Please Help Me - I Don't Know What I'm Doing Wrong

Options

Replies

• invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    But... eating just your BMR and exercise calories, it should still be under maintenance. BMR is like NO movement, add in daily living and thermic effect of food, you're still burning more than just BMR + exercise cals.

Agreed. However, that just reflects that there's even MORE of a problem :) But thank you :)

How frustrating. I really do hope you find answers :/
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Have you tried measuring your basal body temperature? Taking that daily for a month or two might give some valuable data. An ovulation thermometer or basal body thermometer may be more accurate, doesn't cost much more, and reduces the risk you'll be told it must be the thermometer's fault.

(Falling outside of the center of the bell curve can be a royal pain. Sometimes that's all it is, but sometimes it really does indicate something is wrong.)

Another approach you might consider is the "leptin diet" - there are books, but most of the info you would need can be found free at wellnessresources.com. A lot of it targets appetite, which is not your problem, but a lot of it also targets the way other hormonal systems interact. Whether it would work fotlr you - who knows?

I know a lot of people are kind of panicking over your "restricted" diet. I lived for years on 900 carefully chosen calories a day. Had to bump it up a little due to illness; not loving the results.
  • browners7
    Options
    One last question guys, (I'm sorry, I know I'm changing the topic a bit, but I'd like to 'juice' the feed while I have people's attention)

Is it better to use free weights or circuit weights? Because all I have ever used are the circuit weight machines and I don't know how to 'free lift' (or whatever you call it?) with the free weights.

Or does it not really make a difference?

Wherever possible use free weights, this will enable you to strengthen your 'core' as well as isolated muscles giving you a more balanced body and the means to use your targetted muscles in a more effective way.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options

Sleep might help, though. It really makes a big difference, from what researchers are finding. Strength training may help. It is supposed to boost the basal body rate. Relaxation work and an anti-inflammatory diet might help, because of the way they are thought to target the hormonal systems. A more consistent diet may help, by keeping blood sugar more stable and reducing the stress response, or so I have read.

A thorough checkup sounds like a great idea, in case blood sugar or thyroid or adrenal problems are making this even harder.

Thank you. I do plan on getting a checkup ASAP next week just to rule out any problems.

What is an anti-inflammatory diet? I've never heard of that before.

Thank you for your input :)
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    you came to the wrong place for dietary advice.

go to your doctor and then maybe a nutritionist.

you need professional advice. you will not find that here.

Good advice. As I said before, I am seeing doctor ASAP next weeks to rule out any issues.

Any suggestions on how to go about seeing a nutritionist? I live in a relatively small town, so I'm pretty clueless.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You might not be losing weight but gaining muscle instead. THE SCALE ISNT THAT IMPORTANT! Im guessing back in 2010 your body was in starvation mode (500 calories some days? YIKES) and was losing MUSCLE not FAT, which isnt good. I wouldnt worry about this too much.

I specifically said in my post that my body fat % has stayed the same over the past 2 months - MEANING, I am not gaining muscle.

Have you even measuring other parameters? Neck, waist, hip, etc?
    You mentioned weight training. How hard do you go, what is you program?

The 30% stat for healthy is a WHO stat, not an esthetic or fitness level stat. Ignore it if you are looking for something lower. Like BMI, associating it to "healthy" is just a general guide.
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options
    Have you tried measuring your basal body temperature? Taking that daily for a month or two might give some valuable data. An ovulation thermometer or basal body thermometer may be more accurate, doesn't cost much more, and reduces the risk you'll be told it must be the thermometer's fault.

(Falling outside of the center of the bell curve can be a royal pain. Sometimes that's all it is, but sometimes it really does indicate something is wrong.)

Another approach you might consider is the "leptin diet" - there are books, but most of the info you would need can be found free at wellnessresources.com. A lot of it targets appetite, which is not your problem, but a lot of it also targets the way other hormonal systems interact. Whether it would work fotlr you - who knows?

I know a lot of people are kind of panicking over your "restricted" diet. I lived for years on 900 carefully chosen calories a day. Had to bump it up a little due to illness; not loving the results.

Thank you!

What's considered normal temperature? And doesn't it fluctuate throughout the day? - If so, when is the best time to take it to compare?

If my temperature is abnormal, what does that suggest??
  • GhirardelliAddict
    Options

Wherever possible use free weights, this will enable you to strengthen your 'core' as well as isolated muscles giving you a more balanced body and the means to use your targetted muscles in a more effective way.

Thank you much!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all your help GREATLY.

But please stop telling me that my calories are too low.

I was eating 1000 calories a day back in 2010 - when I was actually LOSING weight.

I have upped my calories and added exercise for a long time and I'm NOT losing.

Being overweight is unhealthy. 1000 calories a day isnt going to kill you. There is research that shows eating high nutrient low calorie foods may actually prolong your life. Do what works for you!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If your 5' 7" and 147 you well within the healthy weight range.
    the chart below is from the world health organization (WHO) and it shows that 30% body fat is within the healthy range as well. I like this chart because it's based on HEALTH. (Trainers use a different chart, because they want more extreme results to show "success" and if you have more extreme goals they get more work.)

