Please Help Me - I Don't Know What I'm Doing Wrong

Options
Hello,

I've been a long time observer of these forums, but have never posted. This is my first post, so please take it easy on me:

I'm a 24-year-old, 5'7" female with 30% body fat (measured at my local gym using calipers) and I am trying desperately to lose weight - more importantly, I want to reduce my body fat % and 'looking' lean is more important to me than the number on the scale.

I have tracked my food intake for 4 years now (I've always been calorie conscious, even as a young teenager), but stopped in early 2011 due to a death in the family (I fell of track and regained some of the weight I had lost in the previous months), only to resume my weight-loss efforts this summer.

Even with my 'calorie conscious' habits, the ONLY time I have ever lost more than a pound or two in my adult life was back in 2010 when I severely restricted my calories. At that time I wasn't taking part in any sort of exercise whatsoever, and I was living an extremely sedentary life (40+ hrs/week desk job).

Here are my stats from back in 2010 when I was actually losing weight (back then I was writing everything in a journal and only tracked my calorie intake):

October2010Stats_zpsf9838600.jpg
November2012Stats_zps07ca2a67.jpg
December2010Stats_zpsf6ab7ded.jpg
January2011Stats_zps1d9c6b6d.jpg
February2012Stats_zpsffdaa202.jpg

As I mentioned above, I discontinued recording my food intake and let my diet spiral out of control in early 2011 due to a death in the family. As a result, I shot back up to around 150 pounds. Scared that I was well on my way to being 169 pounds again (my heaviest weight of all time) I resumed watching my diet and started to track my intake using an online calorie tracker which counts macros along with my calorie intake.

In addition to recording my diet again, I decided to start exercising. For the past 1.5 months I have been following TurboFire (an intense cardio conditioning program that includes cardio kickboxing, HIIT workouts, and strength training) for 3 days a week, as well as lifting circuit weights (3 days a week). I have been tracking my calorie burns using a polar heart-rate monitor.

Here are my stats for the past couple of months:

July2012Stats_zps458d0463.jpg
August2012Stats_zps59102f2f.jpg
September2012Stats_zpsb683c662.jpg
October2012Stats_zpsf47cdc5a.jpg

Even with the added exercise and watching my diet I don't seem to be losing any weight, and to top it off, I had my body fat measured again at my local gym this morning and it's still at 30%!! I feel better, but I don't 'look' any different.

I measure and weigh out everything I put in my mouth. I don't snack mindlessly throughout the day, and I certainly don't 'skip' logging meals because I'm ashamed of what I ate that day. My food diary is completely honest to the best of my abilities and I drink 4 nalgene bottles of water a day (128 oz) but regardless, I'm not experiencing any progress.

I guess my question is, what am I doing wrong??? Is my only hope for losing weight again to drop back down to eating 1000 calories a day on average??

I'm so lost and confused. I don't know what to do...

Please help.

Replies

• seiser3
    seiser3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to your calorie deficit. It seems like with your current exercise and caloric intake, you are OK... I would recommend seeing a doctor, You never know, you could have health concerns linked to this stagnant weight loss. Great job on your tracking and documentation. I wish I was this organized... Best of luck and please do not loose hope, because we haven't on you.
  • Katrina_88
    Katrina_88 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am also in a very similar situation! I have been working out doing HIIT jillian michaels videos at least a hour a day and counting all calories (staying under 1,100) and I lost 6 pounds the first month but this last month I have literally stayed exactly the same, I have been told by many people that because I didn't use weights or do too much exercise previously to this that I am building a lot more muscle and that I am not showing results on the scale because of this. I guess when i think about it, it does make sense but is still so frustrating! I have also been told that since i am working out that I should be eating at least 1500 calories even though when i look it up 1100 is about average when trying to lose weight. I hope you find something that works for you to help get the scale to start dropping, Feel free to fill me in cause I am really trying to lose my pregnancy weight before summer lol :D
  • keirajl
    keirajl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am at the 5'5" 140 range and trying to get back down to 130lbs-ish. It almost seems like I have to starve myself to loose weight. 1000-1200 calories a day just isn't enough!!! I don't have any advise for you as I am currently going through the same issues, but your not alone.... I know the feeling.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Ok so you weigh 147 now. That is already right in a good weight range for your height (5’7” 122 – 155 Lbs.) You can still lose some weight and be in the healthy range.

