Options

Replies

• TinaCleg
    Options
    I use Labrada Lean Body for her and it taste great. About $2.80 per packet
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options

prove to me it isn't. see, we're both hypothesizing with no info to back it up, except for the fact that i don't get sick and my digestion and energy levels are awesome. :)

Yes it's worth it. But to be honest with you, you are asking a very biased crowd here on MFP. The majority of MFP'ers will be happy to point you to Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, super high protein fad diets, high carb diets, Engine 2 diet and many more that they have never used and have barely read about. But if you mention Shakeology, Advocare or any other item of the sort you will get the trolls coming out saying it's not worth it. Even the ones that try it, and then say it didn't do anything after 1 week of use....well let's be honest. Using anything for 1 week or even 1 month isn't going to make you look like Adonis or give you so much energy you'll be jumping/bouncing off the walls. If someone told you that Shakeology will give you loads of energy just with the first use.....WRONG. If someone told you that you will drop 30 pounds in one month using Shakeology......WRONG. Shakeology is much more than just a "protein shake" (as many seem to have labeled in this thread). It helps build your immune system thru natural ingredients and after longer use of the product and continued exercise, YES you will start to get more energy. On the other hand, those that have used it will be biased to say that yes it's worth it. Guess what, I use it and have for over a year. I completed 2 round of P90X before using any Beachbody supplements. I was still sluggish/groggy during the day and had tons of cravings all the time. I wasn't eating nearly as clean as I would have liked to. So I cleaned up my nutrition. Still little change in how I felt overall. So on my 3rd round of P90X I ordered Shakeology and P90X R&R. Took about a month or so (yes I continued on with P90X and cleaning up my nutrition) and my cravings started to go away and were finally gone. I had also hit a weight loss plateau at 192 pounds. Adding in Shakeology once a day broke that plateau. How do I know? Because I tried breaking the plateau for 2 months using exercise and nutrition alone. Didn't work for me. Shakeology did.

So the honest response, if someone has approached you about using it. You've got nothing to lose except weight/body fat for trying it, though I will say it's best that you present the ingredient list to your doctor if you have any history or family history of different medical conditions. Oh, NOT just for Shakeology, but for ANY supplement you purchase and use, take the ingredient list to your doctor or nutritionist and make sure it isn't gonna hurt you. If you don't like it or it doesn't work. Don't use it. It's a tool to help you reach your goal.

And by the sounds of it, you need to get some skin in the game to stick with your weight loss goals. The majority of folks I see go the super cheap or free route......take off some weight and then gain it back. Because they don't have anything invested in getting to their goals.

Thanks for this answer.... I had been on the fence, as it is a hefty investment considering you have to use it more than once! :)
    I will definately be "investing' in my health with Shakeology.....
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    this is all silly because you can return the stuff for a full refund if you DON'T like it or it doesn't work, so why do people feel so vehemently about it? there's no risk for the consumer.
    Personally for me because I'm against MLM's and quick fix diets. There are some that do great by it, but for the majority of the general population, quick fix diets are temporary and the percentage of people who regain after getting off them is very high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

you simply don't understand beachbody or shakeology if you think it's a quick fix. NO coaches advertise a quick fix. we advertise extremely hard work and dedication and a complete overhaul of your lifestyle. end of story.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    and you're assuming it doesnt, thus, your hypothesis. ;)

i assume it does based on the effective dosage of the majority of supplements. I know that's also just a hypothesis, but no worse than yours.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm just going by the fact that the company and the coaches have NEVER answered this simple question. So unless that question is answered, the product is basically as effective as spanish fly.

you realize that makes no LOGICAL sense right? "something is not effective because no scientist has told me personally that it's effective" is idiocy.

you realize that science, the medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry will NEVER test supplements because they're scared they'll actually WORK and cost those industries billions. If you're only going to follow the advice of doctors, you'll be alive but sick the rest of your life.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

prove to me it isn't. see, we're both hypothesizing with no info to back it up, except for the fact that i don't get sick and my digestion and energy levels are awesome. :)