Relax
    Don't stress and go to extremes. It'll only screw up your metabolism then you'll have to lose weight because of health issues and it just that much harder with a screwed up metabolism.

STAY HEALTHY. If you want to lose a few vanity pounds that's fine, but don't let it consume you. I think of all the time I wasted when I could have been having fun!

I know I sound like an old fart (maybe because I am?) but t your body is a vehicle that has to get you through your whole life. No trade-ins.

calculate-my-body-fat-percentage.gif

Now go out land have fun!!!!

"There is increased risk of co-morbidities for body mass index 25.0 to 29.9, and moderate to severe risk of co-morbidities for body mass index greater than 30. " From the WHO http://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/bmi_text/en/index.html
  • blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    You are most likely not eating enough. Are you eating your exercise calories?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_march_8.htm
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Any suggestions on how to go about seeing a nutritionist? I live in a relatively small town, so I'm pretty clueless.

[/quote]

Your Doctor should be able to refer you.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Shelves of books have been written on anti-inflammatory eating. You probably are already doing most of it.

Generally, it includes: Fish, fish oil, avocado, flaxseed and/or oil; lots of vegetables and fruit, especially dark greens and bright-colored stuff; very lean meats (get extra fats elsewhere); tofu and edamame (except in versions where soy is evil); greek yogurt, maybe some whey powder (except in versions where dairy is evil); almost no sugars or refined carbs; nuts and seeds (chia is very handy); tea, lots of herbs and spices. Ginger, turmeric, cayenne, rosemary, thyme, paprika, cocoa powder, some others, turn out to have pretty remarkable properties.

Cheers!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you didn't feel bad, maybe the low calories weren't bad for you, and maybe they weren't that low. I ate 1200 for a while, unaware that it was 50% of my TDEE, and I was very hungry and lost weight very fast.

Your burns look VERY high for someone who's not overweight. What are you doing to burn 1000kcal in exercise in a day?

I'm not sure why you'd want to argue with the WHO about what a 'healthy' body fat % is. Statistically healthy and esthetically pleasing are different things, so no, no one should be looking at you and thinking your fat percentage is unhealthy if it's around 30%.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If your 5' 7" and 147 you well within the healthy weight range.
    the chart below is from the world health organization (WHO) and it shows that 30% body fat is within the healthy range as well. I like this chart because it's based on HEALTH. (Trainers use a different chart, because they want more extreme results to show "success" and if you have more extreme goals they get more work.)

Relax
    Don't stress and go to extremes. It'll only screw up your metabolism then you'll have to lose weight because of health issues and it just that much harder with a screwed up metabolism.

STAY HEALTHY. If you want to lose a few vanity pounds that's fine, but don't let it consume you. I think of all the time I wasted when I could have been having fun!

I know I sound like an old fart (maybe because I am?) but t your body is a vehicle that has to get you through your whole life. No trade-ins.

calculate-my-body-fat-percentage.gif

Now go out land have fun!!!!

"There is increased risk of co-morbidities for body mass index 25.0 to 29.9, and moderate to severe risk of co-morbidities for body mass index greater than 30. " From the WHO http://www.who.int/gho/ncd/risk_factors/bmi_text/en/index.html

This is quoting BMI, the table is body fat %.
  • KarenontheBeach
    Options
    What I am about to say may not be exactly medically sound to most folks, but it's my personal story and experience that I lived through.

I will start by saying, I have not had healthy eating habits. But when you're young, it doesn't matter as much. I used to diet with success. Sometime near the end of college, that stopped. By the time I'd been at my full-time job for a year, I had gained 50 pounds and I was already heavy when I started. Dieting didn't work. I didn't calorie count, but I'm pretty sure on a good day I was eating 900 calories trying to lose weight and it wasn't working. Mean time, I felt terrible all the time. Migraines and headaches more days than not. I was miserable and wondering what I was going to do since I was starting to miss more and more days of work.

I tried going to my doctor. They tested my thyroid. I'm in the normal range, although just barely. But they won't help you as long as you are in the range. So... I looked else where for answers. Longer story short... I have 2 doctors. One that is a traditional MD, and the one that improves the quality of my life.

I say all this, because you asked, what is normal body temperature, and what does it mean if yours is not normal? My quality of life doctor explained it like this...
    Everything that happens in your body is a chemical reaction. If your body temperature isn't normal, then things aren't happening how or when they should. (This conversation was years ago, and I'm sure he put it much better).

Normal is 98.6. Measure it in the morning. If it's low, then it could provide some explanation. Mine was consistently 96 - 96.5. Since all this, I am now on thyroid and taking progesterone to regulate my cycle. The progesterone helps with the migraines. I now have almost no migraines and when I get a regular headache, I can just take something and it will go away. The thyroid helps my body temp be normal, and when I diet (within my normal deficit) I lose weight now. I still have to put in the work... but at least now the work actually pays off. Most importantly, I feel so much better now and feel like my goals are actually achievable.

