is it worth the money to buy shakeology

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    this is all silly because you can return the stuff for a full refund if you DON'T like it or it doesn't work, so why do people feel so vehemently about it? there's no risk for the consumer.
    Personally for me because I'm against MLM's and quick fix diets. There are some that do great by it, but for the majority of the general population, quick fix diets are temporary and the percentage of people who regain after getting off them is very high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

you simply don't understand beachbody or shakeology if you think it's a quick fix. NO coaches advertise a quick fix. we advertise extremely hard work and dedication and a complete overhaul of your lifestyle. end of story.
    Lol, dude you're with an MLM and supplement seller....................I understand much more than you think you know. I've been in the fitness industry much longer than you are old. Beach Body is not using a new approach...........they are just disguising previous approaches (think Amway, Mary Kay, etc.) with their name.:laugh: If you don't believe that, then chalk yourself up as another sucker in their stables.

IDEA Fitness member

of course it's not a new approach, and yes they're saying you'll lose weight in 90 days etc etc, and YES there are ****ty coaches who are just salesmen making a bunch of money.

that doesn't mean we all are.

honestly, I got into it because I like helping people and the money's a bonus. i'd much rather help people and make a little money, than sell beauty products and make a boatload. I don't believe in that crap. Whether you like the company or not, you can't argue that it hasn't changed tens of thousands of people's lives . that's something i don't mind being a part of.

Yes it has. In all instances it's made there wallets lighter. That's about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UMdKSvwpaQ Man lost 234 pounds in 18 months. There are literally thousands of Beachbody success stories, and they're all real. Again, you don't have to believe it. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, though, which story do you want to believe? The story where a bunch of scientists sat in a lab and announced "this can't work!" or the story where a man lost 234 pounds in 18 months doing P90X and drinking shakeology? Personally the world I live in is a better place when I choose to believe the latter. Whether that's truth or a placebo effect MAKES NO DIFFERENCE because the man STILL LOST 234 POUNDS!

WHO CARES how he did it! Who CARES if shakeology is bull****! It worked. It worked for him and its worked for THOUSANDS of other people.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc, simply losing weight while drinking ShakeO is not proof "it works"
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    At the end of the day, though, which story do you want to believe? The story where a bunch of scientists sat in a lab and announced "this can't work!" or the story where a man lost 234 pounds in 18 months doing P90X and drinking shakeology? Personally the world I live in is a better place when I choose to believe the latter. Whether that's truth or a placebo effect MAKES NO DIFFERENCE because the man STILL LOST 234 POUNDS!

WHO CARES how he did it! Who CARES if shakeology is bull****! It worked. It worked for him and its worked for THOUSANDS of other people.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc, simply losing weight while drinking ShakeO is not proof "it works"

who cares? i'll bet people who lose 100+ pounds don't give a **** either way because it worked FOR THEM.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    and you're assuming it doesnt, thus, your hypothesis. ;)

i assume it does based on the effective dosage of the majority of supplements. I know that's also just a hypothesis, but no worse than yours.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm just going by the fact that the company and the coaches have NEVER answered this simple question. So unless that question is answered, the product is basically as effective as spanish fly.

you realize that makes no LOGICAL sense right? "something is not effective because no scientist has told me personally that it's effective" is idiocy.

you realize that science, the medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry will NEVER test supplements because they're scared they'll actually WORK and cost those industries billions. If you're only going to follow the advice of doctors, you'll be alive but sick the rest of your life.

Actually, I've made completely logical and valid sense. Now, your argument above actually makes absolutely ZERO sense. Scientists don't test supplements but they do test how the active components work in the human body. That is what supplements consists of, these components which have chemical reactions in the body. Thus like I said before, I do not care where the product is made from, where they've sourced the ingredients from, or even whom makes the product. All that is important is if it will be making health benefit claims for certain active ingredients, are these active ingredients clinically studied, peer reviewed, and provided in both the reviewed form and minimum effective dosing.

What is so hard for you to understand about this? It's very straight forward. All you're doing right now is running around in circle and being quite illusive to answering the very simple above question.