Yes it's worth it. But to be honest with you, you are asking a very biased crowd here on MFP. The majority of MFP'ers will be happy to point you to Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, super high protein fad diets, high carb diets, Engine 2 diet and many more that they have never used and have barely read about. But if you mention Shakeology, Advocare or any other item of the sort you will get the trolls coming out saying it's not worth it. Even the ones that try it, and then say it didn't do anything after 1 week of use....well let's be honest. Using anything for 1 week or even 1 month isn't going to make you look like Adonis or give you so much energy you'll be jumping/bouncing off the walls. If someone told you that Shakeology will give you loads of energy just with the first use.....WRONG. If someone told you that you will drop 30 pounds in one month using Shakeology......WRONG. Shakeology is much more than just a "protein shake" (as many seem to have labeled in this thread). It helps build your immune system thru natural ingredients and after longer use of the product and continued exercise, YES you will start to get more energy. On the other hand, those that have used it will be biased to say that yes it's worth it. Guess what, I use it and have for over a year. I completed 2 round of P90X before using any Beachbody supplements. I was still sluggish/groggy during the day and had tons of cravings all the time. I wasn't eating nearly as clean as I would have liked to. So I cleaned up my nutrition. Still little change in how I felt overall. So on my 3rd round of P90X I ordered Shakeology and P90X R&R. Took about a month or so (yes I continued on with P90X and cleaning up my nutrition) and my cravings started to go away and were finally gone. I had also hit a weight loss plateau at 192 pounds. Adding in Shakeology once a day broke that plateau. How do I know? Because I tried breaking the plateau for 2 months using exercise and nutrition alone. Didn't work for me. Shakeology did.

So the honest response, if someone has approached you about using it. You've got nothing to lose except weight/body fat for trying it, though I will say it's best that you present the ingredient list to your doctor if you have any history or family history of different medical conditions. Oh, NOT just for Shakeology, but for ANY supplement you purchase and use, take the ingredient list to your doctor or nutritionist and make sure it isn't gonna hurt you. If you don't like it or it doesn't work. Don't use it. It's a tool to help you reach your goal.

And by the sounds of it, you need to get some skin in the game to stick with your weight loss goals. The majority of folks I see go the super cheap or free route......take off some weight and then gain it back. Because they don't have anything invested in getting to their goals.

Thanks for this answer.... I had been on the fence, as it is a hefty investment considering you have to use it more than once! :)
    I will definately be "investing' in my health with Shakeology.....

please let us know your experience with it! :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

i assume it does based on the effective dosage of the majority of supplements. I know that's also just a hypothesis, but no worse than yours.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm just going by the fact that the company and the coaches have NEVER answered this simple question. So unless that question is answered, the product is basically as effective as spanish fly.

you realize that makes no LOGICAL sense right? "something is not effective because no scientist has told me personally that it's effective" is idiocy.

you realize that science, the medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry will NEVER test supplements because they're scared they'll actually WORK and cost those industries billions. If you're only going to follow the advice of doctors, you'll be alive but sick the rest of your life.

This is pretty assanine
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Tinfoil hat much?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Tinfoil hat much?

it's up to you what you want to believe.

listen. the medical industry doesn't want us dead because we won't pay. doesn't want us perfectly healthy because we won't pay. they want us alive but with some sort of chonic issue that causes us to keep coming back and taking meds.

if you don't believe it then you're living in a non-capitalist la-la-land. I've had multiple clients get off their cholesterol meds, much to the chagrin of their doctors. One in particular went in for a check up, and the doctor was ecstatic at his blood work and asked what he was doing. He replied that he'd been off his meds for a month, but has been working out and eating better and drinking shakeology. His exact words were "and she suddenly looked upset and said that I really shouldn't stop taking the meds, even though my numbers were now in the healthy range!"

