Please Help Me - I Don't Know What I'm Doing Wrong

Options

Replies

• GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    Ok so you weigh 147 now. That is already right in a good weight range for your height (5’7” 122 – 155 Lbs.) You can still lose some weight and be in the healthy range.

You can still lose weight if you want, but it needs to be a nice slow easy deficit and it will take time. It is all about calories and a calorie deficit.

If you want to really shape your body you need to lift weights, change it up all the time, heavy, light, super-sets, pyramids, lots of leg routines designed for women. I did lifting with the guys for over 30 years and their routines gave me a good muscle base but didn't do much for my shape. I didn't change my shape until I started a women's weight lifting routine last year and also learned to eat at a calorie deficit that was right for me. You really need a good weight lifting routine designed for women.

You can't out exercise too many calories. Think of exercise to shape your lean body mass and make it pretty for when the fat is gone. Think of the calorie deficit for losing fat. This way if you get injured or can't workout for a period of time know that you can keep things in control with your diet until you can get back to your routine.

How is a 'female weightlifting program' different from a 'male weightlifting program'?

IMO, it should not be.

That's what I thought. I've never heard of a 'female' weight training program - or is that when you lift lighter weights with higher reps? Would that help? Or should I stick to the heavier weights?
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    One last question guys, (I'm sorry, I know I'm changing the topic a bit, but I'd like to 'juice' the feed while I have people's attention)

Is it better to use free weights or circuit weights? Because all I have ever used are the circuit weight machines and I don't know how to 'free lift' (or whatever you call it?) with the free weights.

Or does it not really make a difference?
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    Thank you! But on average I am eating around 1700 calories a day - random or not - the average comes out to be 1700. Shouldn't my calorie intake be the same too?
    Yes, you are averaging about 1750 a day, but you seem to be bouncing from one extreme to the other by consuming 1100 calories and up to 3000 calories on others. If you're going to cycle calories, they should be within a reasonable set of parameters - say 1800 a few days and 1600 on less intense workout or rest days.

Regarding your exercise theory, you need to establish deficits suitable for the amount of fat mass you have. Let's just assume you really are 30% body fat at your weight - this implies you have 103 lbs of lean body mass with the remaining 44 lbs in fat mass. There is a limit to how much fat mass that can be oxidized in a 24 hour period: 30 x lbs of fat mass. That would equal a 1320 calorie deficit worth of fat oxidation. You may think: Wow, so I can set a deficit of 1320 calories and lose that much fat per day? Not going to happen because a 1320 deficit for you would lead to a whopping 61% deficit - someone like you should only be assuming at most a 25% deficit - and the leaner you get, you'll need to reduce it to 15%. Sustaining too large of a deficit of that scale has negative effects on one's endocrine system: excessive decline in both RMR and serum leptin concentration levels, increased loss of lean body mass, and potentially increases in cortisol levels.

To minimize the alterations that come with calorie restriction, you need to establish a deficit appropriate for how much fat mass you have. If you engage in too great a deficit, you are slowing your metabolism down to unnecessary degrees by means of sabotage. Diet is a stress. Exercise is a stress. Going to extremes with both will create a significant amount of stress which your endocrine system will be forced to make significant alterations to adapt which will actually take you out of an optimal zone to oxidize fat effectively.

The slowed metabolism theory is old. At max metabolism slows down by 10%. I already said in my first post, why people don't lose "weight" in a extreme calorie deficit. I also talked how to combat the issue. I am at 48% calorie deficit, with weight training, strength is going up, weight loss is good 2-3lbs a week.

As I said above I cycle between 2,800 and 1,200 calories a day.

Look at the last 4 pictures: I have been eating over 1700 calories. I know I'm operating at a deficit because it also shows my exercise calorie burn right next to it.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    It's confusing following what you're saying. In your logs above you have 1,200 on average, now you're saying you eat 1,700.
    You said you're eating at a deficit as well. one question, how do you know? Because some calculator told you so?

Calorie averages are calorie averages, i cycle between 2,850 and 1,200. I alternate everyday. With no issues, lose weight really easily. If you're as you say, constantly eating 1,700 and not losing. You're eating too much. As I said in my first post, eat at maintenance for about a week. 1,700 is close to maintenance, sounds you have bee doing it or a while? Now cut back down. I'd recommend cycling between 1,200 and 1,700 for you, with 500 calorie burn every other day. Which averages to 500 calorie burn a day.

