Nurse Asked to Buy My Vicodin

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

A violation of privacy and your constitutional rights? Well, welcome to the REAL 2012 world!!. You are ASSUMING that the clinic is honest and that the nurse is the only rat in that nest. BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER. If the nurse is OPENLY trying to buy extra drugs off of patients.... Then what makes you think that the only drug precriptions being issued under OP's(or any clinic patient's) name are the precriptions that are actually being filled/ used by actual clinic patients....REPORT THE WHOLE CLINIC!

Yes, a violation of privacy and constitutional rights. I'm very well versed in patient rights. If someone invaded my home based on me telling a nurse that I don't have the rest of one bottle of pain pills because I threw them out or flushed them, I'd take the case to the supreme court if I had to. I'd also be blaring it all over the news, creating facebook pages, whatever I had to do. Welcome to 2012 and the glory of instant media!

I don't care if she reports the whole clinic or not. I don't really see any reason to, but that's up to OP. She does have however a very concrete reason to report the nurse. When a healthcare professional is reported, the practice employing her is part of the investigative process. I also find it totally believable that the clinic doesn't know. You'd be surprised what some healthcare professionals will do at reputable agencies. We aren't bugged, no one knows until it is reported. The problem really comes in if this has been reported before and ignored by the clinic.

Good for you! Never consent to a search without a warrant!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Your comment makes no sense whatsoever. Keep kissing the boots of the thugs who would deny your humanity.

You are VERY naive.

Yes, it's my naiveté that makes it difficult for me to digest grammatically incorrect, non-cohesive thoughts. :wink:
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

A violation of privacy and your constitutional rights? Well, welcome to the REAL 2012 world!!. You are ASSUMING that the clinic is honest and that the nurse is the only rat in that nest. BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER. If the nurse is OPENLY trying to buy extra drugs off of patients.... Then what makes you think that the only drug precriptions being issued under OP's(or any clinic patient's) name are the precriptions that are actually being filled/ used by actual clinic patients....REPORT THE WHOLE CLINIC!

Yes, a violation of privacy and constitutional rights. I'm very well versed in patient rights. If someone invaded my home based on me telling a nurse that I don't have the rest of one bottle of pain pills because I threw them out or flushed them, I'd take the case to the supreme court if I had to. I'd also be blaring it all over the news, creating facebook pages, whatever I had to do. Welcome to 2012 and the glory of instant media!

I don't care if she reports the whole clinic or not. I don't really see any reason to, but that's up to OP. She does have however a very concrete reason to report the nurse. When a healthcare professional is reported, the practice employing her is part of the investigative process. I also find it totally believable that the clinic doesn't know. You'd be surprised what some healthcare professionals will do at reputable agencies. We aren't bugged, no one knows until it is reported. The problem really comes in if this has been reported before and ignored by the clinic.

Since you are so well versed on Patients rights...then why don't you tell me about a patient's rights when the "authorities" stumble upon tons of forged prescriptions having the patient's name on them? (This kind of crap happens to innocent people all of the time.)

You like many on this board are ASSUMING that the nurse is a drug abuser....The nurse may not be a drug abuser!. All I am saying is that OP should cover her own behind and not make any assumptions about anything.....REPORT THE WHOLE FACILITY.
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you really like her, tell her that you are going to report her in x amount of time. It won't be easy to do, but it would be the kindest thing in the long run.

She can seek help without losing her license this way. Assuming nursing works the same way as my profession (pharmacy), the rules are if you turn yourself in and seek treatment for a substance abuse problem, they will temporarily suspend your license, provide you with treatment, and then reinstate your license when you have completed a program. If you get caught/reported/arrested, that's it, you lose your license and do not get a second chance. That's it, career over.

Follow through though. If you say you'll report her in two weeks, do so. Because if she's already to the point where she's offering to buy controlled substances from patients, it's not too much to think that at some point soon she may be doing something worse. She could be putting patients' lives at risk in the future, if she isn't already. There's a reason people lose medical licenses over substance abuse.

we have a winner. firm but fair. look at that!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Was her name Jackie?!

LMAO! Took the words right out my mouth.

Hot or not she offered to purchase your prescription (not to destroy them) AND gave you her number. Its obvious that she had the intent of consuming them or giving them to someone else who would. This is a crime in the States.

After a bus accident I was given a bottle of percocet. Before I could ask my mother for a ride home from the hospital she was beasting for my pills. I told her "we'll see" but when I called my twin sister she went NUTS. My mother is a recovering drug addict and consumes beer daily. Sometimes she takes her meds with the beer. What if she was out on the road and she fell asleep at the wheel? I took like 2-4 of them over the weekend and I felt they did not work. My mother was calling me non stop for the pills, instead of telling her husband I told her that I needed the pills more than she did. Honestly I stopped taking the pills and switched to advil.