Creatine has been clinically trialed and proven. Whey protein has been clinically trialed and proven. Heck, even green coffee beans have been clinically trialed and shown to be effective along with what the active component is for fat loss effects and the minimum dosing. Calcium's synergy with vitamin D has been proven. Vitamin C has been studied to show it has pretty much no effect on fighting or preventing colds. Fish oil has been proven to lower bad cholesterol. A LOT OF THINGS HAVE BEEN PROVEN OR AT LEAST STUDIED AT LENGTH. When buying a supplement, the simple equation here is you look at the nutritional label and then you look at the dosing of the nutrients to figure out if it's underdosed or not. If it's underdosed, it's not going to be effective. Let's take creatine for example, if I took just 2 grams a day of creatine, it's not going to help my recycle ATP since for that ingredient to be effective, I need to dose that at 5 grams. Which brings me to another BB product, the P90x recovery drink. That product is so underdosed in everything that it's hilarious yet it's pushed as being this super good recovery drink. That product is actually one of the worse post workout products on the market. Period. Half a gram of creatine in that product for goodness sakes! They've obviously included the .5 gram just so they can stick creatine as a ingredient on the label. If you look at the shakeology product, it's the same nonsense, lots of things on the label but no proper dosing of any of it for it to be effective.

what IS the proper dosing in shakeology then? you seem to be an expert! or do you not know, and are you just making a hypothesis?

You're the expert on shakeology, thus I've posed the question to you. If you don't know the answer, go as BB. Simple as that, I just want to know if the ingredients that they claim to have health benefits are ingredients which are clinically studied, peer reviewed, and in the form of the active ingredients which were used for the studies and if the dosing in the Shakeology of these ingredients are provided at the minimum studied dosage from clinical studies which were peer reviewed. I mean, you're the one on here claiming the health benefits of the product, that amounts to ABSOLUTELY ZERO VALUE unless you can answer my question with a yes or a no. You telling us how you "feel" whilst using a product means nothing. Lots of people feel lots of things from using homeopathy products where they make it super powerful by diluting the active ingredient in water 100x's. Doesn't mean that the stuff actually works, just shows how strong of an effect placebo has.

i'm not an expert. i'm just a regular dude who uses and product and likes it. if you don't like it that's your choice. if you don't wanna use it i don't care! i don't think less of someone because they dont agree with me or don't react to it the same way i have. Beachbody, shakeology, etc, have really done great things for my life, and that's why I dig their products. That's it.

have you seen or read Life of Pi? if not, check it out.

because at the end of the day, you can read all the scientific studies you want. you can find a study to back up ANY position. for example I've recently been arguing about the merits of vegan based diets using the China Study. It's incredibly comprehensive, but yet some people still find arguments, studies, and science to back up THEIR position. WHich is fine!

You can put all your faith in men in lap coats whose job it is to prove things don't help, or you can put your faith in human beings and the incredible things they've accomplished. And you've literally got nothing to lose because you can send it back if that story didn't work for you.

Flame away, but I choose to believe the story with the tiger.

So essentially, you're completely unable to answer my very very very simple yes or no question and now have resorted to pointing us at life coaching type directions? So basically, you're telling us to just blindly put faith into the product.

REGARDLESS OF THAT, again, back to the P90x Recovery drink product. The proven optimum post workout dose of protein is at least 20g, the P90x Recovery drink product has only 10g. You say that a recovery drink does not need creatine but then why does the P90x Recovery drink contain creatine and why is it underdosed by a factory of 10x? Why is there so much sugar in the product (26g!!!)? What the heck is so much vitamin C doing in the product when it's been shown that vitamin c really doesn't help with recovery or even combat the common cold? Lastly, since the P90x Recovery drink is seriously a very very overpriced and not very effective product looking at the nutritional profile, what magically makes Shakeology any different? Same company manufactures it. Same coaches jumping up and down claiming how great the products are. Same claims on the label for health benefits yet everything is very underdosed. What makes Shakeology any different?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    listen. the medical industry doesn't want us dead because we won't pay. doesn't want us perfectly healthy because we won't pay. they want us alive but with some sort of chonic issue that causes us to keep coming back and taking meds.
    This seems to work well with people in Japan, Canada and other places that offer free heathcare.
    And you gotta be naive if you think that a supplement company wants you perfectly healthy and not needing their products.:laugh: Your altruism is to Beach Body.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jdooks
    Options
    I still just want the guy to answer why P90x recovery product has such a bad nutritional profile and to answer what the heck so much vitamin c is doing in there and why there's an entire bullet point on the label pointing out that the product contains creatine but there's only .5g in the product even though even if you're a tiny person, you still need at least 3-4 grams for creatine to be effective. Lastly, I want the guy to answer me about if the P90x recovery product is such a sham, what makes shakeology any different? Just because he "feels" good using it? I mean, lots of people feel that binge drinking makes them feel good but it doesn't actually mean it's good for you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    honestly, I got into it because I like helping people and the money's a bonus. i'd much rather help people and make a little money, than sell beauty products and make a boatload. I don't believe in that crap. Whether you like the company or not, you can't argue that it hasn't changed tens of thousands of people's lives. that's something i don't mind being a part of.
    I can see the point in helping people (which is why I offer advice for free on here), but endorsing a product (though you haven't really tried to sell it directly) that isn't needed in weight loss ( being very overweight/obese which is the NUMBER 1 reason for health issues) just smells of sales whether you admit to it or not.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    So essentially, you're completely unable to answer my very very very simple yes or no question and now have resorted to pointing us at life coaching type directions? So basically, you're telling us to just blindly put faith into the product.