This is how I know I'm operating at a deficit:

July2012Stats_zps458d0463.jpg
    August2012Stats_zps59102f2f.jpg
    September2012Stats_zpsb683c662.jpg
    October2012Stats_zpsf47cdc5a.jpg

As I said above I cycle between 2,800 and 1,200 calories a day.
    One thing matters to weight loss, burn more calories than you consume, how you do it is up to you. You will burn more calories with free weights. There is a learning curb, so be patient and get started.

That's what I'm doing and it's not working???
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    No, you're ESTIMATING, calorie burn, your TDEE, and how many calories your consume.Do you even have a food scale? Following simple logic, you have to burn more calories then you consume and you're not losing. What's wrong? You're not burning enough or eating to much. Do I wouldn't call that calorie cycling, that calorie consumption is pretty close together. Looks like you're going up or down just by a few hundred calories. As I said before, if I was you, i'd eat 1,700 one day, 1,200 the next, and burn about 500 calories per exercise session.

As I said in my original post, YES, I weight out all of my food EVERY SINGLE DAY. Every spoon of peanut butter, every cut of meat: meticulously weighed out on a scale or using measuring cups/spoon.

Again, as I mentioned in my original post, my calorie burns are calculated using a heart rate monitor.
  • thomasxaviersayles
    Options
    I might suggest taking a supplement as a result of not getting the proper Essential fatty acids in your diet. Try finding Dr. Udo's Essential Fatty acids 3-6-9. Without these the body is unhealthy and unable to process food correctly. Take approximately one tablespoon per fifty pounds of weight and just add it to your foods, do not heat it up, just eat it raw. You can do the research on this and confirm what I have said. Secondly, stay completely away from processed foods if possible.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can't help you as I am in the same boat, Just wanted to say I hope you get it sorted out soon. I know how darn frustrating it is.
    Good luck
  • kberichon
    Options
    Exercise is interesting and I do not know too much about weight loss other than some real basics, eating less calories than you need will probably make you lose weight.

As for exercise that is an interesting equation because while I do not consider myself extremely fit but I try and keep in reasonable condition. Generally I will ride my bike between 80 to 100 kilometres twice per week perhaps totalling 300ks each week and you would think I am a pretzel no matter what I eat. Well that is wrong.

I have a Garmin bike computer with a heart rate monitor, it also calculates the number of calories consumed on a ride. I understand there are a lot of variables but one thing is clear. If I add the equivalent exercise to fitness pal it gives me double the calorie concession I get on the Garmin. So now I adjust my exercise time in fitness pal by half and which then matches the data from the Garmin bike computer and presto weight starts to fall.

Now this is an observation that maybe useful because when I was using the fitness pal calculator for calories burned I did not lose weight. Everyone is different and I am sure there is a lot of science that has gone into the exercise calculator but for me I need to adjust it.

By the way I love the fitness pal application as it is easy, convenient, fun to use and recommend it to others. For me the barcode scanning is the best thing since the invention of the iPhone.
  • TheRealDag
    Options
    I guess my issue here is, it's OBVIOUS that I'm operating at a deficit with my exercise. Why then am I not losing weight?

And if 1000 calories is TOO LITTLE, then why was that the ONLY time I've ever lost weight and felt good (not to mention look good)?

Well, you CANNOT be operating a deficit and not lose weight. Whatever we may not know about the complexities of how the body works, we do know enough to be sure about that.

So that leaves two possibilities: Either your data on "total calories consumed" are wrong, or your body uses less energy than you think it does. According to http://www.answers.com/topic/basal-metabolic-rate the minimum energy expenditure to just keep the body going (doing no mechanical work, e.g. lying in bed) is 1200 to 1800 kcal/day, but as low as 700 kcal/day in some individuals.

I can't *know* which of the two it is, but on the face of it, it seems more likely your data is wrong than that you have a serious metabolic condition. You are quite healthy, neither obese nor underweight, and that suggests you have a normal metabolism. Your data on the other hand seems to be all over the place. Both exercise and food intake varies a lot from day to day and also from month to month. In July you exercised on 2 days, once burning 216 kcal and the other day 1851.

You can sanity check your own data by converting weight loss into calories. Your basic everyday consumption equals the sum of calories consumed in any period minus exercise plus calories burned from fat. Fat is 9 kcal/gram whether it comes off your body's storage or in the food. I would do this calculation if your data was a table (so I could simply copy it over into Excel), but as it is an image you'll have to do it yourself.