Your medicine is for YOU not a nurse, a friends toothache, or NANA! Just report her, you may be helping her out.
  • pghsteelerfan
    pghsteelerfan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the physician she works for would be appalled if he knew his nurse was asking patients she felt comfortable with for their unused scripts...She is jeopardizing all her fellow co-workers employments if this should ever be discovered and the clinic closed down. I , myself, would be disturbed by this incident...as I want to have faith I am being treated by professional health care workers who arent compromising their ethics.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Since you are so well versed on Patients rights...then why don't you tell me about a patient's rights when the "authorities" stumble upon tons of forged prescriptions having the patient's name on them? (This kind of crap happens to innocent people all of the time.)

You like many on this board are ASSUMING that the nurse is a drug abuser....The nurse may not be a drug abuser!. All I am saying is that OP should cover her own behind and not make any assumptions about anything.....REPORT THE WHOLE FACILITY.

Since you haven't pointed to any actual incidents, I really can't comment on those innocent people. If you do, I can tell you my opinion and how I would have handled it. Doesn't really matter to me either way. I have yet to have my home raided despite several different surgeries or procedures where I was prescribed more than one pain pill and had it refilled. I can only tell you what I would do, which I already did.

Can you point to where I assumed she was a drug addict? I can point to you several instances where I clarified that I am much more concerned with her ethical obligations to her patients. I have no idea what she wants the pills for, nor do I care. I do think you are confusing the issue by making a claim that OP could have been investigated for simply saying she doesn't have any pills anymore and thus should have lied about it. (Again, if you don't take pills as prescribed, by taking them more than you are supposed to, that's actually a legal issue too. It's highly unlikely to become one, but since you advised that OP said the wrong thing and could have been busted for it, I'm answering why lying about taking them all was not in her best interest.)

Unless you are an attorney and referring to your own clients and have intimate knowledge of the events, I'd also question the veracity of stories where completely "innocent" people were investigated without cause. It's remarkable to me how many details "trickle" out over time that people didn't want to say at first.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    The main reason I advise OP not to lie about taking all her pills is because misinformation when it comes to pain pills could prevent her from being prescribed the right medicine for her, either because of false medical information or because they do suspect her of being addicted or dealing. That could prevent her from getting effective treatment. Healthcare providers are not the law, but they do need to know the truth to provide effective treatment. It's why I can go to my doctor and tell them I abuse crack (I don't!) without fear of arrest. If I don't tell them that, something they do treatment-wise could kill me or not work properly and they'd not know why.
  • beansprouts
    Options

Since you haven't pointed to any actual incidents, I really can't comment on those innocent people. If you do, I can tell you my opinion and how I would have handled it. Doesn't really matter to me either way. I have yet to have my home raided despite several different surgeries or procedures where I was prescribed more than one pain pill and had it refilled. I can only tell you what I would do, which I already did.

Can you point to where I assumed she was a drug addict? I can point to you several instances where I clarified that I am much more concerned with her ethical obligations to her patients. I have no idea what she wants the pills for, nor do I care. I do think you are confusing the issue by making a claim that OP could have been investigated for simply saying she doesn't have any pills anymore and thus should have lied about it. (Again, if you don't take pills as prescribed, by taking them more than you are supposed to, that's actually a legal issue too. It's highly unlikely to become one, but since you advised that OP said the wrong thing and could have been busted for it, I'm answering why lying about taking them all was not in her best interest.)

Unless you are an attorney and referring to your own clients and have intimate knowledge of the events, I'd also question the veracity of stories where completely "innocent" people were investigated without cause. It's remarkable to me how many details "trickle" out over time that people didn't want to say at first.

RICHARD PAEY
  • beansprouts
    Options

RICHARD PAEY*****RICHARD PAEY***RICHARD PAEY!!!!!
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Anyone besides him? I'm not going to do an exhaustive investigation into him, because it's pretty irrelevant to anything I've said about OP's situation, but the link I read stated that he had a DEA stamp pad and prescription forging. It sounds like the investigating had nothing to do with a purely innocent man.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    It also said that he used undated prescriptions taken from his doctor's office. You can't use the case of someone who committed illegal actions to back your claims that scores of innocent people are being busted.
  • beansprouts
    Options
    It also said that he used undated prescriptions taken from his doctor's office. You can't use the case of someone who committed illegal actions to back your claims that scores of innocent people are being busted.

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Richard Paey is a Florida man who was incarcerated in 2004 for drug trafficking. There was no evidence he ever distributed or intended to sell any pills, but drug laws in many states, including Florida, allow officials to prosecute for trafficking based solely on the quantity an individual possesses. Paey spent three and a half years in prison, until he was granted a full pardon by Florida Governor Charlie Crist in September 2007."
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I'm not sure how that backs your claim that he was innocent.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I don't believe a pardon is a wrongful imprisonment; it's forgiveness for a committed crime and eliminating further penalty.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Also, everything I've read states that his legal problems began with the pharmacy (either pharmacists contacting the police or the police keeping an eye on pharmacy traffic, there's conflicting statements), not with the nurse or doctor. But even the articles supporting him don't hide that he asked for undated prescriptions from a former doctor. He's not innocent, he was guilty.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Finally, he was offered plea bargains he didn't take and was not just convicted on trafficking, which it looks like he took part in, as he actively illegally obtained medication. I read he was also convicted on forgery and illegal possession. Which again, he looks to be guilty of. And how he got discovered is a far cry from a private conversation between a doctor or nurse and patient.
  • beansprouts
    Options
    Also, everything I've read states that his legal problems began with the pharmacy (either pharmacists contacting the police or the police keeping an eye on pharmacy traffic, there's conflicting statements), not with the nurse or doctor. But even the articles supporting him don't hide that he asked for undated prescriptions from a former doctor. He's not innocent, he was guilty.
    Re: Richard Paey

Then you need to read all the details of that case again...