another friend was PAID by a major pharmaceutical to impersonate a doctor at a convention. gave him lines to read about how great the product was. another was paid to be an "investor" filling up a seat in the auditorium to make it look like this new drug was really popular.

yep. model of altruism there.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Actually, I've made completely logical and valid sense. Now, your argument above actually makes absolutely ZERO sense. Scientists don't test supplements but they do test how the active components work in the human body. That is what supplements consists of, these components which have chemical reactions in the body. Thus like I said before, I do not care where the product is made from, where they've sourced the ingredients from, or even whom makes the product. All that is important is if it will be making health benefit claims for certain active ingredients, are these active ingredients clinically studied, peer reviewed, and provided in both the reviewed form and minimum effective dosing.

What is so hard for you to understand about this? It's very straight forward. All you're doing right now is running around in circle and being quite illusive to answering the very simple above question.

Creatine has been clinically trialed and proven. Whey protein has been clinically trialed and proven. Heck, even green coffee beans have been clinically trialed and shown to be effective along with what the active component is for fat loss effects and the minimum dosing. Calcium's synergy with vitamin D has been proven. Vitamin C has been studied to show it has pretty much no effect on fighting or preventing colds. Fish oil has been proven to lower bad cholesterol. A LOT OF THINGS HAVE BEEN PROVEN OR AT LEAST STUDIED AT LENGTH. When buying a supplement, the simple equation here is you look at the nutritional label and then you look at the dosing of the nutrients to figure out if it's underdosed or not. If it's underdosed, it's not going to be effective. Let's take creatine for example, if I took just 2 grams a day of creatine, it's not going to help my recycle ATP since for that ingredient to be effective, I need to dose that at 5 grams. Which brings me to another BB product, the P90x recovery drink. That product is so underdosed in everything that it's hilarious yet it's pushed as being this super good recovery drink. That product is actually one of the worse post workout products on the market. Period. Half a gram of creatine in that product for goodness sakes! They've obviously included the .5 gram just so they can stick creatine as a ingredient on the label. If you look at the shakeology product, it's the same nonsense, lots of things on the label but no proper dosing of any of it for it to be effective.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

This is pretty assanine

learn how to spell asinine of you're going to insult someone with it. ;)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Actually, I've made completely logical and valid sense. Now, your argument above actually makes absolutely ZERO sense. Scientists don't test supplements but they do test how the active components work in the human body. That is what supplements consists of, these components which have chemical reactions in the body. Thus like I said before, I do not care where the product is made from, where they've sourced the ingredients from, or even whom makes the product. All that is important is if it will be making health benefit claims for certain active ingredients, are these active ingredients clinically studied, peer reviewed, and provided in both the reviewed form and minimum effective dosing.

What is so hard for you to understand about this? It's very straight forward. All you're doing right now is running around in circle and being quite illusive to answering the very simple above question.

Creatine has been clinically trialed and proven. Whey protein has been clinically trialed and proven. Heck, even green coffee beans have been clinically trialed and shown to be effective along with what the active component is for fat loss effects and the minimum dosing. Calcium's synergy with vitamin D has been proven. Vitamin C has been studied to show it has pretty much no effect on fighting or preventing colds. Fish oil has been proven to lower bad cholesterol. A LOT OF THINGS HAVE BEEN PROVEN OR AT LEAST STUDIED AT LENGTH. When buying a supplement, the simple equation here is you look at the nutritional label and then you look at the dosing of the nutrients to figure out if it's underdosed or not. If it's underdosed, it's not going to be effective. Let's take creatine for example, if I took just 2 grams a day of creatine, it's not going to help my recycle ATP since for that ingredient to be effective, I need to dose that at 5 grams. Which brings me to another BB product, the P90x recovery drink. That product is so underdosed in everything that it's hilarious yet it's pushed as being this super good recovery drink. That product is actually one of the worse post workout products on the market. Period. Half a gram of creatine in that product for goodness sakes! They've obviously included the .5 gram just so they can stick creatine as a ingredient on the label. If you look at the shakeology product, it's the same nonsense, lots of things on the label but no proper dosing of any of it for it to be effective.

what IS the proper dosing in shakeology then? you seem to be an expert! or do you not know, and are you just making a hypothesis?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

what IS the proper dosing in shakeology then? you seem to be an expert! or do you not know, and are you just making a hypothesis?

