Top 5 Diet Killers....the remix.

Options

Replies

• sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add "aversion to learning about nutrition" under "bogus diet" category.

Totally! Nutrition education would solve SO many issues regarding bogus diets. I wish more people would take the time to just learn the basics- like reading "Nutrition for Dummies" or similar basic book without an agenda. It's easy to separate fact from fiction with just a basic understanding of nutrition.

Yep! This helped me get my butt in gear....
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like twinkies....

In soviet mfp, twinkies like you!

Hahaha, yes!!!
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    MoreBean13, you have restored my faith in humanity!!! :flowerforyou:

Very good and commonsensical list. I have to say I agree with every single item there. Thanks, MoreBean13! And some very good responses too.

Though I understand that people have a right to ask questions, I often find myself asking 'How don't they fall over?'. I mean, honestly, I am not being funny or cruel or righteous, I am just calling it what it is.

My observations so far:

1. Common sense is not very common.

2. There is a need for MUCH better education wrt nutrition and basic human physiology in schools.

3. There is a need to review maths teaching in schools. When so many people say 'I am really bad at maths' when all they need to do is simple subtractions, something is very very wrong with the education system.

I think the way one goes about your weight loss/maintenance parallels how you go about your life in general:

Do you take responsibility for your choices or do you enjoy a victim role?
    Do you have reasonable expectations?
    Do you meaningfully monitor and reflect upon your success or lack there of and take action to problem solve?
    Are you able and prepared to critically evaluate the new information presented to you and open-minded enough to challenge your closely held beliefs that have held you back?

This applies to our work life, to our relationships and, yes, to the diet/fitness regime. Diet/fitness regime is not just calories in and out, it starts by knowing thyself. Knowing, loving and being honest with thyself.

:flowerforyou:
  • Kitty32168
    Kitty32168 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have this co-worker who eats McDonald's sausage biscuit every single morning WITH the hash browns and wonders why she's overweight and has diverticulitis. I've given her articles about healthy eating, positive motivators and continuous amateur nutritionist advise. To no avail. Now she's on a liquid diet and is marveling at how the weight is sloughing off. <sigh>

Anyway, it frustrates me. She will pick at me for spending my money on membership to the gym or healthy foods. And then that one day I eat a chicken mcnugget happy meal - she's trying to kill the spirit within. Yeah, not going to happen. I swear as I read through your list.... I thought of this woman. I think she's in my life to convince me of how awesome I am.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    1) pizza
    2) pasta
    3) candy
    4) sweetened soft drinks
    5) bread

these are all calorie budget busters. if you include them in your diet, there are consequences. so all things must be taken in moderation...

i know you didn't want a list of food items, but i find that these things are what most lead to going over one's daily calorie goals.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I must be the anti-Bean, we went from short and sweet to bloated wall of text. My bad.
    I like it. Good post. Mine probably would have been more verbose, but It started as a quick response on the other "top 5" thread, until I realized that thread was no place for good sense and pulled it out. Thanks for the addition.

And Sara's gonna love that you called her a supermodel! She is, though.

:love: you.

Ummm, Bean.........he did not say who it was....I am sure he has lots of female friends who eat ice cream every night. But thank you anyway. 23_30_126-1.gif

I think we all knew who he meant Ms. Awesome Arms!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    1) pizza
    2) pasta
    3) candy
    4) sweetened soft drinks
    5) bread

these are all calorie budget busters. if you include them in your diet, there are consequences. so all things must be taken in moderation...

i know you didn't want a list of food items, but i find that these things are what most lead to going over one's daily calorie goals.

I'm going to disagree on this point. The only thing on this list I don't consume regularly is sweetened soft drinks, and that's because I don't care for them. In fact, I often refer to pizza as my 'secret weapon' (somewhat in jest) because I always have awesome workouts post-pizza. I don't believe in demonizing food- it is like judging a puzzle by a single piece. Any of these options can be included as part of a healthy overall diet, you just have to use the rest of your calories wisely to meet your nutritional goals.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    1) pizza
    2) pasta
    3) candy
    4) sweetened soft drinks
    5) bread

I'm going to disagree on this point. The only thing on this list I don't consume regularly is sweetened soft drinks, and that's because I don't care for them. In fact, I often refer to pizza as my 'secret weapon' (somewhat in jest) because I always have awesome workouts post-pizza. I don't believe in demonizing food- it is like judging a puzzle by a single piece. Any of these options can be included as part of a healthy overall diet, you just have to use the rest of your calories wisely to meet your nutritional goals.