REGARDLESS OF THAT, again, back to the P90x Recovery drink product. The proven optimum post workout dose of protein is at least 20g, the P90x Recovery drink product has only 10g. You say that a recovery drink does not need creatine but then why does the P90x Recovery drink contain creatine and why is it underdosed by a factory of 10x? Why is there so much sugar in the product (26g!!!)? What the heck is so much vitamin C doing in the product when it's been shown that vitamin c really doesn't help with recovery or even combat the common cold? Lastly, since the P90x Recovery drink is seriously a very very overpriced and not very effective product looking at the nutritional profile, what magically makes Shakeology any different? Same company manufactures it. Same coaches jumping up and down claiming how great the products are. Same claims on the label for health benefits yet everything is very underdosed. What makes Shakeology any different?

1) your vitamin C comment is silly
    2) every recovery drink is high in sugar. sugar is what the body needs to bring your insulin levels back to normal after an intense workout. it's an industry standard that the ratio of simple carb to protein be anywhere from 3-5:1
    3) the creatine? yeah, that's a good question. I add extra to it.

shakeology is a completely different product with a completely different profile used for completely different things.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    this is all silly because you can return the stuff for a full refund if you DON'T like it or it doesn't work, so why do people feel so vehemently about it? there's no risk for the consumer.
    Personally for me because I'm against MLM's and quick fix diets. There are some that do great by it, but for the majority of the general population, quick fix diets are temporary and the percentage of people who regain after getting off them is very high.

IDEA Fitness member

you simply don't understand beachbody or shakeology if you think it's a quick fix. NO coaches advertise a quick fix. we advertise extremely hard work and dedication and a complete overhaul of your lifestyle. end of story.
    Lol, dude you're with an MLM and supplement seller....................I understand much more than you think you know. I've been in the fitness industry much longer than you are old. Beach Body is not using a new approach...........they are just disguising previous approaches (think Amway, Mary Kay, etc.) with their name.:laugh: If you don't believe that, then chalk yourself up as another sucker in their stables.

IDEA Fitness member

of course it's not a new approach, and yes they're saying you'll lose weight in 90 days etc etc, and YES there are ****ty coaches who are just salesmen making a bunch of money.

that doesn't mean we all are.

honestly, I got into it because I like helping people and the money's a bonus. i'd much rather help people and make a little money, than sell beauty products and make a boatload. I don't believe in that crap. Whether you like the company or not, you can't argue that it hasn't changed tens of thousands of people's lives . that's something i don't mind being a part of.

Yes it has. In all instances it's made there wallets lighter. That's about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UMdKSvwpaQ Man lost 234 pounds in 18 months. There are literally thousands of Beachbody success stories, and they're all real. Again, you don't have to believe it. :)

Save the lame testimonials that prove nothing except what one person believes and put up some actual data that demonstrated efficacy or be quiet. Enough with the anecdotal n=1. Prove it or go away. Anecdotes are not proof. Slow learner aren't you?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    This seems to work well with people in Japan, Canada and other places that offer free heathcare.
    And you gotta be naive if you think that a supplement company wants you perfectly healthy and not needing their products.:laugh: Your altruism is to Beach Body.

IDEA Fitness member

People in Japan and China don't eat as badly as Americans do. Red meat, processed foods, etc are not NEARLY as prevalent in the East.

Read The China Study before saying things of which you know not. :P
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Save the lame testimonials that prove nothing except what one person believes and put up some actual data that demonstrated efficacy or be quiet. Enough with the anecdotal n=1. Prove it or go away. Anecdotes are not proof. Slow learner aren't you?

1) we don't have to be ****s to have a discussion
    2) so... i don't get it... you don't believe that Richard Neal actually lost the weight? or that he did it w/ Beachbody products? I'm confused.
  • Shaylam82
    Shaylam82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I read 6+ pages of this.

