balance. Falling off the box to the side would suck! Usually the husband is there but he is shipping to BCT and I wont have him around.

- JoAnna
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Everyone loves a travelling lunge.
  • baxgilter
    Options
    Everyone loves a travelling lunge.

Will that do the same as step ups?
  • jayhoang
    Options
    Biggest excercise that I love but need a spotter as sometimes I get off balance, step ups. Alternatives? Thoughts. Im up to 110lb with no spotter but that is 3x10. I want to go up in weight but sometimes at that top of the step is when I get off balance. Falling off the box to the side would suck! Usually the husband is there but he is shipping to BCT and I wont have him around.

- JoAnna

The one legged smith machine squat is excellent and I prefer this to step ups for hitting your hams, glutes and thighs.

You don't need a spotter because it's on the smith machine and you are able to progressively add more weight to it than you would holding dumb bells during step ups as you get better. It's closer to a compound exercise than the step ups because it requires a little more core. Even doing the bar alone with no weight is beneficial.

smith-machine-strength-machines.jpg
  • baxgilter
    Options
    [/quote]

The one legged smith machine squat is excellent and I prefer this to step ups for hitting your hams, glutes and thighs.

You don't need a spotter because it's on the smith machine and you are able to progressively add more weight to it than you would holding dumb bells during step ups as you get better. It's closer to a compound exercise than the step ups because it requires a little more core. Even doing the bar alone with no weight is beneficial.

[/quote]

Ive been doing the step ups with a bar, I can't hang onto the dumbbells at the weight I am capable of stepping up with. Still the same advice?
  • IronSmasher
    Options

[/quote]

Ive been doing the step ups with a bar, I can't hang onto the dumbbells at the weight I am capable of stepping up with. Still the same advice?
    [/quote]

I would never recommend anyone does this, and I can't believe there are still people that advocate using smith machines for these types of exercise.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

- JoAnna

Smith machines take stabilizers out of the equation. The range of motion is unnatural. NOT recommended
  • baxgilter
    Options

- JoAnna

Smith machines take stabilizers out of the equation. The range of motion is unnatural. NOT recommended

I was thinking the same thing. I hate the Smith machine. But I still need alternatives?
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

- JoAnna

I was thinking the same thing. I hate the Smith machine. But I still need alternatives?

I do barbell lunges in the squat rack.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I workout with dumbbells so I don't have to have a spotter, I have no need for a dudes balls to be hanging over my head like the Sword of Damocles.
    I think my injuries would be much more severe from me dodging some dudes ball sweat and dropping a bar on my chest than simply letting a couple of dumbbells fall off to the side.

But maybe that's just me...
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I ask 2-3 guys to spot me on squats all the time, and I'm about as shy as they come.

I never hesitate to ask for a spot on bench if I need it as well.

Everything else I do a spotter is unnecessary.
  • My_Own_Hero
    Options
    I usually only do dumbbell bench presses for two reasons: 1. It's better for my shoulders and 2. I don't have to worry about having a spotter; if I get stuck, I could just drop the weights. Perhaps you could use dumbells for squats and other exercises if you don't have someone to spot you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    For everyone that works out in a gym: If you need a spotter, EVERYONE around you is your potential spotter. All you have to do is ask. In 20 years, only one person has ever told me no.

For the OP: If step ups are the main thing you want a spotter for, just switch to walking lunges. It will be similar and you won't need a spot. Also, IMHO, spotters are only there for peace of mind on step ups. You're too high and the center of gravity is much too high for a spotter to do very much.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Ask for a spotter if you're in the gym.
    if not, have a power rack, or find a workout partner.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I've only ever needed a spotter for bench press. How do you even spot someone on squats??
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I've only ever needed a spotter for bench press. How do you even spot someone on squats??

two ways.

safe: One person on each side, ready to catch the barbell in the crook of their elbow AT THE SAME TIME.

Solo: Other person basically spooning you, ready to do a zirchir squat.

Yeah...