For example, based on your Aug 2012 data, you lost 3 pounds. Assuming all of it was fat, that's 1.36kg * 9000kcal/kg = 12 240 kcal. Food intake was 31*1375 = 42 625, of which exercise took 31*75 = 2325 kcal. Based on this data your basic metabolic consumption was 12 240 + 42 625 - 2325 = 52540 kcal over 31 days, which works out to just under 1700 kcal/day. The point isn't to find out what your rate is but to check the sanity of your data, and 1700kcal/day is not completely crazy and so indicates your data for august *may* be correct.

My suggestion is that you do this same calculation for all of the other months to see whether there is any consistency. If there is not, and your data suggests a basic metabolic rate that varies wildly from month to month, I'd suspect the data rather than the metabolism if you have no other indicators of metabolic problems. If you aren't sure, take your data with you to your doctor, who should be able to investigate whether you have any metabolism issues.

One last point: The above calculation assumes all of the weight loss came from fat. This does not really matter when using it just to check if data from month to month yields consistent results, so long as the proportion of the weight loss that came from fat is about the same. But here your very variable data could be a bit of a problem. If you change the amount of carbs drastically, you also change how much water your body holds. (Btw I saw one poster say your body "can be up to 50% water"; a normal healthy body is actually about 70% water!) If you lost 1 lb of water weight in one month (eating little carbs) and regained it the next, this would greatly affect the result. To see this, assume you'd actually lost 3 lb of fat in both months. Since you lost 1 lb of water too the first month, you'll record a weight loss of 4 lb. The next month you'll record only 2 lb, half as much, even though your water weight has nothing to do with your energy balance.

I would advice you to make a moderate plan of at least 1300 kcal/day, with a fixed energy distribution between carbs, protein and fat. Then try to stick to it stringently enough that you get consistent weeks. (Being consistent on a daily basis is hard, especially when you need to watch carbs/fat/protein separately in addition to total calories. And at least I find that I need to allow myself a little more on weekends than the rest of the week. But say you get at leasts 1200kcal every day, and not more than 1400kcal per day on average in any week, and you'll be on your way, losing weight quite slowly but steadily.)
  • suemoony
    suemoony Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If your 5' 7" and 147 you well within the healthy weight range.
    the chart below is from the world health organization (WHO) and it shows that 30% body fat is within the healthy range as well. I like this chart because it's based on HEALTH. (Trainers use a different chart, because they want more extreme results to show "success" and if you have more extreme goals they get more work.)

Relax
    Don't stress and go to extremes. It'll only screw up your metabolism then you'll have to lose weight because of health issues and it just that much harder with a screwed up metabolism.

STAY HEALTHY. If you want to lose a few vanity pounds that's fine, but don't let it consume you. I think of all the time I wasted when I could have been having fun!

I know I sound like an old fart (maybe because I am?) but t your body is a vehicle that has to get you through your whole life. No trade-ins.

calculate-my-body-fat-percentage.gif

Now go out land have fun!!!!

I 2nd that and completely agree, go have some fun xx

I'm 5'6 and weigh 158lbs - i'd like to get down to 140lbs but already feel stronger and healthier, I think you probably still feel fat but more than likely you look great.... maybe you're self perception hasn't caught up with what your body looks like yet. :)
  • TheRealDag
    Options
    Your august data indicates a basic everyday consumption (i.e. excluding exercise) of 1700kcal/day.

Doing the same for your september data we get instead

weight change = +5 lb. Assuming 5lb of fat => 20 350 kcal => 656 kcal/day stored
    food intake - exercise = 1795 - 417 = 1378 kcal/day

which indicates a basic everyday consumption of

1378 - 656 = 722 kcal/day

So either your metabolic rate dropped tremendeously as you increased calorie intake and exercise, or your data quality is really low. Which seems more likely to you?
  • bettyd74
    bettyd74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you do small frequent meals? Try eating smaller meals ever 2-3 hours, and each meals should have carbs, protein, & fiber. The last meal before bed should be just protein. The first meal after waking up should be within the 1st hour. I started exercising about a year ago, lost about 20lbs, but then stand still. With the increase strength training lost more a few more inches, but came to a stand still. Like you I feel great, but no movement; I'm finally seeing some movement again by eating smaller meals; no carbs in the last meal before bedtime, and trying to eat within the first hour of waking up. Mostimes, that means I have to plan my first, and last meal ahead of time.
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    It takes at least 2,500 calories to support 250lbs. Your calories are extremely low.

