is it worth the money to buy shakeology

Options
shake from beachbody?
Is it worth the investment? & what makes it more superior/ inferior to other protein shakes?

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    As an ex-Beachbody coach I will tell you I thought they were extremely chalky...and for the money I didn't feel they were worth the cost. I'd drink it and in an hour be hungrier than before drinking it...that was my experience.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    shake from beachbody?
    Is it worth the investment? & what makes it more superior/ inferior to other protein shakes?

No
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    shake from beachbody?

No

This
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I never got any benefit from it. the tropical flavor was pretty tasty with a little orange juice. the chocolate was disgusting.

i got greens and reds powders from vitamin shoppe and theyre damn near identical to shakeology when you add a scoop to your whey.

if you have a coach, ask for samples. its worth the money.if you genuinely enjoy the taste, but it isnt worth crap if you never drink it.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    NO
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Shakology, but I have tried many protein powders. I personally love About Time Whey Protein Isolate. All the flavours taste great and its one of the cleanest whey proteins on the market.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity, why do you folks say it's not worth it? i drink shakeology every day and absolutely love it. it's $4/shake... how much is your startbucks frappuccino? Go to the gym and get a shake there, what's it run you? 4? 5? 6?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity, why do you folks say it's not worth it? i drink shakeology every day and absolutely love it. it's $4/shake... how much is your startbucks frappuccino? Go to the gym and get a shake there, what's it run you? 4? 5? 6?

Lol, Shakeology is extremely overpriced for the profile of the product.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    can you explain that? what's wrong with the profile?
  • Acg67
    Options
    can you explain that? what's wrong with the profile?

Look at the prop blends, look at the number of ingredients in each one, then look at what efficacious dosages of said ingredients that show any benefits to humans, then ask yourself if it is extremely underdosed or properly dosed. Then factor in price to similar products and draw your own conclusion
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Antioxidant Blend is 13g or 13,000mg. There are 16 ingredients. Break that down and it's over 800mg per ingredient. that seems sufficient to me...

and as with ANY supplement, it's more effective with prolonged and consistent use.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Antioxidant Blend is 13g or 13,000mg. There are 16 ingredients. Break that down and it's over 800mg per ingredient. that seems sufficient to me...

and as with ANY supplement, it's more effective with prolonged and consistent use.

You are making the assumption that the blend is divided out equally, which is most likely a false assumption
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As far as other scams go, I suppose it's not a bad deal.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You are making the assumption that the blend is divided out equally, which is most likely a false assumption

prove to me it isn't. see, we're both hypothesizing with no info to back it up, except for the fact that i don't get sick and my digestion and energy levels are awesome. :)
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I use to like the chocolate Shakeology before they changed the formula:/
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options

prove to me it isn't. see, we're both hypothesizing with no info to back it up, except for the fact that i don't get sick and my digestion and energy levels are awesome. :)

Yes it's worth it. But to be honest with you, you are asking a very biased crowd here on MFP. The majority of MFP'ers will be happy to point you to Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, super high protein fad diets, high carb diets, Engine 2 diet and many more that they have never used and have barely read about. But if you mention Shakeology, Advocare or any other item of the sort you will get the trolls coming out saying it's not worth it. Even the ones that try it, and then say it didn't do anything after 1 week of use....well let's be honest. Using anything for 1 week or even 1 month isn't going to make you look like Adonis or give you so much energy you'll be jumping/bouncing off the walls. If someone told you that Shakeology will give you loads of energy just with the first use.....WRONG. If someone told you that you will drop 30 pounds in one month using Shakeology......WRONG. Shakeology is much more than just a "protein shake" (as many seem to have labeled in this thread). It helps build your immune system thru natural ingredients and after longer use of the product and continued exercise, YES you will start to get more energy. On the other hand, those that have used it will be biased to say that yes it's worth it. Guess what, I use it and have for over a year. I completed 2 round of P90X before using any Beachbody supplements. I was still sluggish/groggy during the day and had tons of cravings all the time. I wasn't eating nearly as clean as I would have liked to. So I cleaned up my nutrition. Still little change in how I felt overall. So on my 3rd round of P90X I ordered Shakeology and P90X R&R. Took about a month or so (yes I continued on with P90X and cleaning up my nutrition) and my cravings started to go away and were finally gone. I had also hit a weight loss plateau at 192 pounds. Adding in Shakeology once a day broke that plateau. How do I know? Because I tried breaking the plateau for 2 months using exercise and nutrition alone. Didn't work for me. Shakeology did.

So the honest response, if someone has approached you about using it. You've got nothing to lose except weight/body fat for trying it, though I will say it's best that you present the ingredient list to your doctor if you have any history or family history of different medical conditions. Oh, NOT just for Shakeology, but for ANY supplement you purchase and use, take the ingredient list to your doctor or nutritionist and make sure it isn't gonna hurt you. If you don't like it or it doesn't work. Don't use it. It's a tool to help you reach your goal.

And by the sounds of it, you need to get some skin in the game to stick with your weight loss goals. The majority of folks I see go the super cheap or free route......take off some weight and then gain it back. Because they don't have anything invested in getting to their goals.
  • Acg67
    Options

Beachbody has already said they won't divulge their prop blends, it is common in the supplement industry to use prop blends and tons of ingredients to make the profile more attractive, yet many are just put in minuscule amounts so they can add another ingredient to the label. Seeing the other crap beachbody puts out as supps, it wouldn't surprise me that shakeO is equally or crappier than their other supps
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    give me another company that only uses natural and non-synthetic ingredients.

but then again, you don't mind ingesting chemicals. :)
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has already said they won't divulge their prop blends, it is common in the supplement industry to use prop blends and tons of ingredients to make the profile more attractive, yet many are just put in minuscule amounts so they can add another ingredient to the label. Seeing the other crap beachbody puts out as supps, it wouldn't surprise me that shakeO is equally or crappier than their other supps

Looks like they have divulged the proprietary blend:
    http://www.shakeology.com/the-shake/-/dl_get_file/4d404425-77b7-49c2-8b1d-983848eeaa85
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Looks like they have divulged the proprietary blend:
    http://www.shakeology.com/the-shake/-/dl_get_file/4d404425-77b7-49c2-8b1d-983848eeaa85

how dare you