it's kinda hard for me to meet my calorie minimum...

Options

Replies

• sfxchris
    Options
    I hear ya! I think I have only met my calorie goal only a couple of times! I am a student with my classes during the middle of the day, so with my work outs in the morning, and school between 1130 and 130 then kids after school, it seems like I miss lunch. I take little things to eat in class. So I often have like 800 calories left for dinner, but then if I work out before dinner then I will have like 1300 left over.. and now that I am eating better, I simply can't eat that many calories.

I also could use the support so friend me if you want.
    totally! added you
  • sfxchris
    Options

Will adjust according to the first quote, they seem like passive changes that wouldn't take much time at all in terms of preparation.

And yeah, but it's:
    1 cup of broccoli - 30 calories
    1 cup of hash browns - 60 calories
    ketchup - 15 calories
    The burger - 250 calories
    the cheese - 25 calories

that's 380. maybe it's the brands that i'm using that're low on calories, but my plate seems to be full

1 cup of hash brooms for 60 calories?

You also just mentioned you had a shakology shake. Unless you are adding stuff in, they are very low in calories. By using a different protein powder or meal replacement, you could easily add in extra calories and not necessarily add extra food.

Yeah, only 60 calories:
    http://www.cascadianfarm.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat=13&upc=0-21908-50167-3

this morning I had a shakeology shake, I have it with skim milk. I don't have it daily though, since I don't like dragging out the blender every day. I have some whey, I can add some of that to it.

Wow. Never saw those. I even browsed the food section before I posted.

And also, using a high fat content milk will help you up those calories.
    Yeah I came across them and couldn't believe they were so low on cals too!
    I suppose I can use regular cheese
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Here's an article on calculating your protein needs: http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm
    Wow, so MFP IS under in terms of protein. And here I was using that as reference, humph. Apparently I should be getting 100g+ per day, if this article is correct.

How much do you weigh?

One of the reasons people say MFP is under is the problems with using percentage of calories. I just set mine to 30/30/40 and try to meet that, but I usually don't.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    if you really want to meet your calories goal you just need to make small changes
    - stop eating lowfat cheese and eat the real stuff
    - put some avocado slices and mayo on that burger
    - make sure you're eating full fat yogurt like Fage and not some low cal one
    - stop eating low fat dressing
    - eat 6 oz of chicken
    - replace the protein bar with a protein shake made with milk, protein powder and fruit

I agree with her. You can go the whole route without an issue. Also, you'd be shocked how many calories nuts have in them. It's like 10 walnuts equals 200 calories. You could easily eat nuts of different types and end up with the calories you require. Walnuts are pretty good and so are others like cashews. I'd get a few big bags and a measuring scale and you could easily weight and eat what you need easily.
  • LuckyMe381
    LuckyMe381 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    add peanut butter and nuts...that will help alot
  • sfxchris
    Options
    Here's an article on calculating your protein needs: http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm
    Wow, so MFP IS under in terms of protein. And here I was using that as reference, humph. Apparently I should be getting 100g+ per day, if this article is correct.

How much do you weigh?

One of the reasons people say MFP is under is the problems with using percentage of calories. I just set mine to 30/30/40 and try to meet that, but I usually don't.
    I started at 304, and i'm now down to 260.
    I'm haven't paid much attention to different set ups like 30/30/40, etc. I guess I just assumed that if I had a lowfat, high protein diet it would work in my favor o_o
  • sfxchris
    Options
    if you really want to meet your calories goal you just need to make small changes
    - eat 6 oz of chicken
    - replace the protein bar with a protein shake made with milk, protein powder and fruit