You're on semi-starvation diet. There is this thing called dieters edema which happens with semi starvation diets. You hold more water as you lose weight. Body water can be up to 50% weight. That's 125lbs of water in your body right now. It's constantly moving and shifting. What happens with dieters edema is that the fat cells can actually fill up with water. So you look the same, weigh the same... yet you still have less fat.

There are a few ways to combat dieters edema, full starvation(24hr fast) or eating at higher calorie levels such as maintenance. If i was you, I would eat at maintenance for a week, and cut back down on my calories again.

Well Said!
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    UPDATE!!!

Okay, I think I figured out whats wrong: I am simply over-eating.

Instead of calculating an AVERAGE I calculated the TOTAL on my spreadsheets and re-did some calculations.

Please be aware that for the below calculations I calculated by BMR calories assuming that my BMR is 1200 calories (yes, I'm aware this may be too low or even too high) and the calories from exercise are the calories I burned according to my heart-rate monitor.

If you take a look at my chart from July 21st - 31st, 2012 you can see that my TOTAL calorie intake was 16,394 as well as;
    - My TOTAL calories burned from my BMR alone was 12,000 calories (1200 calories x 10 days = 12,000)
    - My TOTAL calories burned from exercise was 216 calories
    - My TOTAL TDEE was 12,216 calories (12,000 + 216 = 12216)
    - My TOTAL calorie intake was 16394
    > Making my TOTAL SURPLUS from July 21st - 31st, 2012 + 4178 calories (16,394 - 12,216 = + 4178) - As you can see I ate relatively low-carb compared to the other months suggesting that water-loss is to blame to my 2.2 pound loss rather than fat-loss.

If you take a look at my chart from August 1st - 31st, 2012 you can see that my TOTAL calorie intake was 42,613, as well as;
    - My TOTAL calories burned from my BMR alone was 37,200 calories (1200 calories x 31 days = 37,200)
    - My TOTAL calories burned from exercise was 2310 calories
    - My TOTAL TDEE was 39,510 calories (37,200 + 2310 = 39,510)
    - My TOTAL calorie intake was 42,613
    > Making my TOTAL SURPLUS from August 1st - 31st, 2012 + 3103 calories (42,613 - 39,510 = + 3103) - As you can see I didn't gain nor lose any weight that month.

If you take a look at my chart from September 1st - 30th, 2012 you can see that my TOTAL calorie intake was 53,864, as well as;
    - My TOTAL calories burned from my BMR alone was 36,000 calories (1200 calories x 30 days = 36,000)
    - My TOTAL calories burned from exercise was 12,517 calories
    - My TOTAL TDEE was 48,157 calories (36,000 + 12,517 = 48,157)
    - My TOTAL calorie intake was 53,864
    > Making my TOTAL SURPLUS from September 1st - 30th, 2012 + 5707 calories (53,864 - 48,157 = + 5707) - As you can see I GAINED 5.2 pounds that month.

Now if we rewind the clock a bit, we can apply the same calculations to my loss in 2010 (when I was NOT exercising):

If you take a look at my chart from October 12th - 31st, 2010 you can see that my TOTAL calorie intake was 25,669, as well as;
    - My TOTAL calories burned from my BMR alone was 36,000 calories (1200 calories x 19 days = 22,800)
    - My TOTAL calories burned from exercise was 0 calories
    - My TOTAL TDEE was 22,800 calories (22,800 + 0 = 22,800)
    - My TOTAL calorie intake was 25,669
    > Making my TOTAL SURPLUS from October 12th - 31st, 2010 + 2869 calories (25,669 - 22,800 = + 2869) - I had a positive deficit, but there is no way to really tell why I lost 5 pounds since I started tracking my calorie intake on the 12th of that month.

If you take a look at my chart from November 1st - 30th, 2010 you can see that my TOTAL calorie intake was 30,749, as well as;
    - My TOTAL calories burned from my BMR alone was 36,000 calories (1200 calories x 30 days = 36,000)
    - My TOTAL TDEE was 36,000 calories (36,000 + 0 = 36,000)
    - My TOTAL calorie intake was 30,749
    > Making my TOTAL deficit from November 1st - 30th, 2010, - 5251 calories (30,749 - 36,000 = - 5251) - The first month with a negative deficit! - and of course, I lost 2 pounds.