You seemed to gloss over this, which I posted

Your response should simply be, can you provide me any peer reviewed research showing that oral supplementation of any of the ingredients have been shown to work synergistically together in humans.

And you could ask him about this, the latest blog posting on Yacon (http://www.shakeology.com/web/shakeology/the-blog). The studies that were linked to had subjects consume Yacon syrup (not powder like ShakeO) in dosages ranging from .14-.29g per/kg of bodyweight in one study to 20g a day in another study, yet the entire prop blend that contains Yacon is only 1.15g. So if a person weighed 18lbs and the entire blend was Yacon, maybe it might be of some benefit. OR it's much more likely that it's severely underdosed.

Yacon syrup: beneficial effects on obesity and insulin resistance in humans. Clin Nutr. 2009 Apr;28(2):182-7. Epub 2009 Feb 28.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19254816
    "We used two doses of yacon syrup, 0.29 g and 0.14 g fructooligosaccharides/kg/day"

Effect of Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) on Colonic Transit Time in Healthy Volunteers
    Digestion 2008;78:30-33
    http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?typ=fulltext&file=000155214

"in a dose of 20 g daily"
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    also, you don't need creatine for a recovery drink to be effective. depends on your goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    this is all silly because you can return the stuff for a full refund if you DON'T like it or it doesn't work, so why do people feel so vehemently about it? there's no risk for the consumer.
    Personally for me because I'm against MLM's and quick fix diets. There are some that do great by it, but for the majority of the general population, quick fix diets are temporary and the percentage of people who regain after getting off them is very high.

IDEA Fitness member

you simply don't understand beachbody or shakeology if you think it's a quick fix. NO coaches advertise a quick fix. we advertise extremely hard work and dedication and a complete overhaul of your lifestyle. end of story.
    Lol, dude you're with an MLM and supplement seller....................I understand much more than you think you know. I've been in the fitness industry much longer than you are old. Beach Body is not using a new approach...........they are just disguising previous approaches (think Amway, Mary Kay, etc.) with their name.:laugh: If you don't believe that, then chalk yourself up as another sucker in their stables.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jdooks
    Options

You're the expert on shakeology, thus I've posed the question to you. If you don't know the answer, go as BB. Simple as that, I just want to know if the ingredients that they claim to have health benefits are ingredients which are clinically studied, peer reviewed, and in the form of the active ingredients which were used for the studies and if the dosing in the Shakeology of these ingredients are provided at the minimum studied dosage from clinical studies which were peer reviewed. I mean, you're the one on here claiming the health benefits of the product, that amounts to ABSOLUTELY ZERO VALUE unless you can answer my question with a yes or a no. You telling us how you "feel" whilst using a product means nothing. Lots of people feel lots of things from using homeopathy products where they make it super powerful by diluting the active ingredient in water 100x's. Doesn't mean that the stuff actually works, just shows how strong of an effect placebo has.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Lol, and more fallacy. Go read the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. They've tested several hundred natural ingredients to see the results on metabolism and hormones.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CoachReddy
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, dude you're with an MLM and supplement seller....................I understand much more than you think you know. I've been in the fitness industry much longer than you are old. Beach Body is not using a new approach...........they are just disguising previous approaches (think Amway, Mary Kay, etc.) with their name.:laugh: If you don't believe that, then chalk yourself up as another sucker in their stables.