I agree with her. You can go the whole route without an issue. Also, you'd be shocked how many calories nuts have in them. It's like 10 walnuts equals 200 calories. You could easily eat nuts of different types and end up with the calories you require. Walnuts are pretty good and so are others like cashews. I'd get a few big bags and a measuring scale and you could easily weight and eat what you need easily.
    Yes I know, walnuts have tonss of calories but they're good calories. I stopped eating nuts though at first because I thought that if I were to eat enough of them I'd gain weight lol, but I can fit them in during a snack in class.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You are only 16 years old and a male. Do you want to screw up your metabolism and growth so young ? Get a grip and start eating more.
    right, but I'm not going to shove an extra 1,000 calories down my mouth simply because I don't have the time or desire to. I will take it slow
    I don't think anyone's suggesting you "shove food" into yourself. 2000 calories is not actually a huge target to aim for. 4000, yes, I could see how that would be more difficult, but 2000 is not that much, especially for a young male. You don't have to shovel food in, you can get there with a bit of planning, and accepting that you don't have to eat only "diet" food to lose weight. Some great suggestions have already been made. Basically, eat foods that are still nutritious, but are calorie-dense. Avocados, oily fish, full fat cheese, other dairy products - full fat, lean meats, nuts, nut butters, seeds, oils added to salads and cooking. Drinks like milk, nut milks, smoothies and protein shakes. It's not about eating such a quantity of food that you feel full and uncomfortable. Just like someone has to plan and adjust their diet to make it more low calorie, you can do the same to reach 2000.

It sounds like you're pretty active. At 16, you're probably still growing too. Give your body the nutrients, and energy, it needs to perform properly and be healthy. You've done a fantastic job so far in losing 41 lbs, but you don't have to drastically under-eat to get to your goal. From comments you've written elsewhere, it sounds like this might be more of a psychological issue, that you just don't want to eat that many calories.
    But that's the thing, if I overeat from what I'm eating now I'll just get that full, tired, bloated feeling. I'm eating a lot, just lower calorie items. And, based on what I'm eating now, 2000 is sort of a tough goal to reach because that's another 3 meals right there on top of what I'm eating, and like I said I really don't have the time to pencil in 3 extra meals AFTER classes that's too much.

In terms of psychological, it's not a psychological problem. Before school and activities started (during the summer) I was eating 1600-2100 calories a day, eating at 9 AM, 12 PM, 3 PM, 5 PM, 7PM, and probably 9PM (nothing big). Now it's more like 8 AM, 2:30PM, 5PM, and 8PM. & that's simply because of my schedule...

Other people suggested random snacks like rice cakes and such, I will try that
    Did you read the part about not eating only low calorie items, and eating more high calorie items? If you eat things that are higher in calories, you won't need to eat a larger quantity of food, and you shouldn't feel stuffed or bloated. Why don't you at least give it a try?
    Some people are taught not to overeat what they're craving/wanting.
    Also, there are a lot of nutritionally dense foods that keep you full without tons of calories.
    You posted saying that you are struggling to meet your calorie goal, so why are you trying to avoid calories? You can't do both.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, you are still growing!!! Don't deprive your body of nutrition now! Family members who wrested in high school were always trying to get down to a lower weight class for meets. They ended up costing themselves several inches of height in the process! Your diet also seems to be very lean. Fat is important for brain development. Honestly, I can't tell you how long you have to worry about brain development vs. a young child. I can tell you that your calorie count says that you can indulge a bit more. Your weight loss is pretty extreme at 20lbs per month. Eat some red meat from time to time and drink milk! You can afford to spend a few more healthy calories! There are SO many healthy foods that will help you lose weight while NOT robbing your of the nutrients and calories you need to grow.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    - eat 6 oz of chicken

Yes I know, walnuts have tonss of calories but they're good calories. I stopped eating nuts though at first because I thought that if I were to eat enough of them I'd gain weight lol, but I can fit them in during a snack in class.
    What makes you think walnuts are not "good calories"? Walnuts are very nutritious.
  • TaylaGX
    Options
    - make sure you're eating full fat yogurt like fage and not some low cal one
    - eat 6 oz of chicken

This

and
    Damn....I must be doing it wrong because there's no way I could add up a 5 oz cheese burger, broccoli, and hashbrowns to 375 cals!

This.

Make sure you're weighing/measuring to get more accurate amounts of the food you're eating. I don't see how the lunch you're eating is only 375 calories. You may be closer to your 2000 than you think.

Will adjust according to the first quote, they seem like passive changes that wouldn't take much time at all in terms of preparation.

