What are your "red lines" foods and why?

Options
What I mean by red lines, are foods that either trigger a lifestyle change for the worse (or put another way, a diet killer), or that signal an abandonment of your healthy eating habits? Here are a few that history has taught me need to be avoided or at the very least, eaten with extreme caution..

Here are mine:

French Fries - Even as a teenager, I knew that to lose weight and keep it off, fries needed to be approached with extreme caution.
Cinnamon roles - You know, the giant ones they sell at the mall food court that pack about 1,000 calories, that you can buy frozen at the supermarket and bake at home. When I was in school, I would stop by the student union once a week and pick up two of these treats. One for right then, one for later. Big mistake.
Commercially made muffins - Cake for breakfast, 'nuff said.
Donuts - Again even as a teenager, I knew that though they are delicious, starting my day off with a huge load of sugar and fat was not a good idea. Fast forward to 2000. Emergency trip to Florida to help my late father with a health problem he is having. First thing that jumps out at me when I go in his kitchen. Boxes of donuts on the counter. Apparently, his neighbor who worked in a bakery thought he was doing Pops a favor by dropping off a box of these treats every couple of days.

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    mmmm french fries... I get the small size because if I get the large size I will eat them all....
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,295 Member
    Options
    I look at ice cream, chips,donuts, and sweets as red line foods..but they don't tempt me and I have no big history with them.

I have trouble with my favorite foods and condiments like sour cream and olives. those are the two big ones. I buy them to use them in discretion to enjoy my diet..but can't get the portion control ..under control
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, cake, brownies, candy.. sweets in general.
  • quiltergirlar
    quiltergirlar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    chocolate - M&M's and Hershey kisses specifically.

salads and all the good stuff on there, especially cheese and caesar dressing.

coffeemate - not giving that up, trying for moderation

Tammy
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't know yet.......
    So far, so good, but I am only about 8 weeks into this so we will see. I think soda is going to be a bad one for me and probably doughnuts, KitKats and Slim Jims. Those are the things I ate a lot of before I started dieting.
  • cyraelea
    cyraelea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    French fries for sure! And cereal.. I can't eat it by the bowl. I eat it by the box :(
  • TimmyT66
    Options
    Chippy Chips, Belly pork, gravy and mushy peas!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Funny - none of the things you list tempt me in the least.

But trail mix - all kinds - OMG! I could eat it until I'm so stuffed I can't move.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    pizza and spaghetti, one bite leads me to binging on them so I stay away!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Cake, brownies, cookies, pizza, indian buffet (or any buffet), soda, candy, mac and cheese or any creamy pasta. If provided with enough of these items I will devour them within a matter of minutes lol Hard for me to stop once I start.
  • TimmyT66
    Options
    Biscuits I am terrible with can eat the whole packet, if I start
  • martintanz
    Options
    Funny - none of the things you list tempt me in the least.

But trail mix - all kinds - OMG! I could eat it until I'm so stuffed I can't move.

Funny, within reason, I still eat trail mix. Nuts, dried fruit. High in calories but relatively nutritious.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Donuts for me too. Dunkin Donuts Pumpkin Donuts are almost impossible to resist every time I go in for my morning coffee. And they know me because I used to work there and they know it's my favorite and always sneak a Donut in the bag on the day I order and egg white flat bread. They're so good
  • awesome_inferno
    awesome_inferno Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Taco shop (California burritos, deep fried fish tacos, quesadillas, etc...)
    Chocolate (in any form)
    Baked goods (cakes, doughnuts, etc...)
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My red line foods are sweets. I have never been obsessed with all sweets, rather a few like donuts, brownies, and cream cheese icing cakes. I have managed as of late to only eat a half of a donut and throw the other half in the trash, done this twice since joining MFP, so since April I have had one whole donut. Haven't had a brownie since April, and only had a few bites of cake here and there. That's great considering the holiday season is approaching and I intend to maintain my new attitude towards sweets...I can have as many as I want, but I simply don't want them anymore!

MFP works!

On a side note, I had a small hamburger yesterday because I wanted one and hadn't had one in a few months. Within an hour after eating it, I felt like pure crap physically.
  • angelajo01
    Options
    Any type of pasta, I eat way too much, so I tend to stay away from it....
  • babyduck76
    Options
    Definitely French Fries for me.
  • martintanz
    Options
    pizza and spaghetti, one bite leads me to binging on them so I stay away!

My family still does a weekly pizza night, only now it is usually a frozen pizza (calories are known and not too bad) and I usually put spinach, garlic, or artichoke hearts on my portion.

I don't fear, and am not opposed to eating spaghetti in moderation, but in practice, I don't eat it much anymore. When I switch to maintenance sometime in the future, I would still eat it.
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Pizza for me! I eat it (as long as it fits into my calories for the day) but I gain 2 pounds every stinking time I eat it!!! WHY DO I DO IT?!?!?! :huh:
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    For the past six weeks, I have eliminated candy and snack crackers/chips because I know I just have no ability to regulate my intake. I am hoping that in time I will learn to eat those items like normal people (whatever that is). I have felt that consuming these items right now is a slippery slope for me and I'm trying to learn to avoid them, for now. Yesterday I had a candy for the first time in six weeks. Tasted very good. Gift from a friend who went to Hawaii. But I feel no need to have more candy for eating that yesterday. Progress!

My "diet" plan is fairly simple. Everything is permissable, not everything is beneficial. I'm trying to focus on eating foods that benefit me most of the options I have available to me. Protein with carbs or sugars. Elimate a carb here or there where possible, and watch portions. Fast food just is what it is. So when I have to go there due to circumstances, I go armed with nutrition info ahead of time and "pre-select" what I'm gonna eat. Knowledge is power!