**Question's Only**

Replies

• PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Well, doesn't little Mr Eric fit right in?

Doesn't he just? He was even running around here in a tutu at one point... did you see that?
    31993703 Posts: 1,144
    You ring?
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Do you know Kathy Mattea's 455 Rocket?

Would I lose my SoCo title if I didnt?

You might, so can you find it on YouTube or something?

OH OK!! Are you surprised to know that I do know that one?
  • garnetsms
    Well, doesn't little Mr Eric fit right in?

Doesn't he just? He was even running around here in a tutu at one point... did you see that?

I missed it. I wonder if he will do it again??
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    so can someone tell me what the purpose of a cool down walk is after a run?
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,468 Member
    Will this answer your question?

After any aerobic activity, the blood is pooled in the extremities, and the heartrate is elevated. The purpose of the cool-down is to bring the heartrate down to near-normal and to get the blood circulating freely back to the heart. Stopping abruptly could result in fainting or place undue stress on the heart. The cool-down should also include stretching to help relax the muscles which worked so hard during the activity. The cool-down stretches also increase flexibility, and might help to prevent DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) although this has not been proven.
  • garnetsms
    How is everyone on this fine Friday eve?
  • bigphatcat
    Will this answer your question?

After any aerobic activity, the blood is pooled in the extremities, and the heartrate is elevated. The purpose of the cool-down is to bring the heartrate down to near-normal and to get the blood circulating freely back to the heart. Stopping abruptly could result in fainting or place undue stress on the heart. The cool-down should also include stretching to help relax the muscles which worked so hard during the activity. The cool-down stretches also increase flexibility, and might help to prevent DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) although this has not been proven.

so a cool down walk should be less brisk?
  • bigphatcat
    How is everyone on this fine Friday eve?

I am great how are you SoCo?
  • garnetsms
    Would you happen to know what I did in my sleep to cause this tension in my neck??

Other than that, I am doing awesome!!
  • bigphatcat
    Would you happen to know what I did in my sleep to cause this tension in my neck??

you mean you don't remember what you did to me last night?
  • The cool down should defiantly be less brisk. Does that help?
  • DawnVanSlim
    What was your max HR on your run Nick?
  • 182. Is that a little too high?
  • garnetsms

you mean you don't remember what you did to me last night?

You know it's coming back to me now....Would anyone believe us if we told them? :wink:
  • DawnVanSlim
    182. Is that a little too high?

No, thats not bad at all for your age. I try to keep mine in the 160-170's when I run. That is the most comfortable for me. But I always get in the 180's at the very end of my run or when I am running hills. Just need to make sure I can get it back down out of the 180's after those hills or my run will be doomed. My 6 miler I was in the 160's almost the entire time and I think that is why I cleared that distance. Someday I hope to be able to run in the 150-160 for all my runs. It will improve the more you do it. I have even gotten up to 192 before when I did my sprints, but felt like I was going to pass out. It's a cool thing to be able to monitor when you run, isn't it?
  • It really is amazing to be able to monitor it! I love this little thing. I got up to 182 on the last...3 minutes of my run when I really had to push it. I'm addicted to running now! 13.1 here I come! Want to join?
  • DawnVanSlim
    It really is amazing to be able to monitor it! I love this little thing. I got up to 182 on the last...3 minutes of my run when I really had to push it. I'm addicted to running now! 13.1 here I come! Want to join?

Not sure I will ever be able to run that distance, but it is a long term dream/goal of mine. I would love to join you. Did you know my next mini goal is running a 10K come spring? I have run 6 5K races this summer, need to bump up that milage now, don't you think?
  • Absolutely! My goal is 13.1 by this time next year. My first ever 5K is Saturday after next. What is the longest you have run so far?
  • DawnVanSlim
    My longest run to date was a 10K (6.2 miles). I only did it once, ran 66 mins straight... Then I ran 5 miles the very next day and hurt my knee :sad: . Did you know I am now trying to get back to those distances but have been struggling since my down time? :grumble:

ETA : these were outdoor runs with real hills and wind, I don't count treadmill runs