You can still lose weight if you want, but it needs to be a nice slow easy deficit and it will take time. It is all about calories and a calorie deficit.

If you want to really shape your body you need to lift weights, change it up all the time, heavy, light, super-sets, pyramids, lots of leg routines designed for women. I did lifting with the guys for over 30 years and their routines gave me a good muscle base but didn't do much for my shape. I didn't change my shape until I started a women's weight lifting routine last year and also learned to eat at a calorie deficit that was right for me. You really need a good weight lifting routine designed for women.

You can't out exercise too many calories. Think of exercise to shape your lean body mass and make it pretty for when the fat is gone. Think of the calorie deficit for losing fat. This way if you get injured or can't workout for a period of time know that you can keep things in control with your diet until you can get back to your routine.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I must say at the start of your weight loss your calorie intake was way too low but I see it has improved a lot. I go to Curves the ladies gym and they have told me to eat atleast 1400 calories a day. I was also seeing a dietitian a few years ago after an accident and she told me I was way too low on calorie intake so I had to learn to eat more food. She gave me a list of food to eat but I couldn't do it, I would always have a good breakfast but then not eat until late in the afternoon so I found eating all through the day too much for me; she then had me have food replacement shakes to add to my food and that helped. My dietitian said my body was in starvation mode and every time I ate it stored what I ate as fat. It has taken me a couple of years to get into the habit of eating through out the day but I can do it now but I can forget sometimes !

It is really important to graze throughout the day rather than just a few big meals, my mother did that and she even ate sweets and things and she was like a matchstick !

I don't see anywhere on you list of your water intake , it really does help to get those 2 litres of water in a day ( 8 glasses ) also to get to bed at a good time too. I have just been stuck on a plateau for the past couple of months but I finally have got past it now yaaaaa the main thing I did to solve the problem was get onto my water as I had stopped drinking enough. What I really need to do now is get to bed earlier as I tend to stay up too late.

best wishes with your weight loss
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am also in a very similar situation! I have been working out doing HIIT jillian michaels videos at least a hour a day and counting all calories (staying under 1,100) and I lost 6 pounds the first month but this last month I have literally stayed exactly the same, I have been told by many people that because I didn't use weights or do too much exercise previously to this that I am building a lot more muscle and that I am not showing results on the scale because of this. I guess when i think about it, it does make sense but is still so frustrating! I have also been told that since i am working out that I should be eating at least 1500 calories even though when i look it up 1100 is about average when trying to lose weight. I hope you find something that works for you to help get the scale to start dropping, Feel free to fill me in cause I am really trying to lose my pregnancy weight before summer lol :D

@ Katrina_88 1100 calories is no where near enough in a day ! As I said before your body will be in starvation mode and storing your calories as fat. Aim for around 1400 calories a day
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Your calories do seem low for someone at your height.

The calipers at the gym are not very accurate. I was frustrated last year trying to achieve the metric goals I had set for myself and the calipers were way off, they said I was at 17%. The next week I went and got a hydrostatic body fat test and I was at 10.5% and if I kept at the deficit I was on then I really could have gone into starvation mode (but my body was already telling me this so I wouldn't have kept going). I knew something was wrong which is why I went and got the hydrostatic body fat test. So with that data I knew it was time to up my calories and no harm done.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

There are a lot of things that could be going on. No one here can tell you to eat more or less, only you and your doctor can decide that.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    If your 5' 7" and 147 you well within the healthy weight range.
    the chart below is from the world health organization (WHO) and it shows that 30% body fat is within the healthy range as well. I like this chart because it's based on HEALTH. (Trainers use a different chart, because they want more extreme results to show "success" and if you have more extreme goals they get more work.)

Relax
    Don't stress and go to extremes. It'll only screw up your metabolism then you'll have to lose weight because of health issues and it just that much harder with a screwed up metabolism.

STAY HEALTHY. If you want to lose a few vanity pounds that's fine, but don't let it consume you. I think of all the time I wasted when I could have been having fun!