Look up low thyroid symptoms. Not saying this is your problem, but your story just sounded similar to mine. You could have something going on that is making it harder to lose than it should be. Good luck! I hope you figure it out. Keep us posted!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    1. Your BMR is not 1200, it is about 1448. Check it here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    2. Adding your exercise calories to that does not give you your TDEE. You first have to multiply it by the activity factor. Even completely sedentary people get a 1.2, but most people are more like 1.5. So that makes your TDEE 2172 (all numbers are estimates, every human is slightly different and we cannot be put on a chart precisely).
    3. A healthy deficit is 20% of TDEE. So you should be aiming for 1737 a day, which can be rounded to 1700, since it's all estimates anyway.

This is your starting point. Eat 1700 a day and lift weights, for a FULL MONTH.
    Do NOT step on a scale during that month.
    After a full month, judge your progress by what you see in the mirror, how you feel, and how your clothes fit, not by any numbers on a box on the floor, or any numbers some dude at the gym told you while poking you with plastic things...numbers mean nothing.
    IF you do not notice ANY positive changes after that whole month, tweak your calorie intake SLIGHTLY by going down to 1600 or so, and try that for at least 3 weeks before making a decision if it has helped or not.

My personal opinion? You ate way too little for way too long, you screwed your metabolism over, and it is going to take some work to fix it. Eating 1200 or less a day again is not going to do you any long term favors. Fix your furnace so it burns properly.
  • pickledginger
    Options

Oh, please don't make me go look up the scientific citations indicating what an inferior measure the BMI height-weight chart is.

Granted, it does work moderately well - on average - for white people of average height, build and fitness.

But body fat percentage is an immensely better measure of health outcomes. So is fitness level, regardless of body fat levels. So are the various indices combining some or all of the height and hip and waist measurements.
  • pickledginger
    Options

What's considered normal temperature? And doesn't it fluctuate throughout the day? - If so, when is the best time to take it to compare?

If my temperature is abnormal, what does that suggest??
    The basal body temperature is measured as soon as you wake up, with a really accurate thermometer. The idea is to put the thermometer in your mouth the moment you are awake enough to do so, then lie still and quiet and almost asleep until it is done.

There are charts and apps intended for women trying to conceive that will help line it up with your cycle. Temp varies with cycle, but the bbt generally should be above 97. Fierce debates range over exactly where.

If it is consistently low *or* high, that can indicate illness. If it is consistently low, it can indicate your body's idle is set too low, perhaps because of thyroid disease.

It can be helpful diagnostically, and it's fairly cheap and easy. I know at least four people who got the tests they needed because they did this test.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Here are my stats for the past couple of months:

July2012Stats_zps458d0463.jpg
    August2012Stats_zps59102f2f.jpg
    September2012Stats_zpsb683c662.jpg
    October2012Stats_zpsf47cdc5a.jpg

I may be new *here* but I used to be a fitness/health fanatic and simply got off track for several years.

One thing we cannot see in your charts is WHAT you are eating.... you know, of what your caloric intake consists. If you're eating candy bars (for instance) your body is not getting the vitamins and minerals it needs to keep your motor running properly.

I'm two inches taller than you and my fat MAX for a day is 40 grams, therefore I'm sure your max could be less. When I add a workout (Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred), my fat intake MAX is 50 grams..... with that said, I noticed something on your charts that I didn't see anyone else mention - your recent averages were the following:

July - your average daily fat intake was 86.3 grams per day
    August - average daily fat intake was 93.4 grams per day
    Sept - average daily fat intake was 106.1 grams per day
    Oct - average daily fat intake (so far) was 90.4 grams per day

I see on one day your fat consumed was 163 grams - that's four times what my charts recommend sticking to..... and yes, I realize everyone is different but I'm just saying what I'm seeing with the post you provided. If you're not losing fat, that may be part of the equation right there.

To boot, none of us here have any idea what KIND of fat is producing these numbers. Chocolate? French Fries? Salmon?

If you keep your caloric/workout levels reasonably stable you'll probably see an improvement. That way your body will dial in as to "what to expect" and know what it can "keep" and "get rid of".... I have been sticking to what my chart tells me to do religiously and I've been steady with my weight loss. It's made me realize I was simply eating too much whether it was protein, carbs - whatever.

One thing that has helped me personally is I plan my meals on this site in advance. I'm talking two weeks in advance. I do it on purpose so I don't have a flub up in my numbers by the time 6pm rolls around because quite frankly I do want to eat dinner! I have my diary set so I chart what I eat every THREE hours so I am letting my body know it will be fed on a regular basis and the weight is just dropping off. I also have anything after 8pm set as the no-no zone, meaning... stop putting food in my piehole.... because anything I eat after that will just land on my *kitten* and stomach.

That's all. Now whether you take what I say into consideration or not, hope you find your answers and good luck!