IDEA Fitness member

of course it's not a new approach, and yes they're saying you'll lose weight in 90 days etc etc, and YES there are ****ty coaches who are just salesmen making a bunch of money.

that doesn't mean we all are.

honestly, I got into it because I like helping people and the money's a bonus. i'd much rather help people and make a little money, than sell beauty products and make a boatload. I don't believe in that crap. Whether you like the company or not, you can't argue that it hasn't changed tens of thousands of people's lives. that's something i don't mind being a part of.
  • jdooks
    Options
    also, you don't need creatine for a recovery drink to be effective. depends on your goals.

Then why did they include creatine in the P90x recovery drink? Why is it even in there if recovery drinks do not need it to be effective? Why is it underdosed by a factor of 10x since it's included in the P90x recovery product? Why is the protein content underdosed in the P90x recovery product by roughly 1/2 of the clinically proven optimum amount of protein to be taken post-workout? Why does the stuff contain so much vitamin C when vitamin C has been clinically studied and shown to really have no impact on post-workout recovery as well as even fighting off the common cold? Why is there so much sugar in the stuff (26g!!!!)? If the P90x recovery drink product has such a ridiculously useless nutritional profile for a post-workout recovery product, what magically makes Shakeology any different?

Lastly, why are you making so many excuses here yet fail at answering a very straightforward and simple yes or no question?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

of course it's not a new approach, and yes they're saying you'll lose weight in 90 days etc etc, and YES there are ****ty coaches who are just salesmen making a bunch of money.

that doesn't mean we all are.

honestly, I got into it because I like helping people and the money's a bonus. i'd much rather help people and make a little money, than sell beauty products and make a boatload. I don't believe in that crap. Whether you like the company or not, you can't argue that it hasn't changed tens of thousands of people's lives . that's something i don't mind being a part of.

Yes it has. In all instances it's made there wallets lighter. That's about it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You're the expert on shakeology, thus I've posed the question to you. If you don't know the answer, go as BB. Simple as that, I just want to know if the ingredients that they claim to have health benefits are ingredients which are clinically studied, peer reviewed, and in the form of the active ingredients which were used for the studies and if the dosing in the Shakeology of these ingredients are provided at the minimum studied dosage from clinical studies which were peer reviewed. I mean, you're the one on here claiming the health benefits of the product, that amounts to ABSOLUTELY ZERO VALUE unless you can answer my question with a yes or a no. You telling us how you "feel" whilst using a product means nothing. Lots of people feel lots of things from using homeopathy products where they make it super powerful by diluting the active ingredient in water 100x's. Doesn't mean that the stuff actually works, just shows how strong of an effect placebo has.

i'm not an expert. i'm just a regular dude who uses and product and likes it. if you don't like it that's your choice. if you don't wanna use it i don't care! i don't think less of someone because they dont agree with me or don't react to it the same way i have. Beachbody, shakeology, etc, have really done great things for my life, and that's why I dig their products. That's it.

have you seen or read Life of Pi? if not, check it out.

because at the end of the day, you can read all the scientific studies you want. you can find a study to back up ANY position. for example I've recently been arguing about the merits of vegan based diets using the China Study. It's incredibly comprehensive, but yet some people still find arguments, studies, and science to back up THEIR position. WHich is fine!

At the end of the day, though, which story do you want to believe? The story where a bunch of scientists sat in a lab and announced "this can't work!" or the story where a man lost 234 pounds in 18 months doing P90X and drinking shakeology? Personally the world I live in is a better place when I choose to believe the latter. Whether that's truth or a placebo effect MAKES NO DIFFERENCE because the man STILL LOST 234 POUNDS!

WHO CARES how he did it! Who CARES if shakeology is bull****! It worked. It worked for him and its worked for THOUSANDS of other people.

You can put all your faith in men in lap coats whose job it is to prove things don't help, or you can put your faith in human beings and the incredible things they've accomplished. And you've literally got nothing to lose because you can send it back if that story didn't work for you.

Flame away, but I choose to believe the story with the tiger.