And yeah, but it's:
    ketchup - 15 calories
    the cheese - 25 calories

that's 380. maybe it's the brands that i'm using that're low on calories, but my plate seems to be full

Are you sure 1 cup of hash browns is 60 calories? I doubt it. And how much cheese are you adding to your burger?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Are you sure 1 cup of hash browns is 60 calories? I doubt it. And how much cheese are you adding to your burger?

Scroll up. I asked the same and he provided the brand name. Checked it out on their site myself. It is accurate.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My body told me I needed more food when I was massively overeating. Then it told me I wasn't hungry when I was on 800 cals a day. I would love to "listen to my body", but it's listening to my brain that has actually got me to a healthy weight for the first time ever.

:heart:
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options

And yeah, but it's:
    ketchup - 15 calories
    the cheese - 25 calories

1 cup of hash brooms for 60 calories?

You also just mentioned you had a shakology shake. Unless you are adding stuff in, they are very low in calories. By using a different protein powder or meal replacement, you could easily add in extra calories and not necessarily add extra food.

and what cheese for 25?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm 99.9999% sure the article is correct. That's the standard I most often see cited. It's more accurate than a percentage.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    pfft you shouldn't care if your not reaches your calorie minimum, your losing weight aren't you? You're not starving yourself are you? Then it doesn't matter.
    Wrong, wrong wrong. You're body needs a certain amount of calories just to live off, ie. breathing, heartbeat, proper brain function, etc. if you eat too little, then you start harming your organs by not getting enough nutrients to them. Also, eventually your metabolism will get so slow, every little thing you eat will start packing on the pounds. You're body goes into starvation mode, even if you are eating. The same thing goes for fad diets, ie low fat, low carb etc. your body needs fat and carbs, for energy, and healthy fats are a must for your brain. When your diet lacks anything from fat to carbs, your body starts holding on to them, hindering fat loss.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    eat nuts, avocado etc
    easy
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Eurgh guys.
    MFP says I should be eating 2,000 calories daily, but I rarely reach half that...

The thing is, no, I am NOT starving myself.

I eat 3 full meals a day including an occasional snack like yogurt a few times a week.

I have a protein meal bar in the morning (190 calls), along with my multivitamin and supplements and head right to my classes because they begin at 8:30.

Then I'll finish, work out, which usually burns 300-500 calories depending on the day/duration, and have lunch, which this week has been a 5 oz. burger with lowfat cheese, a cup of broccoli and a cup of hashbrowns and some ketchup.... this ONLY comes out to 375 calories and it fills me up..

Then I'll have dinner, which this week has been 4 oz. of chicken, 2 cups of salad, another vegetable like peas or corn, and low-fat salad dressing, and this comes to 330.

As you can see, I'm far below my calorie limit, especially with my exercise calorie deficit.
    It's not that I work out obsessively; I do an hour of either walking on the treadmill/DVDs each day depending on the day, and NEVER GO ABOVE 60 minutes. I just seemed to have worked out a meal plan that fills me up but is low on calories...

I just don't see why I should fit in another 1,000 calories when I'm not hungry. But I also don't want to destroy my body or something. So far I feel fine though, is this normal..?

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

It really depends on your RMR. If you are short like I am then your RMR is really just above the 1200 limit so you really don't have much room for a calorie deficit and going up is less likely to work. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit.

Some people can eat at a big calorie deficit and some people can't. Everyone is different. Even a small calorie deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones as such, add a new workout routine, and those will make more spikes. This is a huge waiting game and requires much patience. Add in emotional eating issues and then you have more complications.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The good thing is you don't have to worry about the starvation mode myth if you are fat. Only skinny people have to worry about starvation mode. It does not mean you have the capability to eat at a large calorie deficit if you have emotional eating disorders or other issues going on, but at least you don't have to be afraid of it anymore.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • riveradee
    riveradee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    when i was preganat and losing instead of gaining the nutritionist advised me that a yogurt and a banana are almost 500 cal..so i would suggest that..or look at the break down of your nutrients such as protien/calcium and see which are lacking and eat something healthy that fills the gap in those areas..
  • riveradee
    riveradee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    you could also reasses your goals..2000 seems high..mine is 1200 at the moment..at the most its been is 1500/1600