Werd. No orthorexia!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    1) pizza
    2) pasta
    3) candy
    4) sweetened soft drinks
    5) bread

I would have to disagree. I eat all these. There is no food off limit. Its about making it fit into my daily goals.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    1) pizza
    2) pasta
    3) candy
    4) sweetened soft drinks
    5) bread

I'm with Bean on that one. Regular soda is the only thing on that list that you won't find in my diary, but that's because it makes me feel like I have sweaters on my teeth.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    1) pizza
    2) pasta
    3) candy
    4) sweetened soft drinks
    5) bread

I would have to disagree. I eat all these. There is no food off limit. Its about making it fit into my daily goals.

i wrote "if you include them in your diet, there are consequences. so all things must be taken in moderation..."

i think these are the foods that people want more than they should ever eat. maybe ice cream should be on that list too. it's ok to think about these foods and eat them from time to time, but you can't eat them in the amounts you want to eat them. for example, on Monday i ordered pizza while watching the game. there was no way any of that large "Hawaiian BBQ Chicken" pizza was going to survive a 3 hour football game. so the next couple of days, i had to offset those extra calories by cutting back on my intake. that's the consequence. 1 day to splurge. 3 days to offset it. that's all i meant.

now, if you're in maintenance and not trying to drop fat, you could eat these items more often, but my assumption is that the people on here are mostly interested in dropping fat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    1) pizza
    2) pasta
    3) candy
    4) sweetened soft drinks
    5) bread

Quoting myself here because I thought of something I want to add. A gentleman on my FL the other day brought up 'trigger foods', meaning foods you personally avoid because you have some sort of emotional response to them that is negative, or you know you can't be controlled and will eat the food beyond your preset limits, despite your best efforts. For me these foods include double stuff oreos, nutella, York peppermint patties, and alcohol ( alcohol being slightly different, because I won't necessarily binge drink, but it allows me to rationalize other poor-decision foods.) I think it's fine to avoid your trigger foods, and shows good self control and self awareness to do so. So to the poster that compiled this list- if these are your personal triggers, go ahead and avoid (though you might want to figure out a workaround for bread). But you won't ever se me criticize someone else's diet for including York peppermint patties occasionally, because that's my problem, not one I expect others to have.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post Bean:smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1) pizza
    2) pasta
    3) candy
    4) sweetened soft drinks
    5) bread

I eat all of these, except soft drinks. I prefer beer. :smokin:

I am taking home pizza tonight and down it with beer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-jOEAufDQ4

:drinker: :drinker:
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    1) pizza
    2) pasta
    3) candy
    4) sweetened soft drinks
    5) bread

i wrote "if you include them in your diet, there are consequences. so all things must be taken in moderation..."

i think these are the foods that people want more than they should ever eat. maybe ice cream should be on that list too. it's ok to think about these foods and eat them from time to time, but you can't eat them in the amounts you want to eat them. for example, on Monday i ordered pizza while watching the game. there was no way any of that large "Hawaiian BBQ Chicken" pizza was going to survive a 3 hour football game. so the next couple of days, i had to offset those extra calories by cutting back on my intake. that's the consequence. 1 day to splurge. 3 days to offset it. that's all i meant.

now, if you're in maintenance and not trying to drop fat, you could eat these items more often, but my assumption is that the people on here are mostly interested in dropping fat.

You don't need to be in maintenance to eat these items. I have a good friend on here who eats ice cream every nite without it effecting her BF dropping. It's her secret weapon I think. I have another friend who eats half a pizza in a sitting without it effecting BF loss and I think it helps with her workouts the next day. I eat out quiet often. It doesn't effect my BF lowering. Its about making it fit into our daily goals. It's not a requirement to limit anything. If your able to make it fit into a daily calorie goal, no need to offset for 3 days later.
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Great Post. Kudos to the OP and several others!
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    great post