Anyway, I'm not a coach and I drink Shakeology. Is it pricey?? YES but I am rushed in the morning, it doesn't spike my sugar (Type II Diabetic), and it tastes fine. My Dr. said I could drink it and I prefer it over Glucerna. That being said, I am feeling much healthier an my sugar levels are doing great (based on my meter that I have to do 3 times a day haven't gotten an update on A1C). Drinking my shake in the morning helps set my tone for the rest of the day. For me its about staying focused. Could be all in my head, but whatever works so long as I keep my sugar controlled and lose some weight. Now I have done other things like clean up my diet, watch my carb intake, workout, etc but drinking the Shakeology in the morning reminds me to stay on track. I actually like BB products (currently doing Power 90) and think that everything is going well so far. Everything is not for everybody. You just have to find what works for you.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    of course you don't NEED shakeology. no one needs ANY supplementation if they can eat clean 100% of the time. unfortunately that's literally impossible because GMOs, hormones, and antibiotics in today's food supply.
    By your logic used earlier, all Monsanto needs to do is hire some celebrities to endorse GMOs and that would prove they are good for you.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I can't believe I read 6+ pages of this.

Anyway, I'm not a coach and I drink Shakeology. Is it pricey?? YES but I am rushed in the monring, it doesn't spike my sugar (Type II Diabetic), and it tastes fine. My Dr. said I could drink it and I prefer it over Glucerna. That being said, I am feeling much healthier an my sugar levels are doing great (based on my meter that I have to do 3 times a day haven't gotten an update on A1C). Drinking my shake in the morning helps set my tone for the rest of the day. For me its about staying focused. Could be all in my head, but whatever works so long as I keep my sugar controlled and lose some weight. Now I have done other things like clean up my diet, watch my carb intake, workout, etc but drinking the Shakeology in the morning reminds me to stay on track. I actually like BB products (currently doing Power 90) and think that everything is going well so far. Everything is not for everybody. You just have to find what works for you.

agreed. :)
  • jdooks
    Options

1) your vitamin C comment is silly
    2) every recovery drink is high in sugar. sugar is what the body needs to bring your insulin levels back to normal after an intense workout. it's an industry standard that the ratio of simple carb to protein be anywhere from 3-5:1
    3) the creatine? yeah, that's a good question. I add extra to it.

shakeology is a completely different product with a completely different profile used for completely different things.

1) How is the vitamin c comment silly? It's proven to be of little use for recovery and proven to be of no effect on the common cold.

2) Sugar is needed to spike your insulin, but you don't need ANYWHERE near 26g of it. Syntha 6 only has 2g of sugar and that product works remarkably well.

3) The creatine was clearly put in there just so they can claim that it contains creatine. Simple as that. Just like how they provide a high amount of vitamin C in there, because people assume that vitamin c must be good for you if it fights off things like the common cold (which have been proven to not be true, vitamin c in fact does not affect the common cold at all).

So basically, you're making lots of excuses yet again without being able to really answer the underlying question which is, why is the dosing so woefully underdosed on these products? Since they are so woefully underdosed, what magically makes them effective then? Underdosing is basically the foundation of modern homeopathy and we all know how completely ridiculous homeopathy is.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    of course you don't NEED shakeology. no one needs ANY supplementation if they can eat clean 100% of the time. unfortunately that's literally impossible because GMOs, hormones, and antibiotics in today's food supply.
    By your logic used earlier, all Monsanto needs to do is hire some celebrities to endorse GMOs and that would prove they are good for you.

in what world did I say that? read Shaylam's post. My clients' blood work consistently comes back better. cholesterol levels drop dramatically. those are actual results, not celebrity endorsements... and Beachbody doesn't even USE celebrity endorsements! Tony Horton is only a celebrity BECAUSE it works. hilarious.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

People in Japan and China don't eat as badly as Americans do. Red meat, processed foods, etc are not NEARLY as prevalent in the East.

Read The China Study before saying things of which you know not. :P
    You must not visit the Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore, etc. much. SPAM is a staple in Asia!! Yes, I am Asian and was there 2 years ago, so unless they changed everything in 2 years, your assumption is wrong. There are tons of processed foods in Asia. So why no issue with weight? Because of portion control.:laugh:

And the China Study? Lol, you're influenced by some shoddy research bud.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jdooks
    Options

in what world did I say that? read Shaylam's post. My clients' blood work consistently comes back better. cholesterol levels drop dramatically. those are actual results, not celebrity endorsements... and Beachbody doesn't even USE celebrity endorsements! Tony Horton is only a celebrity BECAUSE it works. hilarious.

Yet I've achieved the same without Shakeology, have a resting hr of 67/68, and I eat McD's 3-4 times a week. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

By the way, my cholesterol levels were never bad, but they were significantly lowered after a few months of popping fish oil. So, what's so magical about Shakeology again?!?
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is bull****.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yet I've achieved the same without Shakeology, have a resting hr of 67/68, and I eat McD's 3-4 times a week. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

hey man, if you don't mind eating cow entrails and chemicals, then more power to ya!

with that, I am done.

we're all free to make our own choices. that's what's cool about all this. have a good one y'all. :)