No spotter?

Options

Replies

• Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I use the power rack and dead lift rack. I've gotten stuck a couple times on bench and was forced to do the roll-of-shame... nobody noticed... not even the dude on the bench next to me. Now, I've learned how it feels when I won't be able to get that last rep out and will stop before getting stuck. I've never felt comfortable asking for a spot... I am not a fan of the smith machine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    two ways.
    safe: One person on each side, ready to catch the barbell, and a person behind you
    Solo: Other person basically spooning you, ready to do a zirchir squat.

fixed. 3+ makes the best spot IMO
    when we have two guys, we actually go the route of having someone spot from behind in the zercher fashion.
    I got pinned under 385 a few weeks back and my back spotter was able to safely get me back to the j-hooks.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I use the power rack and dead lift rack. I've gotten stuck a couple times on bench and was forced to do the roll-of-shame... nobody noticed... not even the dude on the bench next to me. Now, I've learned how it feels when I won't be able to get that last rep out and will stop before getting stuck. I've never felt comfortable asking for a spot... I am not a fan of the smith machine.

deadlift rack??
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What do folks do when they don't have a spotter? I want to go up in weight in alot of excercises but am afraid I will hurt myself or just look like a fool without a spotter. Thoughts?

- JoAnna

If you don't have a spotter, you need to be in a cage with safety bars so you can safely get out from under the weight.
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options

deadlift rack??

Rackpull rack?
    Shrug rack?
    OHP rack?

Everybody's got their own dang rack these days!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Rackpull rack?
    Shrug rack?
    OHP rack?

dont forget the most important, the curl rack.
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options
    Biggest excercise that I love but need a spotter as sometimes I get off balance, step ups. Alternatives? Thoughts. Im up to 110lb with no spotter but that is 3x10. I want to go up in weight but sometimes at that top of the step is when I get off balance. Falling off the box to the side would suck! Usually the husband is there but he is shipping to BCT and I wont have him around.

- JoAnna

If you're trying to go up in weight on step-ups, it's time to step up (see what I did there???) to just plain old full-range barbell squats. If you dig the single leg, do Bulgarian split squats, too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've only ever needed a spotter for bench press. How do you even spot someone on squats??

two ways.

safe: One person on each side, ready to catch the barbell in the crook of their elbow AT THE SAME TIME.

Solo: Other person basically spooning you, ready to do a zirchir squat.

Yeah...

Spooning? LOL!!! You make it sound so intimate. I hope there's not too much grunting. But yeah, you do get pretty up close and personal. But I prefer the spooning that takes place during spotted squats to the sack-meets-face that accompanies way too many spotted benches.

Hey buddy, I appreciate the help but could you take a step or two back until I'm actually struggling with the weight? And for Pete's sake, can you start wearing compression shorts?
  • DavPul
    Options

deadlift rack??

They misspoke. They meant the Curling Station. Sometimes inconsiderate people use that spot for squats or deadlifts
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    ^^Nothing is worse than taking a handoff from a training partner who didn't wear clean shorts.

I managed to drip some nutsack sweat on a partner one day while giving him a liftoff for floor presses. He said he watched it come out of my shorts. hahahaha
  • DavPul
    Options
    ^^Nothing is worse than taking a handoff from a training partner who didn't wear clean shorts.

I managed to drip some nutsack sweat on a partner one day while giving him a liftoff for floor presses. He said he watched it come out of my shorts. hahahaha

I'm disgusted as hell and crying laughing at the same time!!! I think I would have had to punch you for that one!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

That is disturbing & hilarious at the same time
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What do folks do when they don't have a spotter? I want to go up in weight in alot of excercises but am afraid I will hurt myself or just look like a fool without a spotter. Thoughts?

- JoAnna

If you don't have a spotter, you need to be in a cage with safety bars so you can safely get out from under the weight.

What does this look like?
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options
    http://tinyurl.com/9tqz49m

The power rack should have holes all the way down so you can insert safety bars (sometimes called "pins").
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i just ask anyone...even people i never even seen before in the gym ahaha
    i have yet to meet someone who says NO

This^^ especially since your a female, I've never had anyone say no when I ask for a spot.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Ive been doing the step ups with a bar, I can't hang onto the dumbbells at the weight I am capable of stepping up with. Still the same advice?

Wrist straps for the dumbbells?
  • JasonDetwiler
    Options

Ive been doing the step ups with a bar, I can't hang onto the dumbbells at the weight I am capable of stepping up with. Still the same advice?

Wrist straps for the dumbbells?

See my previous post. There is no reason to keep pushing the weight up on step ups. There are far more effective and SAFE ways to accomplish the same thing.

You are becoming more advanced.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Probably saying what others are saying...

The only time I would use a spotter is if you're going for a true 1RM test or even a 2RM, then most definitely find somebody in the gym for a quick spot. But if you're working up to a set of 3, 4, or 5 reps then you should know where you stand after your first rep but most definitely your second rep. If you're working towards a 5RM and the 1st rep was okay, 2nd rep was tough, and if you barely get 3rd then don't try for a 4th. Deadlifting and Standing OHP you don't need a spotter for at all.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

I'm disgusted as hell and crying laughing at the same time!!! I think I would have had to punch you for that one!

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Probably saying what others are saying...

The only time I would use a spotter is if you're going for a true 1RM test or even a 2RM, then most definitely find somebody in the gym for a quick spot. But if you're working up to a set of 3, 4, or 5 reps then you should know where you stand after your first rep but most definitely your second rep. If you're working towards a 5RM and the 1st rep was okay, 2nd rep was tough, and if you barely get 3rd then don't try for a 4th. Deadlifting and Standing OHP you don't need a spotter for at all.

agreed.
    If I'm feeling a bit off on squats for the day I still get a spot for my reps, ableit a much more laid back spot.
    OHP I have actually had someone stand behind me in case I lost balance, because I get a little wobbly when I do push presses but it's only for top sets. strict pressing I wouldn't need a spotter.