Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Report her immediately.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    After reading the responses here I am shocked, even at the OP. I fear my family being treated by an impaired medical professional and allowing a nurse to practice who goes against everything medical professionals are morally trained to be.... well... I sure hope she isn't the one dispensing the wrong drug to your family when the time comes.
  • celiason81
    celiason81 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As a retired nurse, I have seen so many nurses get hooked on drug's-especially the painkillers. Our job's a very intense physically-especially if we work in a hospital setting. But, it sounds like you say her in a clinic, or at an office.

Believe me when I say, you do not want a nurse giving you/your family/your CHILDREN/ or anyone else, when she is impaired on drugs.
    Nursing is a very detail oriented job. If she under the influence at work, and she makes a medication error-that could cost someone their life.
    We have to preform very intricate mathematical conversions at times, and those are easy to error with, even when you are just tired, much less impaired on drugs.
    Find your states BOARD of NURSING office, and REPORT HER. You have no idea of how many accident's you would prevent if you take this simple step.

She most likely will not be fired. They (The Board of Nursing) have program's for nurses who have substance abuse problems. GIVE HER A CHANCE.
    I LITERALLY BEG YOU..
    TURN HER IN, if not to the BOARD, to the Physician she is working under.
    Sincerely,
    Sister Nicolette Eberle, R.N. (retired)
    I too am a nurse, and fully agree. I understand you like her, and she seems like a great nurse, but unfortunately whether or not she's taking them herself, selling them, whatever, that is not acceptable at all!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    personally before you report her, it might be nice to confront her about the problem. maybe she has an addiction, or maybe there is some other reason.

would be pretty crap to possibly ruin someones life over an assumption.

It's not an assumption on my part. She did something unethical, and needs to face the consequences. If she has an addiction, that's an even better reason for her to get canned, given what her job responsibilities are.

Perhaps she should have thought about the fact that becoming a pillhead could ruin her life before she did it. Oops...sorry...there I go with that 'taking responsibility' thing again. I keep forgetting that no one likes to do that anymore.

yah.... still assuming.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I would have got her high and partied :-)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    personally before you report her, it might be nice to confront her about the problem. maybe she has an addiction, or maybe there is some other reason.

It's not an assumption on my part. She did something unethical, and needs to face the consequences. If she has an addiction, that's an even better reason for her to get canned, given what her job responsibilities are.

Perhaps she should have thought about the fact that becoming a pillhead could ruin her life before she did it. Oops...sorry...there I go with that 'taking responsibility' thing again. I keep forgetting that no one likes to do that anymore.

yah.... still assuming.

It was not an assumption, it was a retort to your excuse for her. My reason is that she did it, period, no matter what the reason.
  • nikilis
    Options

yah.... still assuming.

It was not an assumption, it was a retort to your excuse for her. My reason is that she did it, period, no matter what the reason.

your seeing only black and white, but black and white makes grey :indifferent:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

There is no grey area when it comes to a medical professional breaking ethical codes and laws. Yeah, I'm a bit biased, as I loathe pharmaceuticals anyway, but that doesn't change the fact that when she is doing is a problem. If she is buying it for herself, she is feeding an addiction that can put those under her care in danger. If she is buying it to sell, she is feeding someone else's addiction.

About the only way this would be remotely acceptable is if she were buying it to flush it down the damned toilet, which I highly ****ing doubt, otherwise she would have just advised the patient to do so right then.
  • nikilis
    Options

There is no grey area when it comes to a medical professional breaking ethical codes and laws. Yeah, I'm a bit biased, as I loathe pharmaceuticals anyway, but that doesn't change the fact that when she is doing is a problem. If she is buying it for herself, she is feeding an addiction that can put those under her care in danger. If she is buying it to sell, she is feeding someone else's addiction.

About the only way this would be remotely acceptable is if she were buying it to flush it down the damned toilet, which I highly ****ing doubt, otherwise she would have just advised the patient to do so right then.

what if her nana had a sore back but couldn't afford the doctor?
  • JakeFlick
    JakeFlick Posts: 169
    Options
    if she is an addict...you could have taken full advantage and made some serious cash......j/k?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

A 'sore back' doesn't require Vicodin. You can stop trying now.
  • JakeFlick
    Options
    If my nana had a sore back I would buy painkillers off of one of my patients for her
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

yah.... still assuming.
    There is never a scenario where it is acceptable to take someone else's prescription CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. Ever. There are no assumptions here. This is someone with a problem. Period. End of sentence. If she has a toothache, asking a patient for drugs is not ethical in any way, shape or form.

OP, I saw your answer and wanted to say that people should never flush drugs down the toilet. They need to go into the garbage. Drugs in the sewer system end up in our drinking water.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You have got to be kidding me. Are you really serious or are you a troll?
  • JakeFlick
    Options
    relax
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This is really a big deal. I wouldn't want to be the next patient with a high nurse. Hope the OP understands that by not saying anything she is putting every patient in danger.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Report her.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

Even if she wasn't addicted it is still highly illegal to purchase someone else's prescription drugs. As a nurse she knows this. Both parties can get into serious trouble here. Her for purchasing and the OP for selling.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    If you really like her, tell her that you are going to report her in x amount of time. It won't be easy to do, but it would be the kindest thing in the long run.

She can seek help without losing her license this way. Assuming nursing works the same way as my profession (pharmacy), the rules are if you turn yourself in and seek treatment for a substance abuse problem, they will temporarily suspend your license, provide you with treatment, and then reinstate your license when you have completed a program. If you get caught/reported/arrested, that's it, you lose your license and do not get a second chance. That's it, career over.

Follow through though. If you say you'll report her in two weeks, do so. Because if she's already to the point where she's offering to buy controlled substances from patients, it's not too much to think that at some point soon she may be doing something worse. She could be putting patients' lives at risk in the future, if she isn't already. There's a reason people lose medical licenses over substance abuse.
  • nikilis
    Options

You have got to be kidding me. Are you really serious or are you a troll?

I think people should be given a chance to repent before their career is destroyed. I get that its totally out of line, but I'd want to know whats going on really.

but yeh WHY DONT YOU WRITE IN CAPS more and ill understand what your saying better. this is hypothetical for all of us except one so maybe watch a little less greys anatomy, and relax. ok?