"October 24, 2005, 8:37 a.m.
    Sick
    A Florida paraplegic needs relief.

By Radley Balko

Today, Richard Paey sits in a wheelchair behind high walls and razor wire in a high-security prison near Daytona Beach. Paey is a 46-year-old father of three, and a paraplegic. His condition is the result of a car accident, a botched back surgery, and a case of multiple sclerosis — three setbacks that have left him in a chronic, debilitating state of pain. After moving to Florida from New Jersey, Paey found it increasingly difficult to get prescriptions for the pain medication he needed to function normally — to support his family, and to be a parent to his children.

Paey's difficulties finding treatment were in large part due to federal- and state-government efforts to prevent the illegal use — or "diversion," as the feds call it — of prescription pain medicine. Doctors today face fines ,suspension, the loss of license or practice, the seizure of property, or even prison time in the event that drug cops (most of whom have no medical training) decide they are prescribing too many painkillers. As a result, physicians are understandably apprehensive about aggressively treating pain.

Like many pain patients, Paey found himself on the blunt end of such policies. He went from doctor to doctor, looking for someone to give him the medication he needed. By the time he eventually turned to his old New Jersey doctor for help, he had already attracted the attention of Florida drug-control authorities. What happened next is disputed, but it ended with Paey getting arrested, getting his home raided, and eventually getting convicted of drug distribution.

Paey insists his old doctor wrote him the prescriptions he needed. The Florida pharmacists who testified at his trial back him up. But the doctor says he forged the prescriptions. For his part, Paey holds no animus against his former doctor. Cops gave the doctor a devil's bargain — give Paey up, or face 25-years-to-life imprisonment for the excessive proscribing of painkillers. Paey still maintains the prescriptions were legitimate, but understands why his doctor turned against him.

The larger issue, of course, is why a man who is clearly not an addict (he wasn't taking the medication to get high) and had a legitimate use for the medication wasn't given access to what he needed in the first place.

State prosecutors concede there's no evidence Paey ever sold or gave his medication away. Nevertheless, under draconian drug-war statutes, these prosecutors could pursue distribution charges against him based solely on the amount of medication he possessed (the unauthorized possession of as few as 60 tablets of some pain medications can qualify a person as a "drug trafficker").

After three trials, Richard Paey was convicted and put in prison for 25 years, effectively a life sentence for someone in his condition. Ironically, the state of Florida now pays for a morphine pump connected to Paey's spine which delivers the same class of medication at the same doses the state of Florida told him wasn't necessary, and put him in prison for trying to obtain.

Prosecutors originally offered Paey a plea bargain that would have helped him avoid jail time, but Paey refused, insisting that (a) he did nothing wrong, and (b) even if he had, it shouldn't be a crime to seek relief from chronic pain. Paey feared that a plea would make other doctors in the state more reluctant to treat pain than they already were.

Publicly, Paey's prosecutors have conceded that the 25-year sentence was excessive, yet they insist that Paey himself is to blame, citing his refusal to accept a plea agreement. The chilling implication: Paey is serving prison time for drug distribution not because he's guilty of actually distributing drugs — the state admits as much — but because he insisted on exercising his constitutionally-protected right to a jury trial.

Earlier this year, New York Times columnist John Tierney flew to Florida to interview Paey for a story that ran on July 19. Tierney's column was sympathetic to Paey's plight, and sharply critical of the state of Florida."
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Quoting an article sympathizing with the man isn't evidence. You still haven't proven that his doctor or nurse turned him in. You telling people that they should lie to providers to avoid a home raid is fearmongering and more likely to result in someone getting ineffective treatment than protecting someone from getting their homes raided. (Edit: Addressed the source of the report in my next post after reading the appeal submitted by his attorney.)

He went to a pharmacy and obtained 1200 pills in a short period of time. Your article states the facts are in dispute. He turned in undated prescriptions and had forging equipment in his possession. (At least according to one source. I'm not going to read the trial transcripts, but you can post them if you wish.) He was found guilty by a jury of his peers. If they believed him to be innocent, they would have found him so. His sentence wasn't overturned--it was pardoned. Again, you haven't provided any evidence that he was innocent, just that he was a sympathetic character.

His word isn't enough for me. A guilty man stating "I didn't do it?" It wouldn't be the first time.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Also, all these sympathetic articles ignore that he was NOT just convicted for trafficking. He was convicted in two separate trials of charges including trafficking but also including possession and fraud/forgery.