If you take a look at my chart from December 1st - 31st, 2010 you can see that my TOTAL calorie intake was 31,126, as well as;
    - My TOTAL calories burned from my BMR alone was 37,200 calories (1200 calories x 31 days = 37,200)
    - My TOTAL TDEE was 37,200 calories (37,200 + 0 = 37,200)
    - My TOTAL calorie intake was 31,126
    > Making my TOTAL deficit from December 1st - 31st, 2010, - 6074 calories (31,126 - 37,200 = - 6074) - Another month with a total deficit! - and of course I lost approximately 1 pound.

If you take a look at my chart from January 1st - 31st, 2011 you can see that my TOTAL calorie intake was 38,899, as well as;
    - My TOTAL TDEE was 37,200 calories (37,200 + 0 = 37,200)
    - My TOTAL calorie intake was 38,899
    > Making my TOTAL SURPLUS from January 1st - 31st, 2011, + 1699 calories (38,899 - 37,200 = + 1699) - This month I had a POSITIVE deficit... and of course, I didn't lose any weight.

If you take a look at my chart from February 1st - 28th, 2011 you can see that my TOTAL calorie intake was 37,381, as well as;
    - My TOTAL calories burned from my BMR alone was 33,600 calories (1200 calories x 28 days = 33,600)
    - My TOTAL TDEE was 33,600 calories (33,600 + 0 = 33,600)
    - My TOTAL calorie intake was 37,381
    > Making my TOTAL SURPLUS from February 1st - 28th, 2011, + 3781 calories (37,381 - 33,600 = + 3781) - This month I had a POSITIVE deficit... and of course, I didn't lose any weight and even appeared to be GAINING weight.

October2010_zps3df4caa0.jpg
    November2010_zps0d57488c.jpg
    December2010_zpsadd26d3f.jpg
    January2011_zps4669c1d2.jpg
    February2011_zps92ab62fc.jpg
    July2012_zps0be5e9ad.jpg
    August2012_zpsafe1c450.jpg
    September2012_zpsfb8c6257.jpg

So after taking a second to redo some calculations, I think it becomes rather obvious that I'm simply eating too much, and not burning enough calories.

What do you all think?

I know this is a bit excessive, but going through all this work was the only way that I could physically SEE the pattern of my overeating, and even though it's not by much, it's enough to stall my progress.

I know that the simple rules of weight-loss are calories in or calories out, but I guess being so stubborn I just had to see these numbers roll out.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    Your august data indicates a basic everyday consumption (i.e. excluding exercise) of 1700kcal/day.

Doing the same for your september data we get instead

weight change = +5 lb. Assuming 5lb of fat => 20 350 kcal => 656 kcal/day stored
    food intake - exercise = 1795 - 417 = 1378 kcal/day

which indicates a basic everyday consumption of

1378 - 656 = 722 kcal/day

So either your metabolic rate dropped tremendeously as you increased calorie intake and exercise, or your data quality is really low. Which seems more likely to you?

WOW.

First of all, I did not gain 5 pounds of fat, so we can just stop above at your first assumption. Being that I am FEMALE, water retention plays an ENORMOUS role in my overall weight.

Second, I would bet close to anything that my data is EXTREMELY close to being accurate based upon the level of effort I put forth every day to weigh out EVERY SINGLE OUNCE that goes into my mouth. On top of that, I use 2 SEPARATE heart rate monitors (alternating between each workout) and each read off nearly the EXACT SAME calorie expenditure range during my workouts.

So to answer your question, in this case I'd have to say that your analytical quality is really low.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    But... eating just your BMR and exercise calories, it should still be under maintenance. BMR is like NO movement, add in daily living and thermic effect of food, you're still burning more than just BMR + exercise cals.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    I guess my issue here is, it's OBVIOUS that I'm operating at a deficit with my exercise. Why then am I not losing weight?

And if 1000 calories is TOO LITTLE, then why was that the ONLY time I've ever lost weight and felt good (not to mention look good)?

Well, you CANNOT be operating a deficit and not lose weight. Whatever we may not know about the complexities of how the body works, we do know enough to be sure about that.

So that leaves two possibilities: Either your data on "total calories consumed" are wrong, or your body uses less energy than you think it does. According to http://www.answers.com/topic/basal-metabolic-rate the minimum energy expenditure to just keep the body going (doing no mechanical work, e.g. lying in bed) is 1200 to 1800 kcal/day, but as low as 700 kcal/day in some individuals.

I can't *know* which of the two it is, but on the face of it, it seems more likely your data is wrong than that you have a serious metabolic condition. You are quite healthy, neither obese nor underweight, and that suggests you have a normal metabolism. Your data on the other hand seems to be all over the place. Both exercise and food intake varies a lot from day to day and also from month to month. In July you exercised on 2 days, once burning 216 kcal and the other day 1851.

