Anything better than Almond milk???

Options
13»

Replies

• chaosqueen01
    chaosqueen01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Really, why should I get used to something tasting like dishwater?! I think that the point is not the 2 or 3% more fat in the milk, because in 100ml 3.5% milk there are 31.5kcal from fat - and how many liters do you drink in a day? For me it is about 200ml each day in coffee, muesli etc. This makes a difference of 24kcal each day if I would use 0.5% milk instead of 1.8%. Not that much to think of it!

Maybe it is really a cultural difference, but I try to cook from fresh food as vegetables, fresh meat, potatoes, rice and pasta, I avoid using cream in sauces, I make fries in the oven (less fat, more taste!) and I eat as less convenience food as possible. The "normal" food is never the problem, but all the extras we can't stand and the fast food as burgers, hot dogs, fries, pizza (homemade is great!) and so on. And beverages as Coke, Pepsi and so on. Drink water or unsweetened tea, and you will spare a lot more calories than from switching or skipping the milk.
  • jogo8995
    jogo8995 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you who said almond milk is good. I just tried Blue Diamond unsweetened and it is great!:happy:
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking the sweetened almond milk ... you might as well drink regular milk...

Have you ever seen the sugar and carbs and added crap in the sweetened versions!!! ughh

That said I use the unsweetened coconut milk for protien shakes... but thats because I am adding fruit and protien to it so I dont need the flavor... now I dont know if I would enjoy drinking it plain...
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Try sweetened almond breeze milke-it has coconut milk in it which gives it a creamier texture.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Just drink milk.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cow milk has much better macros than most almond/soy/whatever milks. So just drink your regular cow's milk and enjoy it, especially when you said in your original post that you said you "weren't going to give up taste for calories."

You'll get way more protein, and similar fat and sugar levels in cow's milk compared to soy or almond milk.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    see if you can get raw milk in your area from a reputable farmer. Tastes great AND is nutritionally phenomenal (way better than the pasteurized junk at the store. They take out all the good stuff on those things).

Also the stuff from the store can kill you if it goes sour. Raw milk doesn't go bad. It clabbers and turns yogurty :)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving up milk? If you like milk then I say drink it. I like milk too, tried almond and soy milk and they just don't compare.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Just curious, why did you remove milk in the first place? Unless you have an allergy, sensitivity, or are a vegan or something, milk is very healthy and you can easily lose weight while still drinking it.

I personally like vanilla almond milk and soy milk. They certainly don't taste like cow milk though, and I've yet to encounter anything else that does. If you want milk, just drink milk.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    Coconut milk or try a flax milk
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was the brand? I love Silk vanilla unsweetened almond milk...but I no So Delicious has a lot of residual that makes me want to barf. I didn't like coconut milk at all and was okay with soy milk until I tried almond milk. Did you try rice milk? It gave me stomach issues, but you could try that.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened coconut milk.... then again, I don't drink it plain.... I just use it in protein shakes, and baking.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What brand did you try? I love Earths Own unsweetened almond milk but I don't just drink it plain. I put it in coffee, cereal, baking etc. If you miss milk and love it, just have it (unless its an allergy reason) :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Just drink moo-milk.