I know I sound like an old fart (maybe because I am?) but t your body is a vehicle that has to get you through your whole life. No trade-ins.

calculate-my-body-fat-percentage.gif

Now go out land have fun!!!!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It's great that you maintained a food journal in the past and started again. There are a few things, though.

1. Your entries from day to day are very random - from calories eaten to exercise and even macros. You don't seem to be adhering to a set pattern. Even if you follow a cyclical schedule, such as carb or calorie cycling, you should have a target to reach daily and/or weekly.

2. Stop weighing yourself daily - It will just make you paranoid.

3. Stop doing 900-1000 calories of cardio - Too much exercise places a significant amount of stress on the endocrine system and can cause spikes in cortisol that result in abnormal amounts of water retention. You also lose excessive amounts of lean body mass which thus lowers Resting Metabolic Rate even further. Engage predominantly in strength-training 3-4 days per week with 1 or 2 HIIT sessions that average between 250-500 calories.

Honestly, your best day was 9/10/12: 1664 calories eaten; 434 exercise calories; 83g carbs, 89 fats, 131 protein.

I ran your numbers based on your stats and your TDEE, if you engaged in moderate activity up to five days a week was 2137 calories to maintain weight. At your height and weight, you should set a weekly weight loss goal of 0.75 lb - no greater than this. Thus, you should be eating about 1760 per day.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    It takes at least 2,500 calories to support 250lbs. Your calories are extremely low.

You're on semi-starvation diet. There is this thing called dieters edema which happens with semi starvation diets. You hold more water as you lose weight. Body water can be up to 50% weight. That's 125lbs of water in your body right now. It's constantly moving and shifting. What happens with dieters edema is that the fat cells can actually fill up with water. So you look the same, weigh the same... yet you still have less fat.

There are a few ways to combat dieters edema, full starvation(24hr fast) or eating at higher calorie levels such as maintenance. If i was you, I would eat at maintenance for a week, and cut back down on my calories again.

125 pounds of water is not 1/2 my body weight. I do not weigh 250 pounds...I'm sorry I'm not following you. I have upped my calories. Look at my chart. And I'm still not losing.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    the chart below is from the world health organization Show that 30% body fat is within the healthy range as well.

Relax
    Don't stress and go to extremes. It'll only screw up your metabolism then you'll have to lose weight because of health issues and it just that much harder with a screwed up metabolism.

STAY HEALTHY. If you want to lose a few vanity pounds that's fine, but don't let it consume you. I think of all the time I wasted when I could have been having fun!

I know I sound like an old fart (maybe because I am?) but t your body is a vehicle that has to get you through your whole life. No trade-ins.

Now go out land have fun.

I'm sorry but 30% body fat is NOT exactly healthy for women.
  • phoenix4869
    Options
    Like you, I am fighting with losing weight. Although I have had great sucess ythis year - losing 50 pounds. I seem to be stuck. I haven't lost any weight for the past three months. I am walking 30 minutes a day, which is pretty much the only exercise my body can handle due to arthritis in my knees hips and spine. I am eating about 1300 calories a day. I donty eat junk.or candy.and have to avoid dairy for health reasons. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit, but make sure to get the protein I need.

What am I doing wrong? Why am I stuck? How can I jumpstart weightloss again?
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    It's great that you maintained a food journal in the past and started again. There are a few things, though.

1. Your entries from day to day are very random - from calories eaten to exercise and even macros. You don't seem to be adhering to a set pattern. Even if you follow a cyclical schedule, such as carb or calorie cycling, you should have a target to reach daily and/or weekly.

2. Stop weighing yourself daily - It will just make you paranoid.

3. Stop doing 900-1000 calories of cardio - Too much exercise places a significant amount of stress on the endocrine system and can cause spikes in cortisol that result in abnormal amounts of water retention. You also lose excessive amounts of lean body mass which thus lowers Resting Metabolic Rate even further. Engage predominantly in strength-training 3-4 days per week with 1 or 2 HIIT sessions that average between 250-500 calories.

Honestly, your best day was 9/10/12: 1664 calories eaten; 434 exercise calories; 83g carbs, 89 fats, 131 protein.

I ran your numbers based on your stats and your TDEE, if you engaged in moderate activity up to five days a week was 2137 calories to maintain weight. At your height and weight, you should set a weekly weight loss goal of 0.75 lb - no greater than this. Thus, you should be eating about 1760 per day.

Thank you! But on average I am eating around 1700 calories a day - random or not - the average comes out to be 1700. Shouldn't my calorie intake be the same too?
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    I guess my issue here is, it's OBVIOUS that I'm operating at a deficit with my exercise. Why then am I not losing weight?

And if 1000 calories is TOO LITTLE, then why was that the ONLY time I've ever lost weight and felt good (not to mention look good)?
  • luckycat12
    Options
    Your calories do seem low for someone at your height.

The calipers at the gym are not very accurate. I was frustrated last year trying to achieve the metric goals I had set for myself and the calipers were way off, they said I was at 17%. The next week I went and got a hydrostatic body fat test and I was at 10.5% and if I kept at the deficit I was on then I really could have gone into starvation mode (but my body was already telling me this so I wouldn't have kept going). I knew something was wrong which is why I went and got the hydrostatic body fat test. So with that data I knew it was time to up my calories and no harm done.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

There are a lot of things that could be going on. No one here can tell you to eat more or less, only you and your doctor can decide that.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    I appreciate all your help GREATLY.

But please stop telling me that my calories are too low.

I was eating 1000 calories a day back in 2010 - when I was actually LOSING weight.

I have upped my calories and added exercise for a long time and I'm NOT losing.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    the chart below is from the world health organization Show that 30% body fat is within the healthy range as well.

Relax

Now go out land have fun.

I'm sorry but 30% body fat is NOT exactly healthy for women.

Where are you getting your info from?

the chart is from the world health organization, which bases it these categories on a variety of HEALTH. factors

Trainers use a different chart, which nodes not account for age.
    Think about it, it's how they sell there services.
    1) They want to acheive more extreme results so they can show you their track record of "success" and
    2) The more extreme your goals are the easier it is to sell you on their services.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    Hi,
    I must say at the start of your weight loss your calorie intake was way too low but I see it has improved a lot. I go to Curves the ladies gym and they have told me to eat atleast 1400 calories a day.

Then why am I not losing weight??
    I was also seeing a dietitian a few years ago after an accident and she told me I was way too low on calorie intake so I had to learn to eat more food. She gave me a list of food to eat but I couldn't do it, I would always have a good breakfast but then not eat until late in the afternoon so I found eating all through the day too much for me; she then had me have food replacement shakes to add to my food and that helped. My dietitian said my body was in starvation mode and every time I ate it stored what I ate as fat. It has taken me a couple of years to get into the habit of eating through out the day but I can do it now but I can forget sometimes !

It is really important to graze throughout the day rather than just a few big meals, my mother did that and she even ate sweets and things and she was like a matchstick !

I don't see anywhere on you list of your water intake , it really does help to get those 2 litres of water in a day ( 8 glasses ) also to get to bed at a good time too. I have just been stuck on a plateau for the past couple of months but I finally have got past it now yaaaaa the main thing I did to solve the problem was get onto my water as I had stopped drinking enough. What I really need to do now is get to bed earlier as I tend to stay up too late.

As I mentioned in my post I drink MULTIPLE Nalgene bottles of water a day.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You might not be losing weight but gaining muscle instead. THE SCALE ISNT THAT IMPORTANT! Im guessing back in 2010 your body was in starvation mode (500 calories some days? YIKES) and was losing MUSCLE not FAT, which isnt good. I wouldnt worry about this too much.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    Thank you for all your help everybody :)

But I'm still completely confused. I'm operating at a deficit, eating 1700 calories on average now for 2 months, weight lifting and doing cardio regularly and I'm STILL not losing weight.

The only time in my life that I DID lose weight was back when I was eating a 1000 calories. I'm starting to think that's my only choice - because I HAVE been eating enough, I HAVE been doing cardio and weight lifting, I HAVE been drinking enough water, and I HAVE been tracking my calories accurately - and alas, nothing is happening.