You can sanity check your own data by converting weight loss into calories. Your basic everyday consumption equals the sum of calories consumed in any period minus exercise plus calories burned from fat. Fat is 9 kcal/gram whether it comes off your body's storage or in the food. I would do this calculation if your data was a table (so I could simply copy it over into Excel), but as it is an image you'll have to do it yourself.

For example, based on your Aug 2012 data, you lost 3 pounds. Assuming all of it was fat, that's 1.36kg * 9000kcal/kg = 12 240 kcal. Food intake was 31*1375 = 42 625, of which exercise took 31*75 = 2325 kcal. Based on this data your basic metabolic consumption was 12 240 + 42 625 - 2325 = 52540 kcal over 31 days, which works out to just under 1700 kcal/day. The point isn't to find out what your rate is but to check the sanity of your data, and 1700kcal/day is not completely crazy and so indicates your data for august *may* be correct.

My suggestion is that you do this same calculation for all of the other months to see whether there is any consistency. If there is not, and your data suggests a basic metabolic rate that varies wildly from month to month, I'd suspect the data rather than the metabolism if you have no other indicators of metabolic problems. If you aren't sure, take your data with you to your doctor, who should be able to investigate whether you have any metabolism issues.

One last point: The above calculation assumes all of the weight loss came from fat. This does not really matter when using it just to check if data from month to month yields consistent results, so long as the proportion of the weight loss that came from fat is about the same. But here your very variable data could be a bit of a problem. If you change the amount of carbs drastically, you also change how much water your body holds. (Btw I saw one poster say your body "can be up to 50% water"; a normal healthy body is actually about 70% water!) If you lost 1 lb of water weight in one month (eating little carbs) and regained it the next, this would greatly affect the result. To see this, assume you'd actually lost 3 lb of fat in both months. Since you lost 1 lb of water too the first month, you'll record a weight loss of 4 lb. The next month you'll record only 2 lb, half as much, even though your water weight has nothing to do with your energy balance.

I would advice you to make a moderate plan of at least 1300 kcal/day, with a fixed energy distribution between carbs, protein and fat. Then try to stick to it stringently enough that you get consistent weeks. (Being consistent on a daily basis is hard, especially when you need to watch carbs/fat/protein separately in addition to total calories. And at least I find that I need to allow myself a little more on weekends than the rest of the week. But say you get at leasts 1200kcal every day, and not more than 1400kcal per day on average in any week, and you'll be on your way, losing weight quite slowly but steadily.)

Thank you so much for your input, however, I would bet close to anything that my data is EXTREMELY close to being accurate based upon the level of effort I put forth every day to weigh out EVERY SINGLE OUNCE that goes into my mouth. On top of that, I use 2 SEPARATE heart rate monitors (alternating between each workout) and each read off nearly the EXACT SAME calorie expenditure range during my workouts.

As far as the 'extremes' in my calorie intake, it is not a reflection of the inaccuracy of my data. On the contrary, it's due to me PURPOSELY trying to cycling calories on a daily basis in an attempt to lose fat.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    But... eating just your BMR and exercise calories, it should still be under maintenance. BMR is like NO movement, add in daily living and thermic effect of food, you're still burning more than just BMR + exercise cals.

Agreed. However, that just reflects that there's even MORE of a problem :) But thank you :)
  • pickledginger
    Options

Bodies are not all alike, basal metabolic rates are not all alike, and yeah, if you gain more when you eat more, and lose when you eat less, I'd say it's pretty obvious that your metabolism is not one of the fast ones.

Sleep might help, though. It really makes a big difference, from what researchers are finding. Strength training may help. It is supposed to boost the basal body rate. Relaxation work and an anti-inflammatory diet might help, because of the way they are thought to target the hormonal systems. A more consistent diet may help, by keeping blood sugar more stable and reducing the stress response, or so I have read.

A thorough checkup sounds like a great idea, in case blood sugar or thyroid or adrenal problems are making this even harder.

A better body-fat analysis might be worth the,investment, to help make sure your goals are appropriate.

Good luck. I've never been able to get near what I want to weigh without exercising at least a couple hours a day, even when I tried an extreme liquid diet. (Then again, that diet may have caused some long-term problems.) I hope you find a better way.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    you came to the wrong place for dietary advice.

go to your doctor and then maybe a nutritionist.

you need professional advice. you will not find that here.