Do you drink any diet soda?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Tinfoil hat much?

piratesarecool.jpg

you should consider adding something constructive to the conversation next time you post. ;)
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I used to drink one a day but since there is not one thing about diet or any soda that benefits my body in some form, I no longer drink it. I may have one on occasion but last week I had one and didn't like the way I felt and threw half of it away.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was wondering if its Okay to drink diet Pepsi, diet soda while trying to lose weight..
    I read some people say it's still will make you fat and some says its Okay.
    So i decided to ask you guys!
    :D
    Various sites turned up by Google reiterate the oft repeated MFP mantra that drinking "soda" blocks weight loss - I know nothing about this. I drink about one glass of diet lemonade a week.
    However ( there always is a 'however', isn't there) the "Clean taste of coke" (and all other cola derived drinks) is phosphoric acid so when you feel that Fizz it is your teeth dissolving as much as the bubbles.

So, a glass or two now and again may be okay-ish but better not substitute gallons of the stuff - (even the diet varieties) - and chew gum to stimulate acid-neutralising saliva flow rather than brushing your teeth after since the abrasive toothpaste and brushing action on the softened enamel is like using a file.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I love Dt Mt Dew. A friend showed me an article on MSBN.com about diet drinks and the side effects.
    It makes you think about giving it up but I dont know if I can :laugh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking one right now.

I believe the dental concerns are valid. The artificial sweetener concerns are really over-hyped. If you don't have PKU and artificial sweetener doesn't give you migraines, then it's fine.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i dont see the point of drinking it unless you put vodka in there too.
    Now this... I like!!:laugh:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I do drink diet soda while I'm at work....since its free....I make sure to put lots of ice in it, so ultimately its mostly water. I don't buy it to have at home very often anymore. And rarely order it at restaurants.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Made the personal decision 3 years ago to go cold turkey on the soda. I was drinking a 2 liter of diet soda a day. I'll be honest, all the caffeine was giving me some serious diarrhea. I thought I'd fell better without all the chemicals. I've had two cans of diet soda in the lat 3 years and got a horrible headache each time. Just not worth it for me.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    i dont see the point of drinking it unless you put vodka in there too.

mhm. He speaks the truth.

i had rum with mine last night.
    mmm
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I drink at least a 2L a day of diet coke/pepsi/dew. Like someone said above, everyone is dif. Some folks it wont affect them where Im sure others it might. I hit my goal weight and never stopped drinking it. To each their own I guess.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/

Its nice to know I'm not the only one who drinks so much of it!!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I drink it regularly.

I know for me, at least, the whole thing about "your body thinks it's sugar and releases insulin!" simply isn't true. I'm type 1 diabetic, and I don't make insulin, period. Likewise, my blood sugar never goes *up* when I drink it, and therefore isn't recognizing it as sugar.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't drink pop, but that's because I don't like it much. If I liked it, I'd drink it.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    A Registered Dietician told me to avoid Diet Coke. I think she thought the chemicals are questionable. I try to keep down my consumption of all diet sodas.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nothing "makes" you fat really. Drinking regular soda has a lot of calories and sugar, and since it's a liquid people will usually dismiss the impact of those calories. I drink diet when I want a soda, but it'd be unwise for your teeth and your self-control to replace water with diet pop, as I know many people will do and then they are addicted to the sweetness of them. As a treat though I like that there are no calories.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Tinfoil hat much?

piratesarecool.jpg

you should consider adding something constructive to the conversation next time you post. ;)

Calling out broscience is very constructive in fact. This graph is just a very nice example of the fact that you can get data to say pretty much whatever you want, when you don't have to apply statistical tests to it or convince anyone that it's relevant. That's why claims that can be substantiated are peer reviewed and pass those statistical tests, and why broscience authors can't find such an article to save their lives :p Very relevant.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 - 4 a day. No issues here
  • JlenniferL
    JlenniferL Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried diet soda but didn't like the taste. Gave up on soda all together. Drink crystal lite raspberry lemonaide or tea. I don't miss the soda.
  • DarkLuca
    DarkLuca Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I lost 28 lbs. all the while drinking 4-5 diet pepsi cans a day. In the last few weeks I quit cold turkey and decided to drink water and have been consuming around 8 or 9 glasses a day and feel a million times better. As far as weight loss rate, I have yet to notice a difference, still losing around 1-1.5 lbs per week.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it because I don't really like it. It's too sweet and tastes really fake to me. On the off chance that I actually do crave a diet soda it's because it's really hot out and I'm dehydrated which I find weird.

I personally like seltzer because you get the fizz of the soda but it